whose up for reading a long post and giving advice! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
FOC
Granite Guru

whose up for reading a long post and giving advice!

For a while now I had been trying to decide on whether to buy an older jeep for a fishing vehicle(beach) or just mod out my JK for beach driving. I know my JK is very capable of getting me to my regular fishing spots, but I'm wanting get out a little further. Well, last night after looking at $4,500 to $7,000 jeeps on craigslist, I decided to spend that money on my JK. I was hoping for some feedback on a few things I'm looking at.

First thing is a bumper. I'm looking for a stubby FRONT bumper that has a receiver hitch so I can mount a rod holder or a winch when I need too. I would also want it to have holes for my factory fog lights. So far the only one I've come across is from olympic.

The next thing I'm looking for is a winch. Not sure which one I need. Something strong enough but not overkill. I'll also be looking for an anchor or something I can bury to use as my anchor point if I can't find help. Also wanting a winch plate that hooks up to the receiver. Being able to mount a winch to the front or rear bumper seems really helpful. Anyone have any experience doing this?

Lifts and leveling kits....do I really need a lift? how high without voiding warranties and making my 34's look small, and which leveling kit if my jeeps sags from the weight of the new front bumper.

Already have the tires, kayak rack, shovels, extra floor mats, and bucket. I have a tow strap too, but I'm also looking for a recovery strap.

I think thats it for starters. Any advice or other things I might need would really be helpful. Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 06:34 AM
Rock God

I think you got the bumper all set. As for the winch I'd go with the Mile Marker PEC8 (I think thats the model). eMetal can clarify at least. I've read fantastic reviews about it and it works underwater and is very simple to use. For about $400 it's a really nice setup.

The lift is another question entirely. You have 34's and no lift? If so I would say a 3-4 inch is plenty. I'm no lift expert though. Leveling kits... again no idea cause I'm no expert. Hope this helps.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Banned

That anchor thing you're talking about: google pull pal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Rugged Ridge has a nice stubby front bumper for what your looking for...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 08:19 AM
JKowners Vendor

You'll want at least a front spacer once you add a bumper and a winch, even if you don't want to lift it any. The weight on the front will smash the stock coils a bunch.

With 34's, you might want just a little bit of lift anyway--even if it's just 1".

I have a simple lift/leveling kit that gives you 2" in the front, 1" in the rear that might be the ticket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
post #6 of 7 Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Rock God

I was thinking the 2 1/2" coil kit with some blisten shocks would be the best bang for your buck. The combination will also give you a much better ride on the road than the stock springs and shocks can do. It's short money and you gave the jk a better ride (feel) in the process.

Superwinch is a very capable and highly recommended winch in my book. I had the rebadged milemarker and it broke when I was using it. I cannot say the newest version is the of the same quality but I will not take my chances again. Let's just say I can send you a picture of what it looked like when the master gear stripped under only 1/2 load. I got the superwinch 9k it was like I wasn't even trying. I was trying to pull a downed oak tree out of water. not really that much more moeny either and it was tied in the winch contest with warn.

Pull pal and maybe a highlift with a base in case you get a flat. Need the base in the sand. you can even make it out of your own planks of wood.

As 4 the front bumper there are very few with hitch on it.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 AM Thread Starter
FOC
Granite Guru

thanks for the feedback. I also found these max trax things that look very promising. If they are as good as they make them out to be, then I won't need a land anchor or a winch.

I also found a front receiver bracket that mounts under the factory front bumper. its on a site called hiches online. Great price considering my other option was to buy a winch and special bumper. Now I can look into almost any aftermarket bumper without a front receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode