Auto Trans issue - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Question Auto Trans issue

Hey folks, I got a question... I tried to search but found no results for my problem. I have an 09 JK with just over 53k miles on it. I am the 2nd Owner. Recently, it has began to makes a whining/zipper sound when the trans shifts in to 2nd gear.. If you come to a complete stop and manual shift the trans it does the same thing. The sound is coming from around the bellhousing/converter area. I'm pretty handy around the wrenches just not sure where to start in diagnosing on this one.. Any ideas from my fellow jeepers?

"You give Peace a chance.. I'll cover you in case it doesn't work out."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TNoperator; 10-12-2013 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Also, the fluid and filter has been changed regularly. And the fluid level is full.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Anyone??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 06:23 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Just using logic here - since it centers around a particular gear and not all of them, i'd assume the sound is coming from inside the transmission and could be a worn gear. It's possible the previous owner used that gear a lot while wheeling and put a lot of load on it causing it to wear more than others. If it was a worn bearing(s) or other component it would be more likely that you'd hear that noise at different RPM's and different load conditions in different gears. Kind of an odd one. I'd shove a GoPro or a Contour under there and drive it for a few hours to see if you can determine exactly where the noise is coming from and under what conditions it is happening under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Starting today it has started making the sound as it shifts into overdrive.. It's the same exact sound just not as loud. The previous owners didn't wheel.. They were 70 year old hippies.. I met them at the dealership. They were getting their first oil change on their new JK..

post #6 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Maybe they just drove around in second gear? LoL Not sure man, you have to do some more investigation, maybe add a couple of magnets to the oil pan and check for metal debris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 PM
CalmerThanYouAre

Shift into first then second with the auto trans and listen for the noise. See when it's the worst.

I support the military, fiscal responsibility, Hemp, legalization of Marijuana over 21, smaller government and the Bill of Rights.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-14-2013, 03:14 AM
Granite Guru

Mine had a whining noise right before the tranny went out. Didnt have it at all, took it into dealer for other warranty work, got it back with the noise, took it back in and they said my tranny was failing. Pulled an oil sample and found metal but mine was a 2012 which is a different tranny one that I got told "doesn't fail until over 200k" good luck and hopefully that isnt the issue.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-14-2013, 05:10 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

if its whining at all... similar to what you hear when a power steering pump is low on fluid or has air in the line... bad things are afoot.

first thing i'd do it drop the pan and check the fluid for contamination. then check to make sure the filter is properly installed. if so. you're looking at either a rebuild, or buying a used transmission.

when you hear a whining noise, that is usually from the pump. not a good sign.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #10 of 13 Old 10-14-2013, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

For years mine has made a whining noise when cold and ambient temps are below about 50 degrees F. Became noticeable when I swapped out the stock t-case cable for the Advance Adapters unit, which mounts metal on metal to the side of the trans. We determined it most likely to be the internal oil cooler bypass, as once it warmed up the noise was gone. Never gets worse, never changes.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #11 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight folks... My '09 was an early model and the lifetime warranty expired with the first owner trading it in.. I am taking it to a good transmission shop that I know on Friday... Maybe he can help me out..

post #12 of 13 Old 10-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

transmission shops... be warry.

to many people, the auto transmission is a box full of fairy dust and magic nectar. a lot of shops cash in on that lack of knowledge.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #13 of 13 Old 10-18-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

This tranny shop I have done business with before and he told me right up front that he doesn't mess with those 42RLEs he only replaces them.. Honesty goes a long way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode