Center Console. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to FHMan1905
Center Console.

How easily does the center console remove. I am thinking about having 12voltguy.com build me a switch panel and I want to put it on the side of the console next to the transfer case shifter rather than below the AC controls since i have a six speed. Does this seem like a good idea or no.
Do just the sides of the console snap loose or do you have to remove the whole console?

Thanks
Lance

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

whole thing is gonna have to come out if you want access to that part

you may be able to get away with just pulling everything loose to work on it, getting the console around the e-brake is the worst part, you either need to remove the brake which is a real pain or it can be wiggled, stretched and flexed around it but its a hassle either way.

Here's what you're getting into
http://www.tuffyproducts.com/images/...st/157INST.pdf

it was a PITA when I put in my tuffy console

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

yeah nothing is ever easy...wish i could afford the sPOD but that is out of my budget right now, and I don't plan on putting on a lot of accessories right now...i was wanting to put my switch panel there to keep passengers from f*****g with things.

2007 Sahara Unlimited
4" Lift, 35" KM2's, Soft 8's, 4" HIDx windshield mounted, Finishlinewest rocksliders and 4.0 bumper, Bestop Trektop!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

its not THAT bad but its a time consumer
lots easier if you remove the passenger seat
I don't think I'd want my switches where you're talking about because I'd hit them with my leg all of the time

if you're just gonna put in a couple of switches, the spot left of the steering wheel and below the AC vent is a good spot - out of the way, doesn't look bad and is only accessible to the driver

Quote:
post #5 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

yeah i looked at that too and possibly directly under the steering wheel....i am extremely picky when it comes to wiring and switches...like things to look half way organized and clean looking...

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #6 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used a little LED rocker under the AC vent for my emergency strobes, my daystar was beyond full and I actually stacked 2 small switches in one of the bays on it for the off road lights and the backup camera override.
I'll probably get another carling for that slot and do the OR lights there in the panel and put another LED rocker under the AC vent for the cam over ride

Quote:
post #7 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here's an idea, someone on here made a "pseudo SPOD" by taking a daystar lower panel, cutting it down and mounting it over the rearview like a SPOD.
Don't remember who it was,but it looked good. They bought the daystar lower then couldnt use it as designed because they have a 6sp

Quote:
post #8 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

the over head part of sPOD is nice but the best thing to me is the simplicity of wiring in accessorries...but 450 is steep to me for basically switches...

12voltguy.com quoted me 60 bucks for a three switch panel with LED's....how does that dash panel come off to the left...where you were talking below the vent...i took some cardboard and made a "mock" switch panel for below the steering wheel to the left slightly...but like the idea of below that vent

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #9 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

ITS COMES OUT SUPER EASY, the only hard thing about it is getting the transfer case knob off, the console comes out in two pieces NOT 50 like the tuffy directions show should be able to get it out in 5 minutes

put transfer case in 4hi or N put a open end wrench under it and hit up with a hammer as close to knob as possible, it will fly off so dont be leaning over it haha....the console has 4 torx screws that hold it in thats it, two on each side.

pics are here
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11960

post #10 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wired mine without pulling the panel, I just pulled the AC vent and worked through the hole.
Drilled for my switches, ran my wires from under the dash up and out the AC vent hole where I could see and work with them, then fished them down and out the switch holes to wire the switches.
I knew I couldnt reach to get the nut on the back of the switch so I used a step drill and drilled my hole to where the switch itself threaded into the dash plastic.
It took some time and effort, but came out clean, sturdy and reliable.

If you have small hands (I have freakin meat mallets) you might be able to get in there to reach it from the back, but between my big hands and having a RockHard cage installed, it wasnt happening for me. The end panels on the sides of the dash pop off so you might be able to get better access there, but the RH cage replaces those with 1/4" steel.

Quote:
post #11 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
ITS COMES OUT SUPER EASY, the only hard thing about it is getting the transfer case knob off, the console comes out in two pieces NOT 50 like the tuffy directions show should be able to get it out in 5 minutes

put transfer case in 4hi or N put a open end wrench under it and hit up with a hammer as close to knob as possible, it will fly off so dont be leaning over it haha....the console has 4 torx screws that hold it in thats it, two on each side.

pics are here
https://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11960

I guess thats where I screwed up, I followed the directions for once!

Quote:
post #12 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for you help guys...especially you venom....you have any pics of those switches...i am still trying to decide....can't order my lights because James at RDM is having issues with his new website....but anyway no rush it will let me make up my mind about how to go about the switch issue since the HIDx don't come with switches...

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #13 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I guess thats where I screwed up, I followed the directions for once!
directions suck

when I was prepping for Linex I had read all about what a ***** it was getting the shift knob off and getting the console out. I was all ready to follow tuffy's directions, had printed them out and all then I got a brain fart to look at my factory service manual and there it was, simple easy fast directions for a change, who would have thought
post #14 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

came up with the spot....under the AC vent..popped the end of the dash off and with the door off you would have tons of room to work...still going to have 12voltguy make me a panel though....thanks guys

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #15 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Jeeps filthy inside and out, been doing a lot of wheeling lately but here's a pic
Attached Images

Quote:
post #16 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

thanks man that is where i am going to go with and i emailed 12voltguy with the dimentions i need...so i am hoping he can make me a panel....if not i will go with those same style switches you have...or maybe the flush mount design

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #17 of 22 Old 08-01-2009, 04:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no prob!

Quote:
post #18 of 22 Old 08-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Wheeler

Mine was easy. I was switching to the Tuffy console so removing the factory console involved a big hammer and a garbage bag.

I looked at the directions on how to remove it properly... then decided on the brute force method.
post #19 of 22 Old 08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieguy View Post
Mine was easy. I was switching to the Tuffy console so removing the factory console involved a big hammer and a garbage bag.

I looked at the directions on how to remove it properly... then decided on the brute force method.
and you could have got it out in two pieces in 5minutes and sold it to some poor Jeeper that only got the standard x console with no storage.

I'd love to know why tuffy's directions have you take it apart like they do
post #20 of 22 Old 08-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Wheeler

Well, I do have a front bumper with no fog lights, a rear bumper, and sahara steps that are taking up space. I probably should put those up for sale before my GF throws them out.

To me it's the hassle of shipping though. If someone decided to come to anywhere within 2 hours of Little Rock, they could have it all for free. Gotta look and see what else I've got.
post #21 of 22 Old 08-05-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

might want to move this to the freebie thread rather than in a thread about removing a console to install switches...will probably find someone to take them off your hands quick

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieguy View Post
Well, I do have a front bumper with no fog lights, a rear bumper, and sahara steps that are taking up space. I probably should put those up for sale before my GF throws them out.

To me it's the hassle of shipping though. If someone decided to come to anywhere within 2 hours of Little Rock, they could have it all for free. Gotta look and see what else I've got.

2007 Sahara Unlimited

post #22 of 22 Old 08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHMan1905 View Post
might want to move this to the freebie thread rather than in a thread about removing a console to install switches...will probably find someone to take them off your hands quick

Fair enough. I was more pointing out that all my factory stuff or anything I don't want anymore ends up in a dumpster, rather than being sold, because I don't like dealing with shipping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode