Passenger seat air bag blew up while off road!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 AM
Alec W

Passenger seat air bag blew up while off road!!

I was off road on Holy Cross in Colorado today and at the top of Cleveland Rock (it’s a hardcore obstacle and the highest hard obstacle altitude wise in the country).

Right at the top I had to gun it and landed hard on a frame rail then heard what sounded like a gun shot. The Jeep shut down instantly, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and the hazard lights were on, I also smelt what I thought was an electrical burning smell. Nothing worked for like a minute and I thought I’d blown a drive shaft or something but my ears were ringing and I was way freaked out. Weird feeling!

After I got it started and got up the obstacle, popped the hood to look at the battery etc. then noticed the passenger seat air bag was out (which explains the smell and noise). It totally blew the crap out of the side of the passenger seat and it looks like its history.

Anyone had anything like that happen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Alec W

PS. I think I got one of the first JKs up Cleveland Rock and hopefully I can get video some time soon
post #3 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Rock God

so it was just the seat bag that blew none the rest? das weird

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Alec W

Yep just the one seat bag. I thought they were disabled when in 4x4 low?
post #5 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Pics?
post #6 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Ipe
Rock God

Damn Alec, I'm glad that no one was in the passenger seat! This is scary as hell.

post #7 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Yep just the one seat bag. I thought they were disabled when in 4x4 low?
They are NOT disabled in 4 low.

This is the second confirmed sighting of blown side air bags. Now I'm wondering if it was a bad idea to have them...

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #8 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

Damn, I can't believe that, make sure and get some pics and video up. Congrats on Cleveland rock, have you seen the video with Clifton doing a burnout on the top of it?

"The best beer cooler in the world will always be the edge of your favorite river."
post #9 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow! I'd have to imagine it was a hard hit. I can't believe the damn thing blew out.
post #10 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
Rock God

It would be really nice to get some more FACTS on the AB system. My understanding is that there is the one sensor in the center of the rig that measures inertia and abrupt haults/impacts. I didnt think it was selectable to any specific AB's?! I would have thought if one went, then they all went?! I'm by no means an expert on them... again, I wish we could get some real answers.

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #11 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Rock God

Sorry this happened. Must be one hell of a trail.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #12 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

that ridiculous man, def get some pics

2008 BLACK Unlimited Sahara
Poly Performance 3"on 35" Xterrains and 15" Soft 8s, Front Pro Rock 44, FLW Front Prerunner, FLW Rear Bumper, FLW Rock Sliders, River Raider Gen2 Snorkel, Superior 5.13s,
and

post #13 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
PS. I think I got one of the first JKs up Cleveland Rock and hopefully I can get video some time soon
Screw the airbag.. I want to see the video of this!

I wish I didn't have seat air bags so I could put some MasterCraft or Twisted Stitch seats in there!!

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The front airbags won't go off unless you are going at least 17 mph. The side airbags - I'm not sure what their parameters are, but after hearing this, I think I'll be pulling my airbag fuse before wheeling.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #15 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Here's a video of someone wheeling and the side airbag goes off

The guy that that happened to asked about a way to disable them in the future

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=28

So according to the airbag guy that assembled and re-installed my driver's seat. You can pull the airbag fuse(s) to disable them and then plug them back in afterwards. I say fuses with the parenthesis beacause there are more than one but they are all connected together with a plastic yellow cap.

While the key is off pull up on the yellow fuse(s) cap. Afterwards, while the vehicle is in operation, the airbags will be disable and the deployed airbag light will be lit up on the dash as well as the passenger side air bag light in the center console.

To re-engage them, while the key is off, press the yellow fuse(s) cap back into position. When the vehicle is restarted it should recognized the airbags and the lights will not be lit up and the airbags will be back to normal operation.

He did mention that there is a possiblility that after plugging the fuses back in, that the lights may remain on. If this is the case, you can disconnect the battery for a few minutes allowing the computer to reset, and then try again. If by chance they are still on you might have to go to dealer or somewhere with the starscan or similar to get the error code cleared.
post #16 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Garage

I just want to take them out completely (the seat bags) but so far no luck in being able to do that without a airbag light for the rest of my life.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I just want to take them out completely (the seat bags) but so far no luck in being able to do that without a airbag light for the rest of my life.
Shouldn't the dealer be able to disable with a star scan? Since most JK's don't have the seat airbags...

Jason
post #18 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I saw somewhere may have been jkf or jeepforum that someone put a resistor I think in the connector to fool the computer that the airbag was there.
post #19 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Shouldn't the dealer be able to disable with a star scan? Since most JK's don't have the seat airbags...
You would think right, but somehow that is not possible.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #20 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You would think right, but somehow that is not possible.
probably a liability issue. If the jeep is equipped with them, then the dealer could open themselves up to a huge lawsuit if they disabled them and someone got injured in an accident
post #21 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 01:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

found this, wonder if it would shut off the seat airbags also

NUMBER: 08-001-07 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: February 7, 2007

SUBJECT:
Passenger Air Bag Deactivation

DISCUSSION:
DaimlerChrysler Corporation is now offering a passenger airbag deactivation wiring
package for the selected vehicles listed above. The wiring package is a kit containing all
necessary parts and a detailed instruction sheet. In the U.S., under the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration’s rule, consumers will be authorized for airbag deactivation by
claiming they meet any of several criteria. Passenger airbag deactivation must not be
installed without the vehicle owner presenting the NHTSA authorization letter. For more
information concerning the authorization process and/or the authorization letter call
NHTSA’s Auto Safety Hotline at 1-800-424-9393. We encourage you (dealer) to install
these wiring packages when the customer is interested in doing so and has the necessary
NHTSA authorization.

POLICY:
Information Only
post #22 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

wow...

I was actually disappointed that my Rubicon didn't have side airbags... Now, I am happy it does not! That is fawked up.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #23 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

A little black paint over the light...all fixed lol.

That'll be a $50.00 consulting fee kind sir.

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
post #24 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Leave it to Alec to find the weird weaknesses. Sorry for the luck Bro. Now let's see them pics.
post #25 of 32 Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
Alec W

I actually tried to order my JK without seat air bags but I was told that you had to have them when you order half doors. The irony is that they are about useless anyway. If like most of us your seats backs are about level with the b pillar and you have seat covers they don’t come out enough to really help (which is why I don’t see it for a while). Even if you have the type of seat covers with a flap on the side specifically for them they still don’t work worth a crap.

I actually tried to order my JK without seat air bags but I was told that you had to have them when you order half doors. The irony is that they are about useless anyway. If like most of us your seats backs are about level with the b pillar and you have seat covers, they didn't come out enough to really help (which is why I don’t see it for a while). Even if you have the type of seat covers with a flap on the side specifically for them they still don’t work worth a crap.

Anyhow, I have a light on the dash now for the missing airbag and I hate lights on the dash. Not to worry though, I’ve taken care of the problem for now with some strategically placed electrical tape
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode