Paint rubbing off?!?! WTF! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Angry Paint rubbing off?!?! WTF!

Got an 07 rubi door with 35,100 miles. Was cleaning under the hood and pulled back the rubber under the hood latch and saw this:

What the flying fawk? If the paint is rubbed off that bad now, won't be long before it goes through the e-coat and galvaneal plating on the sheet metal. Going to have the leaking soft top TSB done before I hit 36k and lose my warranty, wonder what I will be able to get the dealer to do, if anything. Both sides are like this too. Drivers side is the worst. All their crap about hood lift on the highway having no effect is a crock.

This is the typical under-engineered bullshiat I see going on everyday while I visit Chrysler....

(I love how my POS camera focused on the fender underneath, but not the object I was really shooting for. Time for a new one...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That sucks....
post #3 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 PM
JKO Addict!

I just had my fenders repainted due to rub through till it rusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, mine too. Just not painted yet.

https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10554

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
I just had my fenders repainted due to rub through till it rusted.
did u pay for it?

I think the paint warranty is only 12K/1year
post #6 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I might stick a little piece of electrical tape under there to protect the paint....
post #7 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
I might stick a little piece of electrical tape under there to protect the paint....
not a bad idea Mr RG, matches the jeep too

someone is getting the exterior of their jeep linex, I cant wait to see it, I jsut forget where I saw that
post #8 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Wheeler

Good God its a JEEP not a Mercedes.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidranger View Post
Got an 07 rubi door with 35,100 miles. Was cleaning under the hood and pulled back the rubber under the hood latch and saw this:

What the flying fawk? If the paint is rubbed off that bad now, won't be long before it goes through the e-coat and galvaneal plating on the sheet metal. Going to have the leaking soft top TSB done before I hit 36k and lose my warranty, wonder what I will be able to get the dealer to do, if anything. Both sides are like this too. Drivers side is the worst. All their crap about hood lift on the highway having no effect is a crock.

This is the typical under-engineered bullshiat I see going on everyday while I visit Chrysler....

(I love how my POS camera focused on the fender underneath, but not the object I was really shooting for. Time for a new one...)
That sucks...

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #10 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomorbills View Post
I am not sure I understand this post? Because its not a Mercedes we should accept an inferior product or workmanship on this product? If I scratch it or dent it off-roading or have an accident and sustain damage or paint loss - that's one thing. But if paint rusts under the door hinges or paint does not completely cover the interior of the door or where spare tire carrier is, or paint rubs off under the hood latch, ion a 2-3 year old vehicle, we're not supposed to be concerned or annoyed by that?

08 2dr X, Rock Krawler Arms and front truss, C Gussets, FT 3" Springs, JKS Trackbars & Discos, AEV Snorkel, Warn Front Bumper, Rancho Rear Bumper, 35" BFG KM2, Recon 10500 Winch, Synthetic Line, Coast Rear Shaft 1350, KC Slimlites, Cobra 75 CB
post #11 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Rock God

The paint my JK is less than stellar. The backside of the door hinges are not painted. When I took off my Spare Tire Carrier ... there was even an area under there where the paint was so thin you can see the primer ...

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #12 of 23 Old 08-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
The paint my JK is less than stellar. The backside of the door hinges are not painted. When I took off my Spare Tire Carrier ... there was even an area under there where the paint was so thin you can see the primer ...
mine was the same way under the tire carrier
post #13 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 07:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Because of the hood flutter, one of the first things I did to the Jeep was to remove the hood spring and add a $20 aftermarket hood lock. Checked mine yesterday, two years and 49k miles and still painted.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

I've had to touch up numerous spots where the paint cracked then chipped off. I've had numerous Jeeps in the past, never have I seen such bad paint.

08 JKUR 6.5" lift, 40" MTR's ...
post #15 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPA JK08 View Post
I am not sure I understand this post? Because its not a Mercedes we should accept an inferior product or workmanship on this product? If I scratch it or dent it off-roading or have an accident and sustain damage or paint loss - that's one thing. But if paint rusts under the door hinges or paint does not completely cover the interior of the door or where spare tire carrier is, or paint rubs off under the hood latch, ion a 2-3 year old vehicle, we're not supposed to be concerned or annoyed by that?
Wait till you find out were they didn't paint. Even a Mercedes rusts if you use it like a jeep.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #16 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

External panels are covered under anti-corrosion for 5yr/100k. All others are 3yr/unlimited.

Quote:

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Looks almost like you had some dirt under the rubber at one time.

|
|
post #18 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
they cost as much as a mercedes..i had my door hinges repainted cause to the paint blistering..high price jeeps..
post #19 of 23 Old 08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I want to keep my Jeep... I live by the coast... rust is a real mo-fo and I would rather stay in front of it as long as I can, spots like RR posted are a way for that chit to start.

And Mercedes are overrated..

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 08-03-2009 at 08:15 PM.
post #20 of 23 Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
did u pay for it?

I think the paint warranty is only 12K/1year
FAWK NO warrentteeeeeeee. I may be getting some new soft windows because the retards left some strips of whateverthehell super making tape on the windows and I think baked it so there are making tape shaped DENTS in the soft windows.

Its like dude just stuck them there while peeling the masking off and forgot them there

Quote:
Shut up If craptacular paint on a 30k vehicle means so little to you and you have so much cash to toss around that you don't care then I will send you my routing number and you can donate to the "Doc is a cheap fawking bastard because he only wants to get the worth of what he paid for"

I have Krylon for when "I" screw up my paint, They can pay for when THEY screw up my paint.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Looks almost like you had some dirt under the rubber at one time.
Or sand. Mine has been mud encrusted, but paint is still intact. May put some clear abrasion tape to protect....

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #22 of 23 Old 08-05-2009, 02:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I love the way people a quick to point out they paid for a $30K vehicle; when you really didn't. You paid $30k+ for a $16K vehicle with a $17k drivetrain upgrade. I'd bet a new Unimog has similar problems, it was designed as a Utility Vehicle just like the Jeep.

I have the same paint wear, and my JK hasn't seen any mud. It's an oversite, I'd bet if you take it in they'll put some touch up under it and put a piece of tape over that to keep it from happening again. Or, if you don't want to loose your jeep for a week to the dealerships paint shop. Ask them for the touch up paint and RTV the rubber piece to the fender, problem solved.

Quote:

post #23 of 23 Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM
JKO Addict!

My paint looks the same under the hood catches. Oh and i have 3850 miles...

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode