Engine oil viscosity - noise, ticking, ADB, life, precision... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Engine oil viscosity - noise, ticking, ADB, life, precision...

So my Jeep has finally reached 3k miles and is bugging me to change its oil. Owner's manual and fill cap says 5w-20 for all conditions. Which got me to thinking about a few things, and a few things my Jeep's engine has been doing.

First the recommended viscosity. That's thin for a pushrod engine. I know a lot of newer vehicles are moving to 5w-20. But in most of those, with super-tight tolerances and higher-revving OHCs, that grade makes more sense. But in a low-revving pushrod V-6? We all know Chrysler isn't exactly creating engines with Honda build tolerances. So why so thin? Seems you would want higher shear numbers and film strength in an engine like ours. You'd like to think that the engineers would know best, but could it be that Chrysler was gunning for improved fuel economy numbers and decided 5w-20 was good enough, even if not the best choice? I can't explain why I'm suspicious, but I am.

Which brings me to my own engine. At 3k miles, the valvetrain is noisier than it was when new at cruise and when accelerating. It also has a start-up knock. But here's the weird part - not a cold start knock, a hot start knock. Especially when wheeling. Wheel, shut if off for just a minute or two, and I get a knock for a second that sounds suspiciously like a dry lifter. It's almost like the oil, which has a super-thin viscosity at that point, drains into the pan super-fast and leaves nothing in the parts that should be quenched.

Could be an ADB valve problem with the Mopar filter (which is a Wix, a great filter), and I can see why we have ADB problems with such a thin oil. Could be something else. Could just be that the oil is just plain too thin for our application, draining too quickly and getting past both the ADB valve and out of the parts where it needs to be.

Took it to the dealer for the hot start-up knock, they say unable to reproduce. Now I'm sitting on 6 quarts of 5w-20 for my first oil change, and I'm half tempted to say screw the manual and use 5w-30, it just makes more sense to me for our engines and application.

What do you guys think of all this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Alec W

Iíve used 5w30 and 5w20 Mobile 1 and didnít notice a difference. Funnily enough, I just got back from Wall-Mark 30 minutes ago with 6 quarts of 5w20 and will be using a K&N performance filter when I change the oil later today.

FWIW I think they all have the startup knock, I tend to notice it more when itís cold but I also tend to leave it running when Iím wheeling.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 10:45 AM

They tell you "unable to reproduce" because they ALL have the same issue, so they dont hear anything "abnormal" I have been an ASE L1 Master certified tech for 12 years, and I can tell you that my JK has had the same noise as yours since day one. Mine, being an 07 does not have the lifetime powertrain warranty, but I am running 5w-30 Royal Purple in it since day one and 6 miles. I would tell you not to really worry about it, its just one of the quirks our wonderful JK's have. I realize that you spent alot of $$ on your new baby and you want to do the best for it, but I would run 5w-20 if I had the lifetime powertrain warranty just to make sure they didnt have ANY reason to void that if the need should ever arise. BTW, Mine now has RIPP supercharger on it, and has 13# of boost for almost 15K miles. The ONLY engine problem I have had was 2 blown head gaskets (Happens on a motor not designed for boost and the driver beats the snot out of it) but the hot knock and start up clatter has neither worsened nor gotten better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 02:19 PM
14ers

Do yourself a favor and take a walk through the parking lot at the local shopping center (aka "the mall") and listen to all the Chysler/Dodge minivans and see if you hear something familiar...

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteOffroadPhx View Post
they ALL have the same issue, so they dont hear anything "abnormal"
I have an '09 and it does not have this "issue."
post #6 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Did a bit more research, talked to a few more folks also. Screw it, this old-tech pushrod beast is getting 5w-30. By all accounts it should provide better protection for this engine type.

Then again, I also use 75w-140 in both my front and rear axles for the extra film and shear strength while wheeling. What do I know?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Granite Guru

I use amsoil 0w30, i noticed a weird sound at start up but is good after.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa View Post
I use amsoil 0w30, i noticed a weird sound at start up but is good after.
May be the anti-drain-back valve. Check the oil filter thread.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Granite Guru

Syntec 5/20 since first oil change, Fram TG filter, and zero knock at start up. If your talking about the "kicking the horse off the barn steps" sound while starting the motor, its normal. Take most cars, remove the insulation from the interior & motor area, and you'll hear the same "noise" while starting. After a short second, it should purr like a sewing machine.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #10 of 11 Old 08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use Amsoil 0W20 and have no problems.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule'Con View Post
Syntec 5/20 since first oil change, Fram TG filter, and zero knock at start up. If your talking about the "kicking the horse off the barn steps" sound while starting the motor, its normal. Take most cars, remove the insulation from the interior & motor area, and you'll hear the same "noise" while starting. After a short second, it should purr like a sewing machine.
Yeah, strangely enough I don't have a cold start-up knock, only a brief hot start-up knock. I think that's what bothers me about it...shut the thing off and it seems like the oil instantly makes a mad dash to the pan and all gets there in about two seconds flat, seeming to leave everything dry. From the sounds of it, guess I better just get used to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode