2wd or 4wd 4door Unlimited Sahara buying advice? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

2wd or 4wd 4door Unlimited Sahara buying advice?

Asking advice (not flames) on which to buy. I will be buying a 07-09 4 door Sahara in the next few months. The Jeep will be driven from March-Nov, no winters (road salt is murder here). I want it because it's a convertible 4 door. It would never be off roaded, just a daily driver. My questions; is the 2wd MPG the same as the 4wd, is the acceleration the same?, and how much lower is the resale of a 2wd compared to a 4wd.
besides that are there any other pros and cons for a 2wd vs a 4wd? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 11:52 AM
Granite Guru

Not only how much lower is the resale, but how long will it take you to sell it if/when you want/need to. Seriously, very VERY few people in the world want to buy a 2wd wrangler. Vehicles are already a miserable "investment" as a depreciating asset... why intentionally make it worse? Go 4wd, and maybe you will even use it once or twice. If not, you have an extra selling point that the rig has never seen dirt and would increase its sellability and value...
post #3 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

just get the 4wd, then you'll get hooked and want to wheel it x2 about the resale though, much higher for the 4wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Granite Guru

A 2wd drive Jeep is like a busted dick, its there but nobody wants to use it.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Resale could be a problem as I live in Western, NY. I'll look for a 4wd. Is there any difference between 2wd and 4wd in mpg or acceleration or wouldn't I notice it? Used 2wd's are much cheaper though.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Rock God

Mileage will suffer with 4wd even when just using 2wd. You'll have parasitic drag from the front axle and then the added weight of the extra parts as well. I'm not sure on how the MPG's differ but that can probably be found on Jeep's website. A 4x4 will normally sit higher than the 2wd vehicle so you'll also have some added wind drag too.

The 2wd should be faster if all things are equal (gears, tire sizes, etc) just b/c of the lesser weight and lesser parasitic drag. Would you notice the difference in acceleration? I think you'd be hard pressed to see much of a difference.

Unless you plan to keep the Jeep until you die, I would buy the 4x4. Who knows, you may want to use it someday or you may hand it down to a relative who might really benefit from the 4x4. I used to live up that way and I know that you'll take a big hit on resale if it's not 4x4.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 05:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco440 View Post
Resale could be a problem as I live in Western, NY. I'll look for a 4wd. Is there any difference between 2wd and 4wd in mpg or acceleration or wouldn't I notice it? Used 2wd's are much cheaper though.
Up until 10 years ago,I hailed from Dansville NY.What is the problem with using it in winter?Hell,thats where the JK's start to really shine,and they are built like a tank.Mpg isn't way off either,most get 18 or so around town and 21+ on the hwy.Damn good mileage considering how heavy it is,and I am referring to stock configuration.Stuff don't rust out that fast back there.Man up,get a 4x4 JK and enjoy it.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....

Last edited by lohchief; 07-26-2009 at 05:22 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

You've been gone a long time if you can't remember how quickly cars rust up here. I am near Jamestown. I bought a '98 Grand Cherokee new and within 4 years it was rusting, especially the bottoms of the doors and the door pillars. Clearcoat on the aluminum rims also took a hit. Looked like hell 10 years later, but ran well. Anyway, first thing I do is undercoat them. The only way to keep a vehicle nice and rust free for a long time up here is to buy a winter beater or heavy undercoat. It's hard to believe how much salt and salt brine they dump on the roads here. Tons and Tons every day. Anyway, i'll look for a 4wd since the mpg isn't that much different from 2wd. Now to decide on a manual or automatic. I'll do 60% city driving and 40% highway driving with it. Pretty hilly around here as well. Does it have the hill holder for the clutch?
Thanks
post #9 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to srbaker2 Send a message via MSN to srbaker2 Send a message via Yahoo to srbaker2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sco440 View Post
Does it have the hill holder for the clutch?
Thanks
What is a hill holder?
post #10 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

I think Jeep calls it
HILL START ASSIST – STANDARD ON ALL MODELS WITH BOTH TRANSMISSIONS
Not sure it if was available on 07-08's
Keeps the car from rolling backwards at a stop on a hill.

Last edited by sco440; 07-26-2009 at 06:37 PM.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-26-2009, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Bought a new 97 ram 1500 in august of 96,drove the hell out of it,traded it for a new cherokee in 2000,zero rust on the body.No undercoating at all.All my vehicles prior to that,same thing except for a 79 subaru that had rust long before the engine would have given out.We lived in the hills between Dansville and Wayland,wife worked up at RGH and made the trip every day.....no rust out.We traded in every 3 years due to miles.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #12 of 14 Old 07-28-2009, 03:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

They make 2wd Wranglers? Why?

2010 Unlimited Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-28-2009, 03:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not really sure why.Hell,I can't imagine why anybody would even want one.Don't make sense to me. I think thats why they make subaru's.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

I say 4wd. Even if you don't use it in the winter, all it takes is one good storm to wash a road out and you will be glad you have it. As far as mpg and resale...... if it really concerns you, a Wrangler is not the best economical choice. Buy one for what it can do..... not for what it can $ave you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode