Rear bumper mods?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Rear bumper mods??

Anything from stock to Aftermarket to custom fabricated???

lets see some pic's

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Granite Guru

the only 2 mods I've ever seen was the cup holder mod and the rear back up lights in the rear bumper, theres probably more out there

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #3 of 16 Old 08-05-2009, 09:33 PM
JKO Addict!

stock w/Hi-lift. Despite many saying it'll get torn off, it has been dug hard into the ground under pretty high obstacles. Has a few scrapes on it, and is holding very solid. To my surprise actually. No intentions of moving it, it holds it own well. I wheel pretty decently as well.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
stock w/Hi-lift. Despite many saying it'll get torn off, it has been dug hard into the ground under pretty high obstacles. Has a few scrapes on it, and is holding very solid. To my surprise actually. No intentions of moving it, it holds it own well. I wheel pretty decently as well.

With the stock bumpers, where do you place the high lift to raise the vehicle?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Hitch, tow hook, or on the Rock sliders if i have to. I have a aftermarket front bumper as well.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Rock God

Garage

i have seen a rancho rear tire carrier (no corner protection) with the stock bumper cut up and used to fill in the gaps, that looked great

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #7 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

got any pics of that rancho setup. just interested to see how it looks : )
post #8 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

i might but they woudl be imported from an evil associated forum

Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #9 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

THIS IS NOT MY JEEP
i do plan on doing this though...eventually

and

post #10 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Rock God

I have a Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier but didnt like the ideal how the tire swing and tailgate swings indepently. So got a Expedition-One rear tailgate plate with tabs. welded some tabs to the tire swing and made a shackle to link the tailgate to the tire swing.

and now they swing together! i also have a Woods tailgate shock.

next mod would be some gas cans, hi-lift mount and maybe a new latch. current Smittybilt latch makes it difficult to slam the tailgate shut

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 08-06-2009 at 10:31 AM.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
I have a Smittybilt SRC rear bumper with tire carrier but didnt like the ideal how the tire swing and tailgate swings indepently. So got a Expedition-One rear tailgate plate with tabs. welded some tabs to the tire swing and made a shackle to link the tailgate to the tire swing.

and now they swing together! i also have a Woods tailgate shock.

next mod would be some gas cans and hi-lift mount

now that is pretty slick my friend, nicely done

and

post #12 of 16 Old 08-07-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Chris85xlt

Thats impressive!!

How does it do when you close the gate? Does the weight affect your metal on your gate? I know thats a lot of weight hitting one area. Are you thinking you could add another support to a different area to spread the hit out?

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Last edited by fourplyn; 08-07-2009 at 01:16 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Thats impressive!!

How does it do when you close the gate? Does the weight affect your metal on your gate? I know thats a lot of weight hitting one area. Are you thinking you could add another support to a different area to spread the hit out?
the Smittybilt SRC bumper by itself was actually pretty sturdy. it has a solid hinge on passenger side and latches on the driver side. it did have a slight side to side wiggle on rough roads but now that i have it connected to the tailgate...its SOLID! The bump/tire carrier is handling most of the weight. the tailgate is just stablizing it with a link that has bushings on both ends.
the tailgate plate with tab is made of 3/16" steel and uses 8 of the bolt holes in the tailgate and its holding up pretty good. The plate came from Expeditionone.com. they use it on their rear bumper w/ tire carrier
post #14 of 16 Old 08-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Granite Guru

Had this:

Then got this:

I much prefer the tire carrier that opens with the tailgate. I can open the back of the Jeep with one hand...with the FF it took two hands and more time to open the back, I rarely would open it...really like the Expedition One.

07 Jeep Green 2 door Rubicon; OME Std suspension; 33" BFG KM2; Shrockworks stubby front, Expedition One rear bumpers, JKS adj trackbars f/r, Poly HD tie rod, Moog TRE on drag link.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Had This

Got This

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-13-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

joePile...I like that set up with the Rancho rear tire carrier...I think making some custom corner protectors would be better for the trail though...

Past jeep:
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode