Superchips flashpaq - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 10-10-2013, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Superchips flashpaq

I have a 2011 jk. I'm looking at the Superchips flashpaq. Bottom line is it worth the money?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Rock God

They are indeed!

Flashpaq Tuner
By Superchips
Part Number: SCI3870
Fits 1998 to 2011 Wrangler, Rubicon and Unlimited with 3.8L 6 cylinder and 4.0L

Increase your vehicle's horsepower from the palm of your hand. These Superchips flashpaq tuners will optimize both engine and transmission calibration throughout the entire power band. They are effective from part throttle through wide-open throttle.The FlashPaq combines Superchips' performance programming experience with cutting edge tuning and acquisition technology. Superchip engineers have been decoding and researching the ins and outs, or should we say 1's and 0's. of late model vehicles to design an easy-to-use tuner that offers what you expect from a tuner. The Flashpaq delivers the same Superchips' dyno proven performance calibrations you expect, but also much more.There are more tuning variables than ever, so you can add custom touches to your vehicle's performance. Also, the Flash Paq offers the ability to monitor engine and transmission parameters! This information will help you tune the most performance and economy out of your vehicle! Another great feature of the new FlashPaq is its ability to be updated via the internet! You'll never have to send the unit in to be updated - simply connect a USB cable through your PD and go to Superchips.com for any updates or tuning tips available for your vehicle.Features include:Number one engine and model coverage in the industry; Greater increases in torque, horsepower and drivability; Works with most cold air intake and cat-back exhaust kits; Faster 1/4 mile & 0-60 times; Calibrate speedometer, odometer & shift points for tire and gear ratios; Monitor and record driving & vehicle performance with data logging; Adjustable shift points, firmness, speed and engine rev limiter; Real time vehicle sensor display; Check ignition timing and fluid temperatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Free Shipping on web site orders over $50
Use Promo code JEEP10 for 10% off web site orders

Open 9-6 M-F 10-1 Saturday 706-534-9955
post #3 of 29 Old 10-11-2013, 05:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i say if you have a auto, yes. and if yes id maybe go with a traildash. i like the options to see some gauges

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 10-11-2013, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i say if you have a auto, yes. and if yes id maybe go with a traildash. i like the options to see some gauges

I have 11 with a 6 speed. Unfortunately they do not make a trail for 2011

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

post #5 of 29 Old 10-18-2013, 03:47 PM

I have the flashpaq on my 09 and love it. It was by far the best performance upgrade for the dollar. I spoke to a Superchips rep at the off road expo in Pomona and he convinced me to upgrade to the traildash since it has a few extra unique features that the flashpaq does not have.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Rock God

i run a flashpaq as well as the little aev box. aev is pretty much only used to turn off the flashing sway bar light on my dash.

the flashpaq def made a difference on the 93 tune, it wasnt "night and day" but i could tell i had a little more oomph, and i really liked how the transmission shifted out after i ran the programmer. ive never used any of the other tunes other than the crawl tune (which i didnt personally care for at all). ive read a lot of people here say the other tunes are pretty much worthless.

running the programmer is fairly straight forward, the menues are laid out pretty good and its not that complicated / confusing.
post #7 of 29 Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, well worth the money....

Just make sure to purchase yours from one of the supporting
vendors here at JKO !

post #8 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Wheeler

I have a searched for flashpaq and can't quite find a thread where this post would fit, so rather than starting a new one, I figure it's best to add to one. Sorry if I'm hi-jacking the OP's thread. I sent this info through PM to a user listed as a SC emp, and also via email to SC tech support. Its been about a week and I haven't had a response yet. So, hopefully some intelligent Jeepers can help a fellow out:

I have a 3870 tuner for my 2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU Sport with:
3.8L V6 Motor, stock transmission
intake and exhaust opened up
37" Toyo MT tires (about 36" tall now)
5.13:1 differential gears
4:1 Rubicon Transfer case

1. I have measured my tires to be 36" yet I still am running a few mph slower than my speedo reads when I am setting the Flashpaq to 36" (when compared to a gps speedometer). My wife's 2012 VW is set by the manufacturer to run 3 mph slower than actual (probably for CYA and safety reasons). Are Jeeps the same from the manufacturer? Or is something else out of whack that I am not getting the correct speedo reading when the tires are programmed correctly on the Flashpaq?

2. My JKU has a bit of trouble holding overdrive above 70mph if there is any elevation or headwind. So, I want a little more power and am curious if I can tinker with the programmed differential gearing to get this. I called tech support and was told I cannot change the shift points through the tuner. Does the tire size calibrate the speedo and the gear setting calibrate the shift points independently? Or do the two work in conjunction with each other? If they work separate, then I should be able to dial in my speedo with setting the tire size (assuming I get my first question handled), then move my gear setting from 5.13 to possibly 5.5 to let the gear a little higher up the rpm range before shifting, without changing the speedo...

I know changing the tire size will effect the shift points and the speedo. But I don't know if changing the gearing (either through the Transfer Case High or through the diff gears) effect both the shift points AND the speedo, or just the shift points. I'm just curious about the options of the SC FP... Thoughts?

2011 JKU

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marhey View Post
1. I have measured my tires to be 36" yet I still am running a few mph slower than my speedo reads when I am setting the Flashpaq to 36" (when compared to a gps speedometer). My wife's 2012 VW is set by the manufacturer to run 3 mph slower than actual (probably for CYA and safety reasons). Are Jeeps the same from the manufacturer? Or is something else out of whack that I am not getting the correct speedo reading when the tires are programmed correctly on the Flashpaq?

2. My JKU has a bit of trouble holding overdrive above 70mph if there is any elevation or headwind. So, I want a little more power and am curious if I can tinker with the programmed differential gearing to get this. I called tech support and was told I cannot change the shift points through the tuner. Does the tire size calibrate the speedo and the gear setting calibrate the shift points independently? Or do the two work in conjunction with each other? If they work separate, then I should be able to dial in my speedo with setting the tire size (assuming I get my first question handled), then move my gear setting from 5.13 to possibly 5.5 to let the gear a little higher up the rpm range before shifting, without changing the speedo...[/I]

I know changing the tire size will effect the shift points and the speedo. But I don't know if changing the gearing (either through the Transfer Case High or through the diff gears) effect both the shift points AND the speedo, or just the shift points. I'm just curious about the options of the SC FP... Thoughts?
I think you can change the tire size by as little as 1/4" increments, so when you stated "about 36" you might double check to see if that isn't exactly 36.25" or 35.75". Just that little bit could be affecting something there.

As for keeping the OD above 70...you're driving a giant brick-shaped vehicle, with some of the heaviest tires in that size over 70 miles per hour. The 5.13 gears help with acceleration, but not with the top speed. It could just be simple aerodynamics and weight holding you back here.

Although (someone correct me if I'm mistaken), but I think you should be able to adjust your own shift points in some of the more advanced settings in the Flashpaq. "Advanced transmission tuning product available on newer Jeeps allowing for custom shift schedules, firmness and shift points"
post #10 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I think you can change the tire size by as little as 1/4" increments, so when you stated "about 36" you might double check to see if that isn't exactly 36.25" or 35.75". Just that little bit could be affecting something there.

As for keeping the OD above 70...you're driving a giant brick-shaped vehicle, with some of the heaviest tires in that size over 70 miles per hour. The 5.13 gears help with acceleration, but not with the top speed. It could just be simple aerodynamics and weight holding you back here.

Although (someone correct me if I'm mistaken), but I think you should be able to adjust your own shift points in some of the more advanced settings in the Flashpaq. "Advanced transmission tuning product available on newer Jeeps allowing for custom shift schedules, firmness and shift points"
Thanks for the reply. I have measured the tires multiple times, even using two levels and the exact height of my year old Toyo 37"s is 36". I can get the speedo accurate, but it means typing in an inaccurate tire height, which will make my odometer incorrect (I think)... I just want to be able to type in the correct tire size and get the correct speed... That is why I was wondering if Jeeps are programmed to always show 3mph faster than their actual speed, like my VW does. BUT, the mph difference increases the faster I drive, so that makes me assume something just isn't programmed correctly. Also, changing the tire size makes LESS of difference in the change in speedo since I re-geared, which makes sense.

Good point on the weight of the Toyos. Those 93lb anchors certainly make a difference. I have 17" beadlocks on order and am mounting MTRs on them which will save a total of 10lbs per wheel. I hope a 40lb reduction of rotating weight will help me regain some power.

There are some options in the advanced tune section, but I coudn't find what I wanted. Also, I had a bit of a struggle getting the FP to work correctly just after I purchased it. SC had to make a recovery file and it took a few tries before I could reprogram. So, I've been a bit worried to try different options incase I screwed something up. I'll dig around in the programming later tonight to see if I can find what I'm looking for.

2011 JKU

post #11 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have a flashpac, and think it was good for correcting the speedo, and throttle response. I run the 87 tune but would like a bit more power. If I go to the 93 tune will I have to run 93 octane all the time?
post #12 of 29 Old 01-16-2014, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

If you have a 6 speed don't waste your money. I bought a flashpaq in Nov and it didn't do much for my Jeep besides make my gas mileage worse. I gain a little bit of power when passing but that's about it. Thinking about resetting it and going back to a ProCal. Very disappointed

post #13 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.cross View Post
I have a flashpac, and think it was good for correcting the speedo, and throttle response. I run the 87 tune but would like a bit more power. If I go to the 93 tune will I have to run 93 octane all the time?
You don't have to run 93 octane with a 93 octane tune. For a while, I ran 91 octane setting with 87 octane fuel because I thought it ran better. Now I run 87 octane setting and use 91 octane fuel most of the time. Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference between the octane settings. But that's just me and my rig, my weakest link is a mini-van motor and 484 lbs of rotating weight.

2011 JKU

post #14 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I can get the speedo accurate, but it means typing in an inaccurate tire height, which will make my odometer incorrect (I think)... I just want to be able to type in the correct tire size and get the correct speed... .
I can tell you my tires are exactly 34.5 high. Flashpac was reset to this height and my ground speed was about 3 MPH slower than shown on the speedo. I recently regeared to 4.56 and set this in with Flashpac. Still about 3 MPH slow. I reset the tire height to 33.5 and as best I can tell with a GPS this is about right to 1 MPH slower actual speed than registered on the speedo. Guy in another thread also complained his FP was inaccurate in the same way mine and yours are.

I assumed my odometer was correct if the actual and indicated speed were the same. But I do not know this. I'd like confirmation. Maybe Interstate mile markers could be used to verify

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #15 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
ive never used any of the other tunes other than the crawl tune (which i didnt personally care for at all). ive read a lot of people here say the other tunes are pretty much worthless.
Not meaning to hijack but OP this might help with your decision.

Can you tell me what the crawl tune does? Is it operable in 2H 4H and 4L? Do you have to return to "stock" at the end of the trail to run home on the highway, or does the crawl tune only become active in low range?

I ask because for various reasons, I am not comfortable with setting any of the FP performance tunes in My Jeep. P.S. , the TPMS reset never worked right and still doesn't.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

Last edited by ratchettt; 01-21-2014 at 10:34 AM.
post #16 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchettt View Post
I can tell you my tires are exactly 34.5 high. Flashpac was reset to this height and my ground speed was about 3 MPH slower than shown on the speedo. I recently regeared to 4.56 and set this in with Flashpac. Still about 3 MPH slow. I reset the tire height to 33.5 and as best I can tell with a GPS this is about right to 1 MPH slower actual speed than registered on the speedo. Guy in another thread also complained his FP was inaccurate in the same way mine and yours are.

I assumed my odometer was correct if the actual and indicated speed were the same. But I do not know this. I'd like confirmation. Maybe Interstate mile markers could be used to verify
I'm glad others are experiencing what I am so that we can figure it out. I will do further digging and post my results. Thank you.

2011 JKU

post #17 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

. Does the tire size calibrate the speedo and the gear setting calibrate the shift points independently? Or do the two work in conjunction with each other? .[/I]

Cannot say if tire size and gear changes operate separately or independently. I noticed very little difference in shift points when I went to 35 tires( actually measured 34.5 ) and set the FP to 34.5. A month or so later I regeared to 4.56 and reset the FP to that in the gear setting. When I picked up the Jeep and drove it I felt a pretty dramatic change in that the Jeep held the gears for a higher RPM before up shifting.

post #18 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I'm glad others are experiencing what I am so that we can figure it out. I will do further digging and post my results. Thank you.
I have gotten no where with SuperChips techs on correcting.

post #19 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Cannot say if tire size and gear changes operate separately or independently. I noticed very little difference in shift points when I went to 35 tires( actually measured 34.5 ) and set the FP to 34.5. A month or so later I regeared to 4.56 and reset the FP to that in the gear setting. When I picked up the Jeep and drove it I felt a pretty dramatic change in that the Jeep held the gears for a higher RPM before up shifting.
Quote:
I have gotten no where with SuperChips techs on correcting.
I have not been overly impressed with SC support either. I did notice a big change in shift points when I corrected my tire size from stock to 37"s before re-gearing. However, you have the better motor so that's probably the difference.

2011 JKU

post #20 of 29 Old 01-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

ok in 19 posts all i see is hand held tuners. what about a good old fashioned custom dyno tune at a good shop?

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
post #21 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 07:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAdventure View Post
ok in 19 posts all i see is hand held tuners. what about a good old fashioned custom dyno tune at a good shop?
Well, since the title of the thread is "Superchips flashpaq", which is a handheld tuner, I think the posts in this thread are on par.

2011 JKU

post #22 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Well, since the title of the thread is "Superchips flashpaq", which is a handheld tuner, I think the posts in this thread are on par.
I guess thats a good reason, carry on.

Nick, I use the word AWESOME a lot.
2007 'Rescue Green' JKU
post #23 of 29 Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 PM
Wheeler

couple questions about this- when using the sc's trail features like lockers in 4hi do you need activate them through the handheld or does it reflash the computer and let you use factory buttons and not keep it plugged in?

Also its been around less then a year for 2011s, has anyone had any issues other then the speedo one th OP posted?
post #24 of 29 Old 02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

Are you measuring the height of the tire or the rolling circumference? What it needs is rolling circumference but that is harder to measure.

The tire deforms as it rolls and the circumference is always smaller than the static height.

I calibrated mine using my iPhone GPS. If the speed is correct, the odometer is correct. They both use the same mathematical correction factors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #25 of 29 Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubicon View Post
Are you measuring the height of the tire or the rolling circumference? What it needs is rolling circumference but that is harder to measure.

The tire deforms as it rolls and the circumference is always smaller than the static height.

I calibrated mine using my iPhone GPS. If the speed is correct, the odometer is correct. They both use the same mathematical correction factors.
I measured the static height of the tire. I'm probably overthinking this, but here is my thought: Let's say the vehicle is programmed off the production line to indicate 3mph faster than the actual speed. That would mean the vehicle is tuned from the manufacturer to operate correctly at an "indicated" speed of 3mph faster than actual. If I program it at the "actual" speed (using my phone gps app) then I am putting the vehicle out of its ideal tuning since its expecting to indicate 3mph faster than actual... 3mph probably isn't going to make a difference on the tune and I'm probably making a bigger deal about this than needs be.

2011 JKU

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode