km2 vs mtr kevlar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

km2 vs mtr kevlar

anybody just switch from one to the other and which do you like best. I am considering the move from 35s to 37s. A buddy just bought the new mtr and loves them but cannot tell which is the better all round tire. lets here it, which one is better and why. I love my km2s but will go withthe best one out there.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Rock God

Had both. Loved the KM2's. Now MTR Kev 40's, so far so good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
Rock God

if you are switching to a 37" tire, definately go with the gy mtr/k... i have the 35" mtr/k and i wouldnt go with any other tire..

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 09:12 AM
JKowners Vendor

The MT/R Kevlar is definitely the tire to beat. We haven't even figured out how to kill them in the rental business. We love the KM2's, but the sidewalls are definitely weaker. And the MT/R does better on the icy/wet stuff than the KM, whereas they both do great in the mud, sand and rocks.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #5 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Rock God

jp just released their tire guide and they say the new MTR is better than the KM2. Not by much but better. The new Kevlar reinforcement is supposed to be stronger and quieter.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #6 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wonder if the MTR's stronger sidewall would make a difference in tire balancing. I'm having a devil of a time trying to get my KM2's properly balanced. I think my next set will be the Goodyears. It would be nice to buy American again, too.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #7 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysJK View Post
jp just released their tire guide and they say the new MTR is better than the KM2. Not by much but better. The new Kevlar reinforcement is supposed to be stronger and quieter.
Are there any comments about when they're aired down? I can't remember who it was but someone commented that the Kevlar made them so stiff that the sw wouldn't flex enuf to increase the contact patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #8 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Are there any comments about when they're aired down? I can't remember who it was but someone commented that the Kevlar made them so stiff that the sw wouldn't flex enuf to increase the contact patch.
From what I have heard, it's just the opposite. The way I understand it is the Kevlars flex very well.

I don't have first hand knowledge though. My Kevlars won't be here till Wednesday.
post #9 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Rock God

Both are great traction tires off road and you won't go wrong with either.

I'm currently driving the BFG KM2s with no regrets so far. The new KM2s are very quiet on road and the off road traction is superb. In fact, this tire is probably the best off road traction tire I've ever driven.

In the past I have driven the earlier versions of both the KMs and MT/Rs as well as the Pro Comp Mud Terrains. The older KMs did have a weak sidewall but the traction they offered offset the negatives of the weak side wall. The MT/Rs were a tough tire. The sidewalls were strong but I felt that the traction on wet rocks was not as good as the KMs. The Pro Comp MTs were a pretty good tire. They had above average off road traction but I did see some manufacturing defects that soured me on the brand.

From what I've read the KM2s offer a much stronger sidewall then the older KMs. If what they claim is true and the new sidewalls are at least as strong as the older MT/Rs then I feel the KM2s have successfully upgraded the one weak point that was prolific with the older version. There's no doubt that the new MT/Rs have an even stronger sidewall now with the addition of Kevlar but I wonder if the traction they offer on wet rocks has been upgraded. The older MT/Rs weren't bad on wet rocks but I felt that the KMs were stickier in that specific situation. This was probably due to the compound the older MT/Rs were made out of versus the tread pattern which looks pretty darn good.

Either way, both of these tires are top of the line and comparing one to the other is really splitting hairs.

Those that the beast is looking for...
Listen in awe and you will hear him...
BARK AT THE MOON!
post #10 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
There's no doubt that the new MT/Rs have an even stronger sidewall now with the addition of Kevlar but I wonder if the traction they offer on wet rocks has been upgraded.
Alec W had the other MTR's and upgraded to the new MTR Kevlars. He said he was blown away by the traction difference.

I also was able to clearly see how much flexier the sidewalls are
post #11 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
From what I have heard, it's just the opposite. The way I understand it is the Kevlars flex very well.
They flex differently to most tires, the outer section of the sidewall is more flexible than the inner section, so you get a lot of flex where you want and not so much flex where you don't.

To get the best flex out of the MT/R's with Kevlar you need to get in to single digit pressures in my view. Due to the inner section of the sidewall being less flexible than the outer section you are less likely to lose a bead at low pressures than most other tires.

KM2's only need to go to around 10 psi to get a lot of flex out of them, but as already mentioned this is due their sidewalls not been that strong, although still stronger than the old KM's.

I ran KM2's and didn't really have anything bad to say about them, they gripped great on just about everything, flexed great, and had very good highway manners.

I think the MT/R with Kevlar is even better, although it isn't a night and day difference. The MT/R's have exceptional grip on rock even when it's wet. They are as quiet as KM2's on the highway, if not quieter. However due to the large voids you can feel them a little more than KM2's.

Either tire will perform exceptionally well both on and off road, but I'd give the edge to the MT/R.
post #12 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

anyone hear how many miles you should get out of the MTR's I've got KM2's now and have plenty of tread left after 51K
post #13 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
anyone hear how many miles you should get out of the MTR's I've got KM2's now and have plenty of tread left after 51K
My KM2's started wearing real odd at 30k miles, but that was likely due to imbalance or something. They had plenty of tread left, just worn unevenly.

I don't know, but believe the MT/R's with Kevlar are softer than the KM2's, so wouldn't expect to get as many miles out of them. I am sure they are most probably good for at least 40-50k of highway miles though. I've never got that kind of mileage out of wheeling tires though, as they get chewed up by rocks before then.
post #14 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysJK View Post
i figured quiter and stronger sidewalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery View Post
Had both. Loved the KM2's. Now MTR Kev 40's, so far so good.
let me know how you like em after a couple of months. i love my km2s but if the mtr/k is a better tire then thats what i will probably get

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #15 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Rock God

I have run both the KM2's and the Goodyear MT/R's with Kevlar and the MT/R's is all around a better tire. Stronger side walls, Quiet on the road and Great on the rocks. I put mine through a lot of abuse and they hold up just great.

post #16 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Rock God

That's good to hear about the traction of the new MT/Rs. With the old version the lesser traction on wet rocks is what ultimately drove me back to the KMs. I may have to try the new MT/R for my next set of tires.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #17 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Rock God

I have 35" GY Mtr's mounted on 15's and they flex, and hold there bead very well. I run them a 10 psi, and have had them squished flat on the wheel with no issue. I looked thru my pics trying to find a good shot of just how well they flex, and this is the only one I currently have for an example, but they will lay right down for you; and much greater than in this pic...

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #18 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Rock God

Garage

wow, Im taking a trip to Rausch this weekend.. and was planning on airing down to 18psi (same as I did with my old BFG A/T's) sounds like I need to go lower.. ill do like 14 to be safe.

Anyways, I LOVE my MT/R's. They ride awesome, are quiet, and get AWESOME traction in the rain!!!!

no jeep here...
post #19 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

geek threadjack warning

guys - i was a textile chemistry major, so i can kid of explain about Kevlar.

Kevlar has super high tensile strength, so high that if you were to take a thin kevlar yarn and pull it tight very quick with your hands, it would make the sound of a cap gun when it pops releasing the energy. It has poor shear strength, meaning it is no tougher to cut with scissors than anything else.

there is no rigidity to kevlar at all, unless it is laid withing some substrate (like rubber or in resin like in fiberglass). Therefore, the resulting difference in flex between the MTR and some other nylon tirecord tire is neglible, and not a result of kevlar. It will more or less be a function of the tire engineering.

The advantage to kevlar in the sidewall is akin to a bullet proof vest. When a rock (or bullet) penetrates into the rubber, the kevlar is pulled like a cable. The tensile stength prevents the kevlar and rubber substrate from breaking. Take away the rubber, and the kevlar cuts like paper against the penetrating rock. But leave the rubber coating, and the kevlar acts like re-bar in concrete, just with a tensile stength higher than steel.

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Aboveumall.com Muffler Relocation
Woods Evap Relo
Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
Rough Country quick discos
Rough Country double steering stablizer
wussy interior mods galore
2 Sunshine Kids carseats that exactly match the stock fabric
post #20 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof2 View Post
guys - i was a textile chemistry major, so i can kid of explain about Kevlar.

Kevlar has super high tensile strength, so high that if you were to take a thin kevlar yarn and pull it tight very quick with your hands, it would make the sound of a cap gun when it pops releasing the energy. It has poor shear strength, meaning it is no tougher to cut with scissors than anything else.

there is no rigidity to kevlar at all, unless it is laid withing some substrate (like rubber or in resin like in fiberglass). Therefore, the resulting difference in flex between the MTR and some other nylon tirecord tire is neglible, and not a result of kevlar. It will more or less be a function of the tire engineering.

The advantage to kevlar in the sidewall is akin to a bullet proof vest. When a rock (or bullet) penetrates into the rubber, the kevlar is pulled like a cable. The tensile stength prevents the kevlar and rubber substrate from breaking. Take away the rubber, and the kevlar cuts like paper against the penetrating rock. But leave the rubber coating, and the kevlar acts like re-bar in concrete, just with a tensile stength higher than steel.
Great info!

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #21 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

I like the new MTR's. I drove a set and I think they are even quieter than my Toyo's.

'07 2 door Rubicon Steel Blue & Black 2 Tone
PROUD to be an
post #22 of 77 Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

I ran MTR's on my first Tj, they were all the rage a few years back. They wore out quickly with marginal performance in wet conditions. I then ran BFG Mt's on my lj and they were pretty nice tires a improvement over the MTR's in tread life and traction 47K miles. I currently have BFG KM2's and they are much quieter on the road and with better traction on the rocks wet or dry. The tread life is good 50%@31K miles and I did lose 1 side wall recently which will happen when you wheel a Jeep. I thought about the new Kevlar MTR's and I have not seen a solid write up on the rocks, just sand and dirt. A lot of vendors had then at EJS but Moab is not the ultimate test bed for rock crawling as the surfaces are rather smooth and racing slicks could get traction there. I would like to see a write up locally in AZ before making a move back to Good Year. Looks like my next set are KM2's!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #23 of 77 Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 AM
TrailDuty.com

This was on pretty flat rock at 8 psi. You can see that the outer section of the sidewall is flexing much more than the inner section.

post #24 of 77 Old 08-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
I ran MTR's on my first Tj, they were all the rage a few years back. They wore out quickly with marginal performance in wet conditions. I then ran BFG Mt's on my lj and they were pretty nice tires a improvement over the MTR's in tread life and traction 47K miles. I currently have BFG KM2's and they are much quieter on the road and with better traction on the rocks wet or dry. The tread life is good 50%@31K miles and I did lose 1 side wall recently which will happen when you wheel a Jeep. I thought about the new Kevlar MTR's and I have not seen a solid write up on the rocks, just sand and dirt. A lot of vendors had then at EJS but Moab is not the ultimate test bed for rock crawling as the surfaces are rather smooth and racing slicks could get traction there. I would like to see a write up locally in AZ before making a move back to Good Year. Looks like my next set are KM2's!

Jason
Glad to know that I'm not the only one to experience the MT/R lack of traction on wet rocks.

BARK AT THE MOON!
post #25 of 77 Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
[/IMG]

that is pretty sick right there

performance mods: 3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm lift, ProComp MX-6 shocks, 35 x 12.50 Super Swamper SSRs, 17x8.5" Procomp 9001s in Knight Chrome with 4.5" backspace, Bulldog Fab rear bumper with tire carrier, Smittybilt XRC front bumper, cooltech muffler relocate

appearance mods: budget grille mod, painted A/C rings, made side markers into blinkers, removed "Jeep" front bling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode