Torn on JK purchase. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Torn on JK purchase.

Hello all, I have a Nissan titan that I've been thinking of trading in. I don't know anything about jeeps. I figured this would be a great place to start. The jeep I have found is a 2008 Rubicon 6spd. Its lifted with what seems like very nice parts. Very nice interior. It has been sitting at a dealership for about 5-6 months so I don't know if there is anything wrong with it. My question to you is, have any of you given up a full size pickup for a jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooku77 View Post
Hello all, I have a Nissan titan that I've been thinking of trading in. I don't know anything about jeeps. I figured this would be a great place to start. The jeep I have found is a 2008 Rubicon 6spd. Its lifted with what seems like very nice parts. Very nice interior. It has been sitting at a dealership for about 5-6 months so I don't know if there is anything wrong with it. My question to you is, have any of you given up a full size pickup for a jeep?
I had a full size pickup before the jeep. If you don't plan on going offroad with it I'd suggest to look for another vehicle. I knew going from a V8 to a V6 not to expect much. The V6 is a dog, but I enjoy beating my rig up so it has been worth it for me. I'm always skeptical of pre-lifted vehicles because you never know who did what to it. For me the price would be a huge factor since I bet they are asking quite high for it.
post #3 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeGo4x4 View Post
I had a full size pickup before the jeep. If you don't plan on going offroad with it I'd suggest to look for another vehicle. I knew going from a V8 to a V6 not to expect much. The V6 is a dog, but I enjoy beating my rig up so it has been worth it for me. I'm always skeptical of pre-lifted vehicles because you never know who did what to it. For me the price would be a huge factor since I bet they are asking quite high for it.
Yes they are asking 24k for it. I had a chance to look quickly in the wheel wells and there was a thick layer of spray paint. I understand people want to jazz things up before trade in but this didn't appear to be the case.

Sponsored By IE Muscle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

I went from a Nissan Titan (actually two of them) to the JK. The last Titan was a crew cab long bed with 8"s of lift. It was fun in mud, but you couldn't get it down a trail for shit because of the size. The JK allows me to do more than blast through mud and has been a lot of fun to this point. As mentioned above, if you have a heavy right foot you will be disappointed with the response to such input. I've come to terms with it and am not looking back.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #5 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM
JKO Addict!

What are you hoping to get out of owning a JK? Are you looking at a 2 or 4 door? What options? As already stated, a JK can't get out of it's own way so expect a huge drop off in power. If you're looking for off road fun then a JK is one good choice. My take on the JK. The biggest piece of shit that I ever loved.
post #6 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

It will be a shocker going from the HP/torque that I have now, but I want to go mudding, camping general enjoyment of those types of vehicles.
post #7 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
It will be a shocker going from the HP/torque that I have now, but I want to go mudding, camping general enjoyment of those types of vehicles.
You can do that in your Titan.

I would be weary of a pre-lifted JK. Depending on who did, it may just be a disaster waiting to happen, causing you to sink more money in to it later on. If it is like 4" lift on just springs and shocks for instance, you would need more money to make it drive correctly. Also what size tires are on it? If 35's, you would want a deeper gear ratio.

$24K is high to me for a 6 yr old vehicle. You could damn near get a brand new Sport for that. Personally I wouldn't buy anything someone else modified, I would look for a stock rig and make it my own, be it used or new.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #8 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

No one has said this yet no doors no top dont think the titan can do that too easy lol

the off road is all fine and good (it is damn near unstopable with the right ad ons)

but for me the selling point (besides being in a jeep my whole life) is...
the doors come off
top goes away
and I grab the fam and head to the Ice cream stand...just cant beat that

Jeep (wrangler) has always been a Love it or Hate it kind of thing

but if you have never had one you will never know what side you are on

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #9 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_M View Post
You can do that in your Titan.

I would be weary of a pre-lifted JK. Depending on who did, it may just be a disaster waiting to happen, causing you to sink more money in to it later on. If it is like 4" lift on just springs and shocks for instance, you would need more money to make it drive correctly. Also what size tires are on it? If 35's, you would want a deeper gear ratio.

$24K is high to me for a 6 yr old vehicle. You could damn near get a brand new Sport for that. Personally I wouldn't buy anything someone else modified, I would look for a stock rig and make it my own, be it used or new.

-Dan
I like what you've said here. I think I'm going to pass on this vehicle but I am glad I joined this forum
post #10 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Rock God

You could always keep your Titan and buy a side by side (UTV). UTVs now are where Jeeps used to be 30 years ago. They are small and simple, and not over burdened with electronic nannys, traction control, and emissions systems. In many ways they are more capable and more fun than a JK. A four door JK cant get to many of the places we used to go with old CJs and YJs simply because they have become big swollen vehicles that are more meant for highway cruising than for back country fun.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #11 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
No one has said this yet no doors no top dont think the titan can do that too easy lol

the off road is all fine and good (it is damn near unstopable with the right ad ons)

but for me the selling point (besides being in a jeep my whole life) is...
the doors come off
top goes away
and I grab the fam and head to the Ice cream stand...just cant beat that

Jeep (wrangler) has always been a Love it or Hate it kind of thing

but if you have never had one you will never know what side you are on
Your right about not being able to do that in my Titan. I have it lifted 6" but I have to be very careful while off roading with it. I have giant tow mirrors that cost 400 a pop and if I smash those off I'm kind of screwed lol.

Sponsored By IE Muscle
post #12 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you all for your responses this far. Just what I was looking for without blasting the jeep noob to shreds.
post #13 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Need to know specs of vehicle in question (Mileage, modifications, etc).

Modifications don't usually increase the overall value of a vehicle very much unless they are extensive and well documented (example - V8 swapped JK on 1 ton axles might bring a premium).

I disagree with those that are saying not to buy a modified vehicle.

The fact is you never know how the previous owner treated the Jeep, whether it has been modified or not. You just need to give it a good inspection.

You can probably save a little money on mods up front, and even if they aren't the best components, you can always upgrade later on.

That being said its fun to modify a vehicle to your own tastes. Just very expensive...

If you don't plan on taking the Jeep offroad, there are better vehicles to buy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

try borrowing one
or renting one
or some way to get in one for a few days

you should know preety quik if its a good match for you

then its just finding a good deal on one...or letting the dream die

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
post #15 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

I'm not sure where your located. But I got a brand new 2013 sport 2 door for 20,000 out the door. if you want something new you could look into that and take the extra 4000 and put it toward mods. You could put lift rims tires and probably bumpers on it with that depending on what you want. That being said I went from a full size truck to a jeep and there are some things I miss about it but I feel like I put the jeep to more use than I did my truck.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #16 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcdowell11290 View Post
I'm not sure where your located. But I got a brand new 2013 sport 2 door for 20,000 out the door. if you want something new you could look into that and take the extra 4000 and put it toward mods. You could put lift rims tires and probably bumpers on it with that depending on what you want. That being said I went from a full size truck to a jeep and there are some things I miss about it but I feel like I put the jeep to more use than I did my truck.

What sets the Rubicon apart from the others? What model should I be looking for?

Sponsored By IE Muscle
post #17 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Depends on many things.

What is your end game?

Do you plan on going to one-tons anytime soon? 40's?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #18 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Depends on many things.

What is your end game?

Do you plan on going to one-tons anytime soon? 40's?

No not in the immediate future, but lift, 35's and basic bolt ons for now. Then we will see what next year brings if I ever get a raise. Maybe one tons in the future.

Last edited by dooku77; 10-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
post #19 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Someone else on here can probably answer that question better than me but off the top of my head. It has electronic sway bar disconnects beefier suspension a bigger front axle I'm not sure if the rear is the same or not and it has lockers in it as well there might be a few things I'm missing. But if your in to building something I'd suggest getting a new sport and doing it the way you want it. In my opinion the peace of mind factor you get doing the stuff to it you want opposed to buying one already modded is priceless that's just my opinion though.

post #20 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
What sets the Rubicon apart from the others? What model should I be looking for?

Sponsored By IE Muscle
Rubicon has Dana 44 axles front and rear with Electronic Lockers F/R & 4.10:1 Gears.
Rubicon has a 4:1 Transfer Case.

All other models have a Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear and no lockers & Various gear ratio's up to 3.73:1 max.
Non-Rubicon's have a 2.72:1 Transfer Case.

There are a few other differences, but those are the big ones. If you plan on doing any rock crawling you will want the 4:1 TC, if not more, and shorter gears. Once you upgrade to 35"+ tires the non-Rubi gears get pretty worthless and makes the JK difficult on road, especially the auto.

If you are just mudding then the taller TC and gears won't hurt you any, in fact they are better for keeping your wheel speed up to clean out the tires.

*edit* oh yeah electronic swaybar disconnects on the Rubicon as well, as posted above.
The D44 axles are also 30 spline in the non-Rubi and 32 spline in the Rubicon D44's.
Suspension isn't really "beefier", it has gas shocks, but so do the Sahara's, and they will typically get replaced when lifted anyway.
*edit*

Jeepless

Last edited by FuLcRuM; 10-18-2013 at 10:59 AM.
post #21 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Rock God

Some Rubicons have 3.73's with 4.10 as an option. Not sure what years though.

There is an age old debate of Rubicon vs Sport. Some people want the extra gadgets and Dana 44 or the "prestige" of saying you have a Rubicon. But the Sport model is a very capable vehicle on its own and even more so once you replace all the stuff you would be replacing even if you got a Rubicon like the tires, springs, and shocks.

I traded a 2010 Nissan Pro-4X Frontier fully loaded on my bare bones 2007 Wrangler X and I love the Wrangler more than I ever loved the Frontier. I don't miss power windows or keyless entry or bluetooth or any of that. Once the top and doors come off you kinda realize none of that other stuff matters. It's a whole new experience. Plus you can get all that stuff on a Jeep too if you really want it.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #22 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well the deal folded at the dealership today. Sales guy was a jerk. Said that they wouldn't budge on price. Oh well, I'll keep searching I guess.
post #23 of 25 Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Rock God

Well you said it had been on the lot for months. There is your reason. They are either way upside down on it or just stubborn and waiting for a sucker. Probably better off finding a more friendly dealer. I would look for a leftover 13 model and get a great deal. There are some cheap ones on Autotrader right now.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #24 of 25 Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
Well you said it had been on the lot for months. There is your reason. They are either way upside down on it or just stubborn and waiting for a sucker. Probably better off finding a more friendly dealer. I would look for a leftover 13 model and get a great deal. There are some cheap ones on Autotrader right now.
You are correct. They gave me some bs story that its selling exactly what the market price is. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I'll check autotrader now.
post #25 of 25 Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 AM
TOK
Wheeler

I think the Wrangler is the number one vehicle for holding its resale value. I started looking for a used one and ended up dropping the couple extra grand for a new 2013 to avoid buying someone else's neglect/mistakes.

Its a double whammy if you're trading the Titan because I think they're the opposite with holding value. I have a Titan Crew Cab and will probably just drive it until it dies for that reason. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode