Thinking flares but torn - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thinking flares but torn

Got a little bit of money to spend and I am considering some flares. Initially considering the Bushwackers but not exactly keen on the plastic and the raised outside "tube" of them. Maybe PSC Aluminum or steel. I just dot know. I know the steel vs aluminum weight wise is another 40 pounds heavier on steel but is it really a big deal in the big scheme of things.

I have the Teraflex 6" long arm and 37's. no mediate plans for any hardcore wheeling due to a two year old and another due here any minute. However in the future there will be some potential scrapes and some 40's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Granite Guru

I went with the Bushwackers myself after being advised that the tubs on the JK's aren't as strong as the T/YJ's and that its easy for the tub to collapse under the metal tube fender if pushed against a rock or tree. I'm not sure just how big of concern it really would be but I'd rather destroy a piece of plastic than my tub.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #3 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'm on my third set of PSC flares on my third JK. I ran aluminum on the first one and have put steel on the last two. There is a significant weight savings with the aluminum flares and they won't rust in the crevices either.

Whether you bolt on a plastic flare or a metal flare, you still stand the chance of damaging the tub when you smash the fenders into something. I have laid one of the Jeeps on it's side with the PSC flares and there wasn't any damage to the tub. The plastic flares will deform and will ultimately end up being smashed between the body and the hard surface. You're not going to have that with a steel / aluminum flare and the force will be spread evenly over the mounting points which should result in less damage if any vs the alternative.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20captain View Post
Got a little bit of money to spend and I am considering some flares. Initially considering the Bushwackers but not exactly keen on the plastic and the raised outside "tube" of them. Maybe PSC Aluminum or steel. I just dot know. I know the steel vs aluminum weight wise is another 40 pounds heavier on steel but is it really a big deal in the big scheme of things.

I have the Teraflex 6" long arm and 37's. no mediate plans for any hardcore wheeling due to a two year old and another due here any minute. However in the future there will be some potential scrapes and some 40's.

What are your fender laws in your state?

I have the bushwackers. Bought from marcus in early 2012. After running them for awhile i have rubbed on two trees leaving a crease in the front driver and the rear driver. They are not terrible looking and honestly love the flares.

Knowing what I do know today though I wish I would have just cut my stock flares. I am going to be taking my flares off in the up coming week or so to install some narrow cut stock flares. After doing a set for a buddy I am sold on them.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

Forget state law, fix-it tickets are cheap! Go with what looks good.

PSC Narrow!

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #6 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Rock God

Peoblem with narrow flares is that your jeep will get covered in shit. I washed 140lbs of dried mud off my jeep last weekend. And am planning on having extensions made for the fronts.

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 03:11 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Peoblem with narrow flares is that your jeep will get covered in shit. I washed 140lbs of dried mud off my jeep last weekend. And am planning on having extensions made for the fronts.

Mud sucks.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

What about ACE wide tube fenders? Anyone running them?
http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...ders_p_80.html

2009 JKU

Last edited by JKommuter; 10-15-2013 at 06:12 AM. Reason: added link
post #9 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 06:50 AM
Rock God

MCE are Very Nice

post #10 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 AM
Made in the U.S.A.

Garage

There is a pic int his thread of a Jeep laid on it's side with GenRight flares: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66353

GenRight Off-Road - Genuine Ideas Engineered Right
4535 Runway Street, Simi Valley, California 93063
805-584-8635

/
/
/
/

post #11 of 11 Old 10-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Do not waste your money on the buskwackers. They are just stiff enough to take a hit and send it to the sheet metal, and not stiff enough to disctibute that hit over the whole surface. Not to mention that fade pretty bad. If mine were not free I would not be running them.

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode