Anyone run 35 10.50 swampers on a unlimited? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Anyone run 35 10.50 swampers on a unlimited?

someone is selling a set of 35 10.50 swampers, wondering what they look like on a unlimited.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
someone is selling a set of 35 10.50 swampers, wondering what they look like on a unlimited.
Going for a tire for "looks" is a bad idea. Ask these questions instead:

Do you need swampers?

Is the 'eep a DD?

Are you willing to sacrifice comfort, noise, and mileage?

If the answer is yes to 1 and or 3, go for them. If you answer yes to 2, don't. Also, my 35" Falken Rocky Mountain ATS's will go literally ANYWHERE I point my JK (from the cascades to the Arabian Desert), and they are quiet, come with a 50K mile warranty, and they stick to wet pavement nicely, which is great news! Their Wild Peak's are the same tire, BTW, just a new name.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i meant it more as what do 35" 10.50's look like as far as tall and narrow. nobody "needs" swampers , but they do look cool. im intrested in them as with a little siping they well be awesome in the snow(my current KM2's suck in snow) and they are cheap, i can grab 6 almost new ones for $600. my jeep is already noisy, uncomfortable, and gets 13mpg

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

My brother used to run the Bias Swampers. They ran good off road only problem is they would flat spot during the cold and only last 6 months before the tread would be worn down.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM
JKO Addict!

From what I've read, tall and narrow tires do good in the snow. And for the price I don't think you can go wrong.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #6 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM

New to the Forum!

I have these swampers for trail tires (Q-78-16) I will give you a small write up:
They are 35x10.5 mounted on 7" rims with 4" of backspace and a Teraflex 2" leveling kit (I want low COG). The spare fits on stock mount, but you need to extend the rubber bumpers on the tailgate. I did this with 2" vinyl hose cut 1.5" long. (no sag in taigate as of yet)
I mounted them myself and put in 10 oz of airsoft pellets for balance.
I siped them myself, 3-4 sipes on the inner lugs perpendicular to travel.
They rubbed a small amount in front and back of the inside of the fenders. I cut some out and put in 1" bumpstops in the on the rear axle. fixed

Yes, you sound like a prop plane on the road, but for me that is only on the way to the fun. They drop my MPG by 2 when I have them on, but handle quite well for the size and Bias construction. The siping has worked well for the rain I have yet to have them in snow.
After testing I can get them to 3lbs with out a bead break (so far). In fact it almost hard to get them that low with the wieght of the jeep (haha).
On road I run them at about 19 psi. Off I go down to about 10 for comfort. I have not needed to go down any further as traction is uncomparable to anything else.
Pics...
Attached Images

2012 JKU Rubicon - 35x10.5 swampers (trail tires), Warn 9.5 cti-s, Pavement Ends Front and Rear bumpers, Teraflex Leveling Kit, and some others...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ooh that looks good. i still didnt buy them yet. the ones im looking at are the radial ones so maybe theyll behave better on road. id be running them on stock rims with spacers

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #8 of 17 Old 10-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Wheeler

Those do look nice. I'd take a chance, you could always resell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #9 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrims View Post
Going for a tire for "looks" is a bad idea. Ask these questions instead:

Do you need swampers?

Is the 'eep a DD?

Are you willing to sacrifice comfort, noise, and mileage?

If the answer is yes to 1 and or 3, go for them. If you answer yes to 2, don't. Also, my 35" Falken Rocky Mountain ATS's will go literally ANYWHERE I point my JK (from the cascades to the Arabian Desert), and they are quiet, come with a 50K mile warranty, and they stick to wet pavement nicely, which is great news! Their Wild Peak's are the same tire, BTW, just a new name.
Really? Must be something everyone else is not informed about! You must not have EVER been east coast/southern wheeling or EVER been on a muddy trail? I can guarantee you you'd be stuck within just a few mins after a good rain down here! Not sayin Falken is a crappy tire by no means, just you're full of shit is all!

OP,
unless the TSL's are CHEAP I'd pass bc they WILL wear very fast as others have stated. They are a very good OFFROAD tire though! Usually you can't go wrong with the most popular mud terrain. BFG, Goodyear, Nitto, Maxxis, etc will drive and wear much better on the road and still perform well offroad. IMO of coarse.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddis View Post
Really? Must be something everyone else is not informed about! You must not have EVER been east coast/southern wheeling or EVER been on a muddy trail? I can guarantee you you'd be stuck within just a few mins after a good rain down here! Not sayin Falken is a crappy tire by no means, just you're full of shit is all!

OP,
unless the TSL's are CHEAP I'd pass bc they WILL wear very fast as others have stated. They are a very good OFFROAD tire though! Usually you can't go wrong with the most popular mud terrain. BFG, Goodyear, Nitto, Maxxis, etc will drive and wear much better on the road and still perform well offroad. IMO of coarse.
Umm, yeah, born and raised in Lake City, FL. Moved out at 20 to join the Navy. I have lived most of my life in the swamps of the south. Btw, don't ever judge a swamp to the PAC NOR West. It rains 300+ days a year. That is a swamp. Not to mention the snow. As a matter of fact, I bought my jeep in 2009 at Lee Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Crestview, Fl. I was raised on thornbirds and super swampers. A good ATS will go anywhere a super tread will, and then some. Air them down and go slow. Most people go too fast anyways, and a tall aggressive tread will get someone stuck faster than a nice wide tire, less sinking to the frame moments.

Back to the south bit, most forests I hunt at in north Florida, you don't even need four wheel drive, they shut most of the two rut roads down and keep everything else graded. Ohh and one more thing boss, don't judge a book by its cover, when I get back in a year from the Middle East, I would be more than happy to show you my jeep with its as you make it seem "substandard" tires in whatever swamp you wish to run in, and when I'm pulling you out with my winch, you might think twice about running those high dollar tires that are garbage for dd.

OP, go with what ever you want, we love in a free country! Just trying to make a suggestion on what I know, and what I have run.

Last edited by agrims; 10-11-2013 at 01:43 PM.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-11-2013, 02:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The only issues i've seen with the Falkens, and i don't know if this is an isolated case, is with a set from Discount Tires where the sipping seemed to be so shallow that after 1.5 years the tire wore the major tread blocks down past the sipping so you only had the deeper grooves left.

It looked weird, like a NASCAR slick with big deep rain groves in it.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 17 Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post
The only issues i've seen with the Falkens, and i don't know if this is an isolated case, is with a set from Discount Tires where the sipping seemed to be so shallow that after 1.5 years the tire wore the major tread blocks down past the sipping so you only had the deeper grooves left.

They will last roughly 40-50k miles per set. They have a 50k mile warranty, so they wear down, take them back and get a new set! Mine have about 35k now and still have siping. Oh and the nitto ATS tires are pretty nice too.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Here's mine with 35/10.5-17 Swampers
Attached Images

I'm not as think as you dumb I am !
post #14 of 17 Old 10-13-2013, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i ended up getting another set of km2's (used) in my head swampers would be great but in reality i hardly never wheel (esp in winter) and it would be a waste to have to buy new tires in summer

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #15 of 17 Old 10-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
i meant it more as what do 35" 10.50's look like as far as tall and narrow. nobody "needs" swampers , but they do look cool. im intrested in them as with a little siping they well be awesome in the snow(my current KM2's suck in snow) and they are cheap, i can grab 6 almost new ones for $600. my jeep is already noisy, uncomfortable, and gets 13mpg
Can u point me in the direction of that deal on 6 SS for 600?

DD
11 JK Unlimited
4.88s, Detroit Locker/Tru Trac
37x12.50-17 Toyo Open Country RT
OME HD, RK ControlArms

Hard core wheeler
85 CJ-7
Built AMC 360,T-18/Dana 300,
4.88's, rear spool
Rebuild time
post #16 of 17 Old 10-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybee1669 View Post

A salesman at Discount told me this is typical of the Falkens. He said that at the halfway point of wear, they're worn out in reality.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-16-2013, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Can u point me in the direction of that deal on 6 SS for 600?
there not new, about 80% tread. there local to me, pretty sure youll double the price to have them shipped to texas

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode