ESP issues, the poll lift or no lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
View Poll Results: Do you have ESP issues and do you have a lift?
No ESP issues, No lift 17 32.69%
No ESP issues, With lift 24 46.15%
ESP issues, No lift 4 7.69%
ESP issues, With lift 7 13.46%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-27-2007, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
ESP issues, the poll lift or no lift

OK I don't think this has been done before so I thought I'd put this up.

This is a question about if you have had or not an issue with the ESP.

So please only answer for yourself. Not your cousins best friend's sisters next door neighbor. This is direct experience only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Rock God

ESP "Spot On", no issue's since lift................

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #3 of 23 Old 08-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Granite Guru

So far so good with the ESP issues. I think most of the problems thus far have been with a lift though...

-Casey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Wheeler

Just cast my vote. Had the JK stock for the first two weeks (30" stockers) and no issues. Added 17x8.5" wheels (4.6"bs) and 33x11.50's and now the ESP's been become an issue. No lift, no nothing other than a slightly wider stance and taller rubber. I'm holding off on complaining about it until I lift it. Got a feeling replacing the stock shocks (my toddlers arms are thicker than these things) with something firmer should sure things up for me.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

been a couple of hundred miles since the terraflex 2.5" BB kit and the Spidertraxx spacers went on, no issues yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #6 of 23 Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Rock God

I just voted lift w/no issues, but with this caevet....it seems a little anxious to "help" me around highway on/off ramps. I know the CG is higher, but jeez, limiting me to 25 on the ramps is overkill.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #7 of 23 Old 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Had a problem with the ESP engaging in clover leaf corners occasionally (dry roads and no traction loss, etc...). Also, the light would often kick on unexpectedly, usually when making low speed turns. It would stay on until I shut the JK down and restarted. Had the clock spring replaced (I don't really know if this was the cuprit, but the dealer thought so). Also had my ECM flashed at the same time for the dreaded "Stall Bug". Hasn't been a problem since.

Hoping they didn't just remove the light in the dash...
post #8 of 23 Old 10-01-2007, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

You'd know if they removed the light on the dash. Try a 40 mph powerslide and the ESP will let you know it's still there.

I find it interesting that some have had SP issues on stock vehicles. This obviously indicates that there is a bug of some kind in the out of the factory system. I hope that it is as "easy" as a clock spring as that is an easy mechanical culprit. Although I wouldn't rule out the varied spring sets that came stock (at least in 07 and I don't know about 08). Obviously the system is pretty temperamental/exacting and the littlest of things can trigger false trips that have irritated many a modified JK. Since so much goes into correct vehicle operation hopefully we can eventually help in figuring it out if DC doesn't make some changes first.

Hmm, I wonder has anyone with a stock JK built in 08 had any ESP issues?
post #9 of 23 Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Wheeler

No issues with AiROCK & 37s, the steering wheel isn't exactly dead straight either.

Andy

SOLD: JK on AiROCK w/37's and other stuff.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-04-2007, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Mine isn't what I'd consider dead on either.

I've noticed that if you have a lot of lean this triggers more than pure g-force side to side. So I'm thinking that the center console roll indicator is measuring body roll with perhaps some g-force tip and not necessarily just g-force.

This would explain bad springs or running without sway bars tripping the ESP.

Pure speculation though on my part.
post #11 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

I believe the problem lies in a spring in the steering sensor mechanism sticking or something. I read that someone had solved this by starting the jeep, turining the wheel lock to lock and then back to center, the turn off and restart. Your light should go off after just a few miles of driving if not immediatlely. Worked for me. If this doesn't do it then the suggestion is to have the spring replaced.

Of course, you need to make sure your steering wheel is centered before anyting else

2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Superlift 4", ProComp extreme alloys, 35" MTZ's.

post #12 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan View Post
I believe the problem lies in a spring in the steering sensor mechanism sticking or something. I read that someone had solved this by starting the jeep, turining the wheel lock to lock and then back to center, the turn off and restart. Your light should go off after just a few miles of driving if not immediatlely. Worked for me. If this doesn't do it then the suggestion is to have the spring replaced.

Of course, you need to make sure your steering wheel is centered before anyting else
That was my experience exactly! I read somewhere... *cough* on that "other forum" that the clock spring could be faulty. The light usually went off after I shut my JK down and restarted... I didn't make the connection with the steering wheel lock though.

I ended up at the dealer for the recall ESP flash anyway and they replaced my clock spring at the same time. Sooo... I can't be certain which "fix" cured the problem, but my ESP has engaged when it's supposed to since then and not when it shouldn't.
post #13 of 23 Old 10-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Wheeler

I have ESP issues with just a 1" body lift and 34's. I am hoping with the ECU recalibration for the Tires the computer will better sense the correct speed and G's so it doesn't keep trying to put me into the damn wall.

Jeep: 07 Wrangler X 2DR Black
Crime Guard Alarm with 2way pager, AFE CAI, DynaPro Exhuast
M.O.R.E. Body Lift, Source Co2 Tank, Stubbied Stock Front Bumper
KMC XD 795 Hoss Black 17" wheels and Maxxis Bighorn 305/70/17 tires
Every mod in the write up section.

Old Jeep: 04 Wrangler X Yellow Built To The Hilt For Three Great Years.

POLISH JEEP OWNERS CLUB #2
post #14 of 23 Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougolupski View Post
I have ESP issues with just a 1" body lift and 34's. I am hoping with the ECU recalibration for the Tires the computer will better sense the correct speed and G's so it doesn't keep trying to put me into the damn wall.
Gonna be interested in what ya come up with. I'm not gonna be going bigger than 33's anytime soon and really wouldn't bother blowing $200 just to get my speedo/odometer back to spec....but, if it eliminates my ESP issues I just might have to sink some money into one. At some point, someone has got to come out with a way for us to permanently disable the damn thing.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-06-2007, 01:42 PM
JKO Addict!

mine started after the lift, still doing it once in a while.
post #16 of 23 Old 10-06-2007, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage
Fully disabling the ESP

***WARNING***
If you make this modification you are solely responsible for the outcome. I would recommend that you review these instructions and compare them with your Service Manual. I would suspect that fully disabling the ESP system has all kinds of ramifications and you and you alone are responsible.

Note: I do not recommend this modification. If you are doing this "play" that is fine but if you are performing this mod because your ESP system is ill behaved I suggest you get that rectified before attempting to disable the system.
***WARNING***

It is the violet and lite blue wire under the center console. Snip this wire and the ESP system will completely disengage. Put in a SPST switch and you can completely turn on or off the ESP system. This completely disengages the ESP system. It will NOT come on if the system is disengaged. It will NOT save your behind in the event you loose traction or control. It will NOT come on above 40mph.

Note: This puts th ESP system in a fault condition and you will have warning lights on the dash but the ESP will no longer function.

***WARNING #2***
As with any modification doing this to your JK is entirely and solely your responsibility and I would submit that for "fun times" or special situations you may want to disengage the ESP system but for general use I would not recommend a completely disabled ESP system and if you are having ESP issues you should find the resolution to the problem and not use disabling the ESP system as the cure.
***WARNING #2***

A full read up on this can be read here on the LXForums.

This modification was performed successfully by Nth Degree Mobility so they could take their suspension design to the max in some high speed and mixed traction and control situations.

I initially found this information while in the testing phase of my Nth Degree Mobility prototype lift kit and a desire to drift a loaded 6000 pound JK.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 03:16 AM

I have had esp promblems from bone stock at 2200 miles to present with 2 inch lift and 33's and 26,000 miles been to the dealer for this and a few other prombles nine times.The dealer gave the standard bs,still not fixed to date ..
post #18 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 AM Thread Starter
Broker by the Minute

Garage

I ran across this post yesterday on JeepForum by JeepNorth. In the post he put in some information he found in the manuals regarding the ESP system and resetting th Clock Spring Sensor after having had removed power to the computer for any duration.
Quote:
ELECTRONIC STABILITY PROGRAM (ESP)
If the vehicle is equipped with ESP, once the battery is reconnected, the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) in the clockspring needs to be calibrated. The SAS requires calibration anytime the battery or an ABS (ESP) component has been disconnected for any length of time. If the SAS is not calibrated following battery reconnection, the ESP/BAS indicator lamp is illuminated following five ignition cycles indicating the need for calibration.

To calibrate, perform the following:

1. Start the engine.
2. Center the steering wheel.
3. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the internal stop in the steering gear is met, then turn the wheel all the way to the right until the opposite internal stop in the steering gear is met.
4. Center the steering wheel.
5. Stop the engine.
My reply to this post was that I've had my battery disconnected for days and have never done this. It could be that I'm just lucky and it could be worth a try by disconnecting the negative terminal for a bit so the computer gets reset then try the above procedure. If it works, awesome! If not then it hasn't cost you anything but a few minutes of your time.
post #19 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Granite Guru

Have had no ESP problems before the lift or after.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to droldz

No problems before or after the lift.

I did spin a tire at a stop light paint stripe in the rain today and the ESP light came on

2013 Gecko Rubicon Unlimited 4"SL, LoD, 9.5ti, 35" Nitto"s
post #21 of 23 Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Granite Guru

4.5" total lift and 37's.

The only time have had the ESP engage was when I was driving back to camp from the trailhead (6-8 miles) with 8-10 PSI in the tires going way faster than was prudent.
post #22 of 23 Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
been a couple of hundred miles since the terraflex 2.5" BB kit and the Spidertraxx spacers went on, no issues yet!
I have the same lift and a couple thousand miles, no issues!

07 Yellow Rubi 4 door
- 2.5 Rock Krawler

- OR-FAB Tire Carrier w/Wedco Fuel and Water Jerry Cans

- XHD Front Stuby
- Xenon Narrow
- Superchip
- Pro Comp Series 8128
- 35/1250x17 MT/R Kevlar (Discount Rocks !)
- Synergy Suspension Tie-Rod/Drag Link, Fox ATS!
- Black HotHead Headliner

- Winch (Need)
Finished Pictures->

post #23 of 23 Old 10-30-2007, 08:30 PM
Granite Guru

:The dealership has a flash to fix this it is not the lift but the larger tires. It will also need to be reflashed if you change your diff. I have had the flash and no probs. 35x12.50 4" lift and 4.88

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode