Bumper paint recommendations.. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Bumper paint recommendations..

So I want to save a few bucks and paint my new bumper in the garage. I'm no stranger to the rattle can, rather I'm looking for reco's on a flat or semi gloss textured black paint to somewhat match textured black powder coating. Any input is appreciated...
Oh...also, has anyone used the "hammered" texture paint?

2012 JKU Altitude
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 06:26 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I would recommend the rust oleum spray on Bedliner. I bought some to touch up my textured powdercoated bumpers, since I have sanded by bumper down and hit it with that.

I also just ordered a BFH and sold my brawler lite, so I will be using it to do the whole bumper in the coming weeks.

I have also used the hammered finish stuff, for a few house projects and did a kids bike with it. Actually is pretty nice and tough as nails ! No ambitions to do anything on the jeep with it though.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #3 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I would recommend the rust oleum spray on Bedliner. I bought some to touch up my textured powdercoated bumpers, since I have sanded by bumper down and hit it with that.

I also just ordered a BFH and sold my brawler lite, so I will be using it to do the whole bumper in the coming weeks.

I have also used the hammered finish stuff, for a few house projects and did a kids bike with it. Actually is pretty nice and tough as nails ! No ambitions to do anything on the jeep with it though.
I think I have some Rusto bed liner. I've never used it on any "harms way" parts for fear it wouldn't hold up well. Do you spray it over primer?

2012 JKU Altitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

X2 on this recommendation. I just used it on a set of Poison Spyder Crusher Flares and they came out great! Can says it can be used over primer or bare metal. I used a self etch primer first just to be safe. And aluminum is sometimes difficult to get paint to adhere to. Used this a few months ago on a Hi-Lift carrier I built and it is holding up pretty well. It has more of a hard feel to it than some bedliners, and seems pretty tough. The beauty of it is that touch up is super easy and the texture blends with itself pretty well also. One word of caution though, this does not have the film thickness of some other bedliner products out there so it won't "hide" much better than paint. So your surface imperfections WILL show - surface prep will need to be almost the same as for paint.

I have also used the hammered for another project in the past. Texture was just OK, not great IMO, but it could be I just needed to refine the application technique. The worst problem was the UV damage. After two years there was NO texture and the paint was breaking down. This was on a set of tube bumpers on a truck, so was outdoor, in car washes, etc.

Depending on the texture you're trying to match, you might also want to look into some Wrinkle Finish paint. It's pretty readily available. I think Duplicolor sells one. I have some (not Duplicolor) around so if you need a name, shoot me a PM and I'll get it for you.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 04:27 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Yup, used it over a few coats of self etching primer. What's better for parts that get beat up than somethingyou can tape off and hit with the spray can for touch up ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...

Last edited by Asmmns; 09-30-2013 at 08:06 PM.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I used the Rustoleum textured when I paint mine. Looks closer to powder coat than most out there.

Get a can of each that you are considering and see what each one turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
X2 on this recommendation. I just used it on a set of Poison Spyder Crusher Flares and they came out great! Can says it can be used over primer or bare metal. I used a self etch primer first just to be safe. And aluminum is sometimes difficult to get paint to adhere to. Used this a few months ago on a Hi-Lift carrier I built and it is holding up pretty well. It has more of a hard feel to it than some bedliners, and seems pretty tough. The beauty of it is that touch up is super easy and the texture blends with itself pretty well also. One word of caution though, this does not have the film thickness of some other bedliner products out there so it won't "hide" much better than paint. So your surface imperfections WILL show - surface prep will need to be almost the same as for paint.

I have also used the hammered for another project in the past. Texture was just OK, not great IMO, but it could be I just needed to refine the application technique. The worst problem was the UV damage. After two years there was NO texture and the paint was breaking down. This was on a set of tube bumpers on a truck, so was outdoor, in car washes, etc.

Depending on the texture you're trying to match, you might also want to look into some Wrinkle Finish paint. It's pretty readily available. I think Duplicolor sells one. I have some (not Duplicolor) around so if you need a name, shoot me a PM and I'll get it for you.
Are you using rattle cans or a HVLP spray gun?

2012 JKU Altitude
post #8 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Yup, used it ver a few coats of self etching primer. What's better for parts that get beat up than so etching you can tape off and hit with the spray can for touch up ?
I don't disagree, I just haven't done it yet. I suspect that's going to change this weekend.

2012 JKU Altitude
post #9 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
I used the Rustoleum textured when I paint mine. Looks closer to powder coat than most out there.

Get a can of each that you are considering and see what each one turns out.
I think that's the route I'm going to take. Thanks for the input.

2012 JKU Altitude
post #10 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I use...

Rust-Oleum Self Etching Primer
Rust-Oleum Satin Textured Black

Still looks perfect a year later...

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #11 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
I use...

Rust-Oleum Self Etching Primer
Rust-Oleum Satin Textured Black

Still looks perfect a year later...

Is it on your bumpers?

2012 JKU Altitude
post #12 of 21 Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
Is it on your bumpers?
Yep! It's on my bumpers and rock sliders.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #13 of 21 Old 10-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Granite Guru

Duplicolor Bedliner
post #14 of 21 Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
Granite Guru

I like both the Duplicolor or Rustoluem Spray on bed liner or the Rustoleum Hammered Finish brush-on paint. I've had great success with both in the past and only went with the bed liner on my JK's bumpers because it matches the flares better.

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
post #15 of 21 Old 10-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

I had been using krylon, semi flat as its uv stable, but as Im respraying fairly often just going to go rustoleum. Easier to find. But those arent textured.

Id like to know what I can get in cali. To match wrinkle black powdercoat though as it seems a lot of products are on the banned list

sent from my difference engine.

Unspoilt by progress.

Last edited by gnarlyswine; 10-02-2013 at 03:01 PM.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-03-2013, 10:04 PM
Wheeler

I wouldn't say fusion is uv stable. That shit didn't last six months on my fenders. Plus, mud permanently stains it.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-04-2013, 01:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXCAJN View Post
Are you using rattle cans or a HVLP spray gun?
Sorry to drop out on you guys. I'm using the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating in a rattle can. Here are a couple of shots from my Poison Spyder fenders I did on Tuesday.

Been letting these cure the requisite 72 hours so they don't stick, but am planning to get them installed tomorrow. At a little distance, they really don't look too much different than the factory texture, just blacker. (See my build thread for a teaser shot of the fronts clamped in place.)

The fenders are aluminum. They came DA sanded from PS, so prep was minimal. Had a few nicks from shipping damage that took a little spot putty, then self-etching Duplicolor primer, scuff when dry, and spray the bed coating. Follow the directions on the can and beware because this stuff goes on FAST! You can run it in a heartbeat if you get too close or too slow.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 10-04-2013 at 01:20 AM.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 AM
Rock God

I have used both the rustoleum bedliner and the rustoleum flat black. Both work well. Also look at the rustoleum hammered. I have used that on my new PSC parts for the LJ and it has turned out really good.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-04-2013, 07:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Did the rockers on my ZJ with Duplicolor Bed Armor a few months back, holding up pretty well to my shoes always rubbing against it when I get in/out. Waiting to see how well it'll hold up with all the winter shit.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #20 of 21 Old 10-04-2013, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Self etching primer on...Rustoleum Bed liner coats start tomorrow
Attached Images

2012 JKU Altitude
post #21 of 21 Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So, I'm an idiot and recently remembered that I coated the Rubi rails in Rustoleum bed liner (actually had half a can in the garage). They've done well so I'm sticking with it on the bumper.

2012 JKU Altitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode