Looking for ball joint and Compressor opinions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Looking for ball joint and Compressor opinions

Next weekend I'm installing sleeves and gussets. My jeep has 20,000 miles and the stock ball joints are fine. Should I replace them or wait till they need replaced?

I'm sick of being the guy who always begs for air after a hard day of wheeling. I'm debating between Arb mounted under the hood or the smittybilt 5.6 portable. I know the Arb is better Quality but it's twice the price. With smittybilt I can get a lifetime warranty for $25 extra. I don't have lockers and don't plan on it right now. I also only need air a few time a year cause most places we go have a place to air up. So is arb worth the extra money? Will the Smittybilt air up 35s in a Reasonable amount of time?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Smittybilt has a 10lb co2 tank for 299$ that would be perfect. That or i would check out harbor freight for a portable or VIAIR for a portable.

The ball joints are going to fail eventually, if you have them i would just knock em out real quick. I bought the alloy usa ones and they have been great. Have about 3500 mi on them so far and no issues

The harbor freight compressors run around 50$ ish, and we have used them in AZ in 100 weather, worked great for 12 straight tired before it got to hot lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793

Last edited by Rubiconquered; 10-10-2013 at 06:00 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 06:16 PM
Granite Guru

If you're going to be working on the C's you may as well do the ball joints. Just install them after you burn the gussets.

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Wheeler

Since you will have your axle shafts pulled to sleeve the axle, now would be a good time to replace them. That is half the work. Several posts have said their stock ones wore out at 25k to 35k miles on stock tires. Mine lasted 10k with 37" tires.
I installed Dynatrac Prosteer balls. They lasted about 12k miles before the lowers wore out. Took the Jeep to the Dynatrack factory so they could verify the slop in them. They replaced them no charge, but now 12k later they are worn out again. Cost $100 each for rebuild kits, so for that price I can get new Synergy's or Alloy's. Even if they were to replace them again for free the labor is a pain, so I just ordered the Synergy's which I consider to be a much better design. Hopefully they will last longer.

Mike

We've got em surrounded now boys!: Custer, 1876
post #5 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 PM

Before I got a Powertank I had the superflow MV90 portable compressor. Thing worked great and never let me down. Low range offroad carry's them for a good price.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2013, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

If I do ball joints I'll go with Synergy for sure...

Now I know nothing about but the smittybilt compressed air system. What kind of places fill them and how much would it cost to fill them? How many tires will it fill up?

2011 Wrangler Sport,RK 2.5 X Factor with RRD 2.0 shocks, Synergy steering, Poison Spyder bumpers narrow alum fenders diff covers, LOD sliders, Rockridge 4wd tail lights, trucklites, TF higned tire carrier, Cooper discover STT 37x13.50, 4.56 gears

Ordered a 2015 2 door Rubicon 3-23-15
post #7 of 7 Old 10-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Wheeler

I have a 10LB Power tank, cost 26ish to fill at any welding supply shop. Some companies require you to get an inspection at another 20ish. I get about 10-18 air-ups from 12psi to 32psi with 315/75/16.

Pro's = fast fill up's and very little maint.
Con's = heavy/bulky and fill up costs.

2013 JKU Sport, RE 2" w/Bilsteins 5100, 315/75/16 Toyo Open country on stock wheels 1.5" spacers, AFE intake and 3in Cat-Back SS-409 Exhaust Systems, superchips flashpaq, AEV front CA drop brakets, EVO rear rock star skid/shock lift, trek armor seat covers/seat heaters, spiderwebshade, truck lite LED's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode