co2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

co2

Anybody using a co2 tank to refill their tires. I found a source at www.powertank.com. Sounds like a good alternative to carrying around a compressor.

The best way to find a good place to get stuck is to try to avoid it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
JKO Addict!

powertank is probably the most common brand of co2 off-roaders use. Only real downfall to co2 is refilling the bottle. Which, from my understanding can be $25+ depending on the size (may be a wrong figure, those with it can tell for sure)

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Rock God

Garage
Speed

I like the speed of the power tank. But not the refelling part. If you need more air then it has left in the tank then your screwed. At least with the compressor you never run out of air, even if it is slow!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

How much does your powertank cost to fill?

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #5 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unisawyer View Post
Anybody using a co2 tank to refill their tires. I found a source at www.powertank.com. Sounds like a good alternative to carrying around a compressor.
A similar system for a lot less $$$

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/...p-1-c-754.html

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #6 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM
PIG
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
How much does your powertank cost to fill?
You should be paying around $10 for a 5lb bottle and $20 for a 10lb er...

USE CODE: JKO10 FOR 10% SAVINGS ON YOUR NEXT ORDER!!!

//
//

//
//

post #7 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Wheeler

My 10 pound bottle costs $15.00 to fill at a local fire extinguisher shop.
post #8 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

10.40 for a 10# co2 exchange
post #9 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
Not bad, i like the poly kit. Comes with a non-fancy bottle i wouldn't care about swapping out. versus the fancy powertank you'd want to get filled.

post #10 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Rock God

My 10# Powertank costs on average $20 to fill. If I am just using it for my Jeep, I get 4 trips out of it(35s from 12 to 35 psi) with some to spare before having to refill it.

Super fast inflation times compared to compressor system (I have had both). It's nice being the last one to the air up spot and being the 1st to finish airing up while everyone else is either waiting to borrow a compressor or still hunched over getting their tires filled.

Best prices around when you use your JKOWNERS discount in addition to FREE SHIPPING on all Powertank systems: http://www.rdmoffroad.com/co2tanksandaccessories.aspx

James

JKOWNERS Member Discount Available at:

Click the link to automatically apply the current offer!

Follow us on:

post #11 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 09:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Check out Ultimate Air. They are easily as good as Powertank, cheaper, and the owner is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. He will bend over backwards to make you happy about your purchase.

As far as tanks themselves, they are faster than compressors, and you can run tools of them and such. The problem is when on the trail, people who don't have air always want you to share. They apparently don't realize you have to pay for the fills, and it will run out. I personally have a bottle and a compressor. I won't always break out the bottle when I'm around a bunch of people I don't know. I will just use my compressor. I don't mind sharing, but filling it after every outing gets real old and expensive.

Last edited by oz97tj; 08-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
JKO Addict!

go to your local welding shop and get a bottle. if you want a nice one ask for a beverage grade tank ( they are the nice spun aluminum tanks.) that way you can take it in when its empty, and exchange it for another one, no waiting. I pay $15 when i exchange for another tank. cheaper than a power tank

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #13 of 24 Old 08-02-2009, 10:44 PM
Granite Guru

here is a 10lb tank and regulator for 160.00 http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/ind...&products_id=3

now i used an old 15lb nos tank i had an converted it to co2 and it will do about 48-50 tire refills and it only cost me 15.00 to fill my home made system cost about 120.00 to make but i i like it it is quicker then a compressor and it works great with air tools on and off the trails just my 2 cents

Just Want To Wheel
post #14 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Granite Guru

We use a powertank and purchased it for the speed it fills tires. Our local 4WD shop shop fills my 10# tank for $11.

Portability is also nice if you need to help a fellow Jeeper on the trail. Only drawback would be running out of CO2 on the trail, but as long as you pay attention you should be fine.

After 20+ years of having spark plug compressors and on board air we opted this year for the speed of the powertank--Love It!!

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #15 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Openly Hostile

I bought a 10lb beverage co2 tank for $90and a regulator for about $40. I pay $20 to get it refilled at a brewing supply store - get the tank refilled AND get some craft brew.

Jason
post #16 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUDDLZ View Post
yeah, but you know what is priceless....hearing you talk chit about me paying $20 for my tank refill and then realizing that you need to borrow air because that new tank you just exchanged was empty! (true story)

Jason
post #17 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 07:59 AM
Granite Guru

TRY this - http://www.offroadairstore.com/servlet/Detail?no=7
Here in Denver a 10# refill is $10

WHEN in DOUBT, GAS-IT !

EARTH FIRST! We'll JEEP the other planets later!
post #18 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Check out Ultimate Air. They are easily as good as Powertank, cheaper, and the owner is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. He will bend over backwards to make you happy about your purchase.
Oz

Where can we get them filled locally? How much for a 10 lb tank?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #19 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

so let me make sure i understand this...

People pay more money for the speed to air up the tires with a co2, but could face running out of air vs people buying a good air compressor that is portable and never running out of air?
post #20 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Granite Guru

Yup. strange world we live in, aint it?

KD8NHC
08 4 Door Rubicon
Member of Two Trackers 4wd Club
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
United Four Wheel Drive Associations
post #21 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Yup. strange world we live in, aint it?
Thanks, just making sure
post #22 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Granite Guru

CO2 is great... I have a 10lb tank and also an inexpensive but good compressor if I am out of air. Aside from the speed and convenience, and the ability to run air tools if you want... It can reseat a bead easily as most are 150 psi regulators. I also got my setup from a local welding supply shop. Its great, but I do have to say that there is a difference in regulators out there. Some ice up more than others, and filling the 4th tire may not be as fast as the 1st. Something to think about, but even the cheapest reg is better than most compressors.

I do have to say though, that the top end compressors arent THAT much slower. A guy I regularly wheel with has the Warn Powerplant, and the compressor built into that isnt too much slower than my CO2. Not to mention, I am always bumming air from him when I dont get my tank refilled!

Place that I have found around Phoenix charge from $17-25 to fill a 10 lb tank to 9.5 lbs, and I get about 5 trips filling 4 tires from 12psi to 26-27.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You guys are great, Looks like i`m going to save some money Thanks. I think i`ll start by sourcing the gas and go from there.

The best way to find a good place to get stuck is to try to avoid it.
post #24 of 24 Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Rock God

I had my powertank lose its safety while I was heading for a wheeling trip. Filled the Jeep with 15# of CO2. Had to pull over and jump out as the CO2 fog was blocking my vision, and the thought of suffocating was in my mind. By the way CO2 gas leaves the taste of baking soda in your mouth and nose. Anyway spent the next two days with my hat-in-hand bumming air from whomever I could get it from. So now I carry a small compressor as a back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode