Ideas to upgrade on the cheep? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ideas to upgrade on the cheep?

I recently got my dream Jeep, a slightly used 2012.

It is a completely loaded Sport but stock. I plan to eventually add better tires, etc... but until I can afford to, what are some things I can do to make my ride look different that cost less than ~$100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Rock God

Paint the inside of the top black. 4 cans of Krylon Fusion= about $17 at Walmart. Looks nice and finished the way it should have in the first place. Good luck and congrats on your purchase.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

You can always buy a few cans of plasti dip and have fun with the exterior. You can also get a low profile antenna for about 20$.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks,thanks!
post #5 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Rock God

Google "cheap jeep jk mods"

Try this link:

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44857
post #6 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM
Rock God

You can usually pick up a set of 4 door rubicon springs and shocks for around 100. Should net you 1-2" lift for cheap.

"I used CAD. Cardboard aided design... "
post #7 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT_DAMN View Post
You can usually pick up a set of 4 door rubicon springs and shocks for around 100. Should net you 1-2" lift for cheap.
Alright now! Hadn't thought of that.....
post #8 of 25 Old 10-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Rock God

Buy my bushwacker flares for $300 plus shipping. Cheap huh. Get while you can. I have to get more coverage according to laws where I live.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

or cut stock flares, or buy his

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 25 Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Rock God

Yep was gonna say Rubicon springs and shocks. I did it and got a nice little lift on the cheap.

I also built my steel front bumper out of steel C channel and a harbor freight winch plate for right around $100..theres a thread about it somewhere on here.

$100 should be enough to turn your factory rear bumper into a water tank and run a pump to it. Pressurized Running Water on Jeep Wrangler JK - YouTube

$100 will get you a spiderwebshade...a must for any Jeep owner that likes to take the top off.

Thats all for now...I'm sure there are plenty more.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #11 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 04:04 AM
Rock God

MORE dead pedal if you have an auto trans...did not realize how much I needed it until I got one. Great for long on road trips and for off road descents.

If you are going to wheel it...some basic recovery and safety gear at a minimum...recovery strap, first aid kit, extinguisher, etc...

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 06:33 AM
Rock God

I'll second the dead pedal. One of my first mods.
Also locking storage like the Tuffy (@$125) or Bestop (@$75) under-seat storage for when you are riding doors off.
As far as looks, ditch the factory mirrors for some doors off mirrors full time. Aside from being able to roll doors off they are easy to move out of the way of trees and rocks when you are on the trail.
Sell the plastic steps for a set of Rubi Rails off craigslist or the classifieds. you could probably find a set for about $100.

You can also turn your stock front bumper into a stubby=free.

Oh and tint the rear glass.

Good luck with her!

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #13 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Wow! Thanks guys! So I've already got side rails, but I will definitely look into the upgrade to the Rubicon shocks/suspension, one of my buddies has a 2010 Rubicon that he is going to get lifted so we can work out a deal, I bet!
Dead pedal is a great one, all the bumper ideas ( the rear water bumper is way cool...), and storage of course. All good ideas guys, I'll take any more y'all care to offer.....
Question (maybe for another area?) I want to replace my stock 32" Goodyear Wranglers when they wear out with 33" BFG All-Terrains. If I get the Rubicon lift from my buddy's parts and some wheels spacers, will I have enough clearance for moderate trail riding? Or I suppose I could get a 2" body lift as well if needed....... thoughts?
And thank you..
post #14 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Granite Guru

Paracord grabhandles
How to: Make Your Own Jeep Paracord Grab Handles - YouTube

http://www.paracordplanet.com

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #15 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 08:57 AM
Granite Guru

Oh, and some high-temp black paint and spray the muffler . . first thing I did.

>> Tint the front windows, or better yet, remove doors

2009, 2 Door X, Rancho 4" Sport Lift w/ 9000xl shocks, 35" Firestone Destination MTR on Spidertrax spacers Bulldog Front Bumper w/XRC8 Winch, LoD Rear Bumper, FinishLineWest Rock Sliders, 5.13 G2's, ARB Rear diff cover, LineX'd tub, JL Clean Sweep, JL 900/5 Amp, JL C5 components in front, JL Marine MX-770's in soundbar, JL FS-110 Marine sub, Tuffy security deck, HID's in Cibie's, Piaa 520s
post #16 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Skip the body lift. You can get leveling spacers for cheap if the 4 door rubi springs dont give you enough clearance but they should. Like 1 inch. You might consider throwing them in when you swap the springs anyway.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #17 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILWB View Post
Skip the body lift. You can get leveling spacers for cheap if the 4 door rubi springs dont give you enough clearance but they should. Like 1 inch. You might consider throwing them in when you swap the springs anyway.

I'm also doing this in a couple of days. 1" spacers are around $20 each (mine are by Teraflex).

Another good one is a flexible shorty radio antenna, they are around $17 shipped from AntennaX.com.

And then of course there's always decals... not really practical but they are cheap.

I love my Surprise Straps paracord grab handles, you can get a set of 4 for around $65 and they come in all kinds of colors. I've already installed them on my Rubicon and my wife's Sahara.
post #18 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 AM
Rock God

If you listen to the radio often skip the antenna X. I have not heard good things on the reception using one. If tree branches are a problem, take it off when you hit the trail.

post #19 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude25 View Post
I'm also doing this in a couple of days. 1" spacers are around $20 each (mine are by Teraflex).

Another good one is a flexible shorty radio antenna, they are around $17 shipped from AntennaX.com.

And then of course there's always decals... not really practical but they are cheap.

I love my Surprise Straps paracord grab handles, you can get a set of 4 for around $65 and they come in all kinds of colors. I've already installed them on my Rubicon and my wife's Sahara.
I made all 4 of my grab handles, wrapped the steering wheel. grabbar, and door handles and have leftover for keychains for $45 . . with the mil-spec paracord.

post #20 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
If you listen to the radio often skip the antenna X. I have not heard good things on the reception using one. If tree branches are a problem, take it off when you hit the trail.
I did this (not my jeep but same thing) to mine to clear the lights and noticed 0 performance differences . . . hits every now and the in the carwash but im sure the stocker did as well. . . ll it takes is a pair of piers (and a pair of vicegrips helps to steady it)

Last edited by DanNEBTD; 10-22-2013 at 09:32 AM.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 09:24 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Yeah, it probably depends on the signal strength of the radio station. Where I live, it works fine (and I don't listen to the radio that often anyway).
I just bought it for looks...
post #22 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrego View Post
Question (maybe for another area?) I want to replace my stock 32" Goodyear Wranglers when they wear out with 33" BFG All-Terrains. If I get the Rubicon lift from my buddy's parts and some wheels spacers, will I have enough clearance for moderate trail riding? Or I suppose I could get a 2" body lift as well if needed....... thoughts?
And thank you..
You can run 33s without a lift. I have a set of Goodyear Duratracs that I love as an aggressive all-terrain. Skip the BFG A/Ts

08 "X", RC BB, 33" Duratracs, Coast 1310 front, Hellfires, Woods evap relo.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Granite Guru

You can also paint your stock wheels. I havent done this myself, but I have seen it done. Doesnt look too bad.
post #24 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude25 View Post

Quote:

Awesome! Finally some good answers. So glad to hear that I can get 33"s on there without a sus lift. The leveling spacers sound like a good idea anyway, right? How much you figure the overall height difference will be with both the Rubi parts and the leveling spacers?
post #25 of 25 Old 10-22-2013, 10:03 PM
Wheeler

Dont forget about craigslist deals. I got my rear bumper for $80, it didnt have a scratch on it and would have been 300 plus shipping. i search JK in parts daily.

Roads?

2010 2dr Rubicon
2.5 Rock Krawler Flex
Riddler Diff Covers
Ace Rock Sliders
Mopar Winch Bumper with Bull Bar
Smittybuilt XRC8Comp
Olympic Rear Rock Bumper
Rock Hard Skids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode