Hot Rod Guy decides to Build the wifes Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hot Rod Guy decides to Build the wifes Jeep

Hay Guys my name is Rodger Lee and I build pretty high end Hot rods for Ironworks Speed & Kustom for a living. My wife and I discussed getting a Jeep a few months ago to have different change of pace from hanging out at car shows. So I started doing the internet reasearch to try and figure out what parts are junk and what is not to be able to build a quality vehicle. Since my wife is going to drive it daily, it had to handle pretty well and ride as good as possible. Plus I wanted some tires that were not super loud, but still worked off road. Since I build some pretty nice cars and trucks for customers it has to have the look.

So I decided to go with the Currie Rock Jock 5.5" lift, For the money it has really solid parts and comes highly recommended. There were a few other kits I considered but they were all 500 to a 1000 bucks more with some features I'm not sure are toatlly needed. I wanted a lift kit that either came with high quality shocks or did not come with shocks so I could get some really nice shocks to help with road manners. The Currie Rock Jock lift does not allow you to adjust caster with the link totally installed on the Jeep, but once you have gone through the hassle of aligning and fine tuning the links length for alignment and driveshaft angles, it is done. But that was the only draw back I saw in the system. So after I decided which kit I wanted I put out some feeler to some buddies and got a good deal on the lift. I then decded that the compression adjustable Fox shocks were probably the way to go. I ordered them through a local retailer, and order my 37" BFG KM2's with 17 9.5" Xd series wheels. So here is where we are today.

After messing around with the caster and getting it set to 4.5 Degress it is less darty going down the road. I have the Compression adjusters set to 6. I might go softer on that setting but it drives and handles great. My Wife Loves it. I'm looking at doing some 5.38 gears and getting some rock slider, front and rear bumpers.

Since we are kind of known in our industry for Bending tubing and building some pretty slick chassis's we will have to whip up something to show what we can do. www.ironworksspeedandkustom.com

I was hoping this would not become as consuming as the Hot Rods I build on a daily basis, But now I'm just trying to keep myself from going over board.

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Very nice, I always like that color. It'll be fun to see the end result. With your ability and tools, you could also build a nice cage for that thing...

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
post #3 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Looks killer! Keep us posted on the sliders and bumpers. Need to see progress pictures as they develop.

Checked out the Ironworks website, some killer Hot Rods!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys, My wife thinks it funny how she drove a bone stock honda for years to work and nobody ever said a word to her about her car. Then she gets a jeep and everyone wants to talk about it. Then her jeep gets lifted and everyone asks where it is the one day I get to drive it because I have to work on it....... Yeah thats it work on it.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quite a change from high end hot rods to something that is an underpowered brick.... I am sure you can take care of that though.

Its too cool that she is enjoying the new ride, and it looks great!

Welcome to JKO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworks View Post
I was hoping this would not become as consuming as the Hot Rods I build on a daily basis, But now I'm just trying to keep myself from going over board.
And good luck with that........

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 07-27-2009 at 07:18 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Rock God

sweet

2015 JK Unlimited Anvil
SOLD -2009 JK Unlimited Rubicon Deep Water Blue
1987 YJ Stretched 60/14 40" LTB's
post #7 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Rock God

WHAT?!....no flames, no trick paint job, no blower out the hood?!....I expected more from a Hot Rod fabricator

...Just messin with ya, looks SLICK man...good job so far!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like us on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys I have not done a whole lot yet. I'm hoping to get some bumpers and rock sliders going pretty soon so I can start on the light bars. Then it will be time to start the Saturday fab work on this thing.

Thanks again
post #9 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sweet.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 PM
Rock God

Welcome aboard... It looks like you're off to a good start!

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #11 of 21 Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Granite Guru

Nice. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Makes me wish I was better at making stuff. I can barely make jello let alone create a bumper.

2008 Rescue Green Unlimited Sahara
TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
post #12 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Guys, I have always told my customers if somebody mass produces what you want it will be cheaper then something completely from scratch. Sure we have the ability to design stuff in Solidworks, have parts press broke and we could then build our own bumpers, but there are some companies out there that make a some solid parts. I have been looking a 3 different companies for rock sliders and bumpers this week. Then it will be time to choose a Winch. I got 2 yellow top Optima batteries, the other day, I just need to decide whether to build a dual battery box of buy one. After we get done with all the publicity of truck project we just finished and get this race car done, I plan to put in a few days building a pretty nice roll cage and light bar for above the windshield.

Yeah I think this project is offically out of hand.....
post #13 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Rock God

Thumbs up

I get the feeling there may be a Hemi install in the future for your JK!!

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #14 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 09:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Yeah I think this project is officially out of hand.....

that happens fast... we can be your support group (<--read enabler)

Whatever you do... buy american! There are plenty of quality builders over here and we have to support our own.

As for the batteries check out Benchmark Design kick ass setup for dual optimas... one stop shop and very nice setup.

post #15 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Nice Jeep!

Quote:
Yeah I think this project is offically out of hand.....
Naw not yet. I thought mine was out of hand, but you can always see blownJK's ( https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3642 ) (which BTW is no longer blown) It always go there to prove to myself that my Jeep addiction is under control!
post #16 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
As for the batteries check out Benchmark Design kick ass setup for dual optimas... one stop shop and very nice setup.
I see a Hemi in his future, so I would not do this. I can't imagine a Hot rod guy living with the 3.8 for long, and the Benchmark tray will not work with a Hemi. The stock tray is already too big for a Hemi.
post #17 of 21 Old 07-29-2009, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edivebuddy View Post
I see a Hemi in his future, so I would not do this. I can't imagine a Hot rod guy living with the 3.8 for long, and the Benchmark tray will not work with a Hemi. The stock tray is already too big for a Hemi.
I was noticing that the dual batteries might interfere with the install of the Hemi, Oh I guess that means I have been thinking about the HEMI.......

Last edited by Ironworks; 09-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hanson Bumper install

Well We I picked up the uncoated rear bumper today from Hanson Offroad. They are right across town from me. I ordered all the parts uncoated so I could do some mods to the bumpers before I coated them a special color.

Pretty easy install.

Should get the rock sliders and front bumper and winch late next week.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

looking good. how bout some pics of some cars youve done

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #20 of 21 Old 09-18-2009, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

post #21 of 21 Old 09-19-2009, 04:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Looks awesome, keep us posted on the build.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode