Limiting Straps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Limiting Straps

Just installed my Rock krawler 3.5' lift and was thinking of adding limiting straps to it.
What's the thought on these good to have or not need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Most people including myself aren't using them, but they are definitely a good idea. I've been wanting to put some on mine for a while. Doesn't really matter what lift you are running, they all could use them.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

from what i have seen the straps come in handy to prevent springs from popping out, shocks from bottoming out and your brake lines from getting stretched out and ripping.

eh, go for it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Rock God

Always a good idea if you like to keep your equipment in working order. Some people think that adding a limit strap will limit your articulation. This is true and it's a good thing. Otherwise, you are depending on your shocks and brake lines to stop your axle from drooping which they are not intended to do.

If you decide to add them you will need an upper mount on the frame(I suggest an adjustable mount so that the length can be fine tuned), a lower mount on the axle, and the limit strap itself.

The limit strap is measured from mounting point to mounting point in length so you will need to first determine the best mounting locations. Once you have the mounting points figured out you will need to raise the front of the vehicle until the wheels lift off the ground and measure between the mounting points. Take this length and subtract at least1" in order to limit the suspension before the shocks and brake lines do. Repeat for the rear and order up the parts.

Here is a link for what you will need:
http://www.rdmoffroad.com/limitstraps.aspx

Let me know if you have any questions.

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #5 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Rock God

If you need something made in a custom length we can conspire with Safari Straps to help you. We have the mounting tabs they are the same as our rear tire carrier limit straps and Hatch can make the exact length you need.

If its off the shelf length than RDM will be much more competitive but if you need exact we can do it.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have the Teraflex 6" long arm kit and ORW recommended and installed a set for me, I highly recommend them like said if you fully articulate your system it saves the springs from coming out too.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
Rock God

I have about 8.75" of lift and rely on my rubi sway bar to keep the axle under the Jeep during flex. In the pic below I flexed so far that my sway bar reversed direction and it took 2 guys to flip it back.

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPTwinz View Post
I have about 8.75" of lift and rely on my rubi sway bar to keep the axle under the Jeep during flex. In the pic below I flexed so far that my sway bar reversed direction and it took 2 guys to flip it back.

Got any pic's of that beast on level ground, also what size tires you running.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

saw the link, sick brother
post #10 of 16 Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Rock God

Here's a crude mock up done in Paint to show you good mounting point for the front.

Lower shock mount can be used as the lower strap mount and the adjustable clevis mount can be welded to the frame above.
Attached Images

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #11 of 16 Old 08-07-2009, 01:07 PM
Rock God

And here I thought thats what my break lines are for.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
saw the link, sick brother
Thanks man. My love for everything Jeep grows with each day and sites like this really help feed that addiction

09 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red
~8.5" TeraFlex LCG Long Arm
~41x14.50 Interco IROK Radials
~20x10 RBP-93R wheels with red inserts
~RCV Performance front D44 CV-style axle shafts
~Posion Spyder Crusher flares, Rock Brawler Bumper, Rocker Knockers w/sliders and Hawse fairlead
~Warn 9.5ti Winch w/synthetic line
~Rhino Lining tub
~Katzkin interior
~10lb Powertank & VIAR Xtreme
~Drake Off-Road billet bling
Check out my build here....
post #13 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatTreater View Post
Just installed my Rock krawler 3.5' lift and was thinking of adding limiting straps to it.
What's the thought on these good to have or not need.
They are not a bad idea...

Here is a link to some limit strap stuff...

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #14 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Hey PIG, I was getting ready to order some straps from you guys. two quick questions...

How far do your straps stretch?

I see there is a option for a sleeve when ordering the clevis. Is that just a piece of steel tube that you weld straight on as a mounting point for the clevis?

Thankx
post #15 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
Hey PIG, I was getting ready to order some straps from you guys. two quick questions...

How far do your straps stretch?

I see there is a option for a sleeve when ordering the clevis. Is that just a piece of steel tube that you weld straight on as a mounting point for the clevis?

Thankx
I usually allow 5% for stretch...
Yes, the sleeve option is available when ordering the clevis online...

Clevis Mount

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #16 of 16 Old 08-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Granite Guru

We installed straps on mine to protect the shocks and to be sure the springs stay in place. I would rather the straps take the punishment than the shocks. They are just cheap insurance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode