New JKU Owner with backspacing concerns... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

New JKU Owner with backspacing concerns...

Hi all... I'm new to Jeep and awaiting my 2014 JKU Sport. I've been lurking here for a while, trying to use the search option to it's fullest. I'd like to get your advice on a specific wheel/tire combo that from what I've read, is not perfectly ideal but should work. Thanks for the many backspacing/offset threads and guides.

2014 JKU Sport S
5sp Auto
3.21 gears
stock 17" 255/75/17
90% on road/10% off (mud/gravel/grass)
daily driver

My idea is to get 17x9" Raceline Raptor wheels (5" backspacing) with Goodyear Wrangler Duratec 285/70/17 tires. Any clearance issues that you can think of with a stock suspension?

xvcrysisxv... I know you put the 17x9" Raptors on your stock Wrangler at the time. Any clearance issues up until you installed your lift?

Thanks, I appreciate any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Rock God

Welcome to the forum!

I run 8" wide wheels with 4" backspacing and it sticks out a good 2 inches past the fenders. It sounds like from your description you don't plan on flexing out your suspension so I would think your setup would work, as long as you dont mind the wheels being outside the fenderwells.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #3 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the feedback!

I really like the Raptors but I guess that's the problem with first, finding a wheel you like and then second, checking to see if it fits. I know I should have worked the other way around.

What makes me hesitate about a lift is mainly garage clearance ( I only have a few inches of clearance to play with at stock ride height) and any warranty/dealer problems. A few years down the road, it won't matter as much.

Thanks again...
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

FYI... this is probably old news but I found a nice online offset calculator which shows inner clearance and outer position differences between two different wheel sizes. Very helpful to me.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator
post #5 of 5 Old 10-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Rock God

I'm in the same boat with garage clearance. With 33's you won't gain much if any height over the stock wheels and tires. My new 33" duratracs are maybe 1/2" higher than the factory tires. They are wider and much more aggressive which makes the Jeep look higher, it's a weird optical illusion. I did go with a JKU Rubicon spring and shock take off package which was cheap and gave me about an inch of lift and a much better ride. I still have about 3-4 inches of garage clearance if I decide to go higher.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode