Itchin To Work On JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to NxtGenCowboy
Itchin To Work On JK

Sooo now that I have about 3500 miles on my JK, Ive done some little things to it... but Ive always had a thing where the car is not really mine until I change the oil and spark plugs!!

I dunno why, but I cant wait to do it....soooooooo

I went and bought 6qts of Royal Purple Oil, and 6 E3 spark plugs.

After some research it seems the E3's get rid of the rough idle. I'll find out now!!

And I went with a Fram Extended Guard Filter, I know it has the Silcone Anti-Drainback Valve so dry starts shouldnt happen. It has all kinds of extra filters in it as well...prolly pointless but I treat my Jeep right!!

I'll start on it about noon, and i'll update yall with the results after!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The box said "Requires Windows 95, NT, or better", so I installed Linux
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet!

I'm interested in the news about the plugs.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Rock God

Garage
Tune Up

A Tune Up at 3500 Miles? I'm expecting to get a few more miles than that before changing the plugs.... Maybe about 100 K more.....

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

i want to get rid of the rough idle. to each his own i guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 09:56 AM
Rock God

Its probably good to change them early, i've heard of guys having problems getting them out at higher mileages and sometimes messing the threads up in the heads. You could probably put anything else in there and it would run better than the factory champions. I've had good luck with NGK Iridiums in other stuff, I think I'm gonna either try those or the Autolite Iridiums when the time comes. Thought about trying the E3's as well, but I havn't heard much feedback on them and dont know much about them.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #6 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 10:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGenCowboy View Post
Sooo now that I have about 3500 miles on my JK, Ive done some little things to it... but Ive always had a thing where the car is not really mine until I change the oil and spark plugs!!

I dunno why, but I cant wait to do it....soooooooo

I went and bought 6qts of Royal Purple Oil, and 6 E3 spark plugs.

After some research it seems the E3's get rid of the rough idle. I'll find out now!!

And I went with a Fram Extended Guard Filter, I know it has the Silcone Anti-Drainback Valve so dry starts shouldnt happen. It has all kinds of extra filters in it as well...prolly pointless but I treat my Jeep right!!

I'll start on it about noon, and i'll update yall with the results after!!!
Let me know what how it works with the E3 plugs... have that rough idle and want to get rid of it.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

I installed the E3s two weeks ago. I did notice a smoother idle, a Little more low end pep and my MPGs did go up .5MPG. I was not expecting much from them but I must say that I am truly impressed
post #8 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 12:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice! I changed every fluid at 1000miles lol. I haven't done plugs yet, I'm extremely hesitant to buy the E3s. I'm hard to prove that it isn't the media that makes such "claims". However many people seem to say they are worth it. Around 15k-20k miles i think i may try them

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 12:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGenCowboy View Post
i want to get rid of the rough idle. to each his own i guess
rough idle? Why don't you take this into the dealership to fix under warranty? I'll be surprised if the spark plugs change anything after 3500 miles.

if you can, take pics of the old plugs, i'm curious on what they will look like
post #10 of 16 Old 08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyguy View Post
I installed the E3s two weeks ago. I did notice a smoother idle, a Little more low end pep and my MPGs did go up .5MPG. I was not expecting much from them but I must say that I am truly impressed
What was the model of E3 plugs that you used? I have gone to their web site and they don't seem to list a direct replacement for the factory plugs... I'm at 87000 kms and will be changing them at 90000. So if you have the model numbers that would be great

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
What was the model of E3 plugs that you used? I have gone to their web site and they don't seem to list a direct replacement for the factory plugs... I'm at 87000 kms and will be changing them at 90000. So if you have the model numbers that would be great
I found them on the site..? E3.66 is the model number.

I didnt get to do it yesterday...damn life got it the way...lol

post #12 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

For what it's worth,Horsepower,on powerblock ran some comparison tests against the other high tech plugs and the E3 Diamonds out did them all.In fact the rerun of that show was on yesterday and again this morning.I will buy a set and put them in,and do it soon.I have always been a firm believer in good plugs,and the E3's seem to be the best out there,JMHO.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #13 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
For what it's worth,Horsepower,on powerblock ran some comparison tests against the other high tech plugs and the E3 Diamonds out did them all.In fact the rerun of that show was on yesterday and again this morning.I will buy a set and put them in,and do it soon.I have always been a firm believer in good plugs,and the E3's seem to be the best out there,JMHO.
It's shows like horsepower that make me NOT believe it is true. They get paid to run whatever products will give them money. OF COURSE they aren't going to "lose power" when they pay however much they pay to show off their products....right?

I'd buy them from the fact that people that are using them seem to be impressed, rather than the product pushers on horsepower..

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #14 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Mine has the rough idle too, but it only seems to be the first 30secs. or so when the O2 sensors are still in open loop. Once they go into closed loop, it seems to clear up. Maybe thats what a lot of guys are experiencing.

Anyways, I was wondering, whats the life expectancy of the e3 plugs?

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #15 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
Mine has the rough idle too, but it only seems to be the first 30secs. or so when the O2 sensors are still in open loop. Once they go into closed loop, it seems to clear up. Maybe that's what a lot of guys are experiencing.

Anyways, I was wondering, whats the life expectancy of the e3 plugs?
No idea...

This is why I posted.. for others thoughts and bashing's :P

anyway, I want everyone to see and experience the same when trying a new product out. I don't mind testing and taking the bullet.

post #16 of 16 Old 08-02-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

DONE!

Changed the OIL and the Spark Plugs..

Oil is super easy, I had no idea royal purple is actually purple...

The right side spark plugs are super easy, the left side is well...

The one thing Ive noticed is I have an engine tick.

Idle is nice though, drive around a bit...

When I turn the key to Acc. I hear a weird noise, which sounds like battery tick when its a dead battery.. does it 2x and than thats it... I turn key to start and starts up no issues... Not really sure what the sound is to be honest..

Only drove it around the block, will drive later around town and see what changes...

Here are spark plug pictures :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode