Evap system???? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Evap system????

Got a gascap warning light on the dash. No big deal. Eventually turns into a check engine light. I scan the system and get a gas cap code and a very small leak detected. I replace the gas cap and reset the computer. Start the engine and the gascap warning instantly comes back on and the check engine light comes back on a couple start cycles later. I was not wheeling. no visible damage to anything. Evap canister appears fine. If it was damaged it would be a large leak detected. Anyone else have a similiar problem?? I'm confused??? Getting ready to take it in. Still under warranty for another 2500 miles.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

you have a evap leak somewhere. Recheck all your hoses and canister also check the connections on the top of the tank. You can see them through the pass rear wheel well. I got that warning and found a crack in my canister. I used epoxy on it and it seal back up.
To find the leak I capped one end and blew into the other while spraying with soapy water
good luck

2008 Stone White 2DR X
Cutsom TJ front 2" springs with 2 spacers
Teraflex rear 3" 4dr. springs heated so they actually sit 3" on my 2dr
Custom rear shock mounts
285x75 R16 Treadwright MTRs Yeah they rock soon to be 315x70 R16
Xenon Narrow Flares
Woods Steering Stabilzer Bracket
Teraflex rear driveline
Mopar Frt bumper made Stubby
KC Slimlites
Bikini Top
Custom exhaust - Flowmaster single chamber with Woods tail pipe
Lots of Beer Consumption
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Evap system is covered to 8 years, 80,000miles...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Granite Guru

what about if you melt it because your relocated muffler came apart and blows hot exhaust right on it?

2008 Silver "Sara" Unltd
Aboveumall.com Muffler Relocation
Woods Evap Relo
Rough Country 3.25" Suspension Lift
Rough Country quick discos
Rough Country double steering stablizer
wussy interior mods galore
2 Sunshine Kids carseats that exactly match the stock fabric
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherof2 View Post
what about if you melt it because your relocated muffler came apart and blows hot exhaust right on it?
that my friend would depend on your dealer. they woulnt warrant mine because i had crushed the gas tank skid plate and said that was why they woulnt warrant the or even try to find the problem with the check engine light and gascapn light loose. I should make them warranty the gas tank skid and then warrant the gas cap and check engine light. I think they should also warranty the crossmember that is bent to crap too.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Rock God

yea this happened to me....looked under it and turned out the evap canister wasn't even there anymore

Like us on

post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Rock God

if you find out what is causing your problem, please post up because I dont think my crushed gas tank skid caused mine since it was crushed 10 months before the light ever came on. I think t0morrow, i will swap evaps with my wifes and see if that makes a difference.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

do you get the P0456 or 0457? I've been getting the gas cap light and then sometimes the 0456 which is small leak detected. I have the kilby relocate kit for about a year and a half, I checked everything, no cracks even checked the hoses going to the gas tank and filler hose

so let us know if they figure it out
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
do you get the P0456 or 0457? I've been getting the gas cap light and then sometimes the 0456 which is small leak detected. I have the kilby relocate kit for about a year and a half, I checked everything, no cracks even checked the hoses going to the gas tank and filler hose

Mine threw a code after relocating my evap (several days after though). Four 1 1/2 inch hose clamps took care of the vacuum leak though and no more codes.

2008 Rubicon 2 Dr 6 speed
Stone White
post #10 of 11 Old 08-06-2009, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post

both

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #11 of 11 Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Wheeler

I have this issue....P0456 on mine.

I am going to try the clamp thing tonight....
I brought my jeep into a garage and told them what's up and they gave me sh!t saying that I used a "canadian tire scan tool" even though I only used the key trick.

Anyway, I bought a locking gas cap after they told me it was the gas cap that was the issue. Pulled battery cleared the codes....went on a few long road trips,(this is all since the 3rd of June) and now the code is back.

It's driving me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode