Spare tire rotation - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Spare tire rotation

I recently purchased a 07 Rubicon "mall runner" with 25K on it and the spare has never been rotated in. I would like to get all the life I can out of the BFG Mud Terrains before I start adding "goodies". Anyone know of any problems that I might have by putting on one tire with 25K less miles than the others. By the way the tread difference between the spare and the others is barely noticable. It just seems like a waste to let that spare just rot on the back tire carrier. Thanks for the look.

Tightass

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM
gpb
Wheeler

If tread depth is nearly identical I'm not sure there would be any issues with putting it into the rotation sequence.

I'm curious though; how much tread depth difference is there in 25,000 miles?

'09 Unlimited Rubicon with a few gewgaws and doodads
post #3 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Without some type of tread gauge I would guess somewhere between a quarter and an eighth inch. The tires appear to have worn very well.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-26-2009, 06:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

rotate it in.....

I have had tires get replaced under warranty for side wall punctures etc.... and had more than 25k miles on the other tires. As long as it is balanced properly I cannot imagine it doing any harm. Shoot discount tire an email...

Last edited by Mr.RonGilbert; 07-26-2009 at 06:40 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-27-2009, 07:51 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Rotate all 5

I rotate all 5 tires. I have rotated them every 5000 miles since I got the jeep new. I'm at 26700 now. When it is time to replace them, I'll go with something a little larger. Maybe just up to 33's. It will depend on my pocket at that time.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
Without some type of tread gauge I would guess somewhere between a quarter and an eighth inch. The tires appear to have worn very well.
well, first of all, 1/4 inch is a huge difference. For every mile driven, that 1/4 deeper thread tire would have traveled 82.5 feet farther then the others. Of course, being attached to the vehicle, it cannot.

Second of all, rotate it in, lol. When I have a big difference in depth I first put it in the passenger rear. NOt sure what it is but that tire always seems to wear the fastest there.

you will be ok with the different size tire. The Jeep isn't exactly a street handling machine to begin with, lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode