Prospective owner questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Prospective owner questions

So Im very interested in buying a JKU in the near future. Ive been shopping around on craigslist looking for good deals and I have several questions.

Im more than likely looking at an 07-09 just because of the price range I am hoping to stay in ($18k or less would rock, but I could afford new if it were worth it).

So my first question, how high is to high when it comes to milage? Pretty much every jeep under $20k is close to or above 100k miles. I dont know enough about them in terms of reliability to determine if that is too much or perfectly fine as long as it has been maintained and not wheeled hard.

I also really want an automatic, are there any known problems with automatics, particularly higher milage ones?

Do auto door lock/windows only come on certain models? If so, is it possible/cheap to upgrade to them later on if I find a jeep with manual?

Lastly, I want a hard top but lots of the JKUs I see come with soft tops. How much would a hard top run me if I were to buy one separate? I saw one site that had the 3 piece freedom top listed at around $2600 which seems awfully high. Are there many of them used for sale often? I mainly want to gauge whether or not I should hold out and find a wrangler that comes with one or consider aftermarket if the price is right. Also, are the hard tops and soft tops easily interchangeable? I would love to have a hard top for winter and most daily driving, but switch to the soft top for some trips and nicer weather.

Any tips/advice for a future owner? Im coming from a manual 2007 Mustang GT so I know its going to be very different.

edit: Oh yeah, one more thing. With my mustang lots of places sell take off leather for the seats (like when Shelby, Roush, or Saleen upgrades them they sell the stock leather skin). Are there similar things or the JKUs? I paid like $400 for leather/suede skins for my seats and ripped out the cloth and replaced them at home so I have super nice seats for WAY less than OEM prices. Ive seen a few newer wranglers with really nice interiors.

Last edited by AXIS; 09-28-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Granite Guru

Would you buy a mustang with over 100K? You should do a little more looking around.

2011 2door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
facebook.com/blacksheep4x4sorg
Black Sheep 4x4s Board Member
post #3 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

the problems ive had at 70k i wouldnt buy one with that much mileage. find one with power windows /locks , it wont be a easy take putting them in

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-28-2013, 03:52 PM
Rock God

It's going to be hard to find an automatic JKU with power options and a hardtop in the price range you are looking. Jeeps hold their value very well so if you really can afford new, I would. 12+ has a different engine and a new automatic trans that is light years better than the old one.

there are routinely hard tops on craigslist for about $1000-1500. Used soft tops are usually a lot cheaper. If you buy a Jeep that came with a hardtop from the factory it will already be wired up for the wiper and rear defroster. If not you have to buy an install kit, but I think its under $200.

I own a soft top, and IMO it's the only way to go. Easy to put up and down (however I own a 2 door, never messed with a 4 door) and you really don't get the Jeep experience unless the top and doors are off. My top is pretty quiet, does a good job insulating and doesn't leak except in heavy downpours.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #5 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 06:41 AM
Rock God

I went through this with my daughter's vehicle. She really wanted a jeep. I started the search for a used 2 door JK in good shape. Best deal I came across was an 09 2 door with 59k on the odometer for 16900. I was going up Friday to look at it. Figured I would offer him 15 or so for it. He sold it that Thursday for his asking price of 16900.

Jeeps hold their resale amazingly well. I ended up buying my daughter a new 2 door (no power locks/windows) for 22k. It was truly a base jeep. Only thing added to it was an automatic tranny. A friend of mine has an 07 in that cool dark gray/blue color. He keeps getting letters from the dealership offering him 18500 in CASH for his vehicle. My advice would be to suck it up and buy new. Save your money and pay up the difference.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe

My buddy just traded his 39K mile '09 JKU Auto Rubicon in for $18K to a dealer, so deals can be had. It was fully loaded, never wheeled, and in perfect condition.

He picked up a '13 2-door Rubicon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
post #7 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 07:55 AM
It never ends...

Same reasons as everyone else I've been buying new jeeps. Last year ('12) it was a JKR and a JKUR. The interiors of the new jeeps are so much nicer than the older ones too. Plus the vvt power is really nice.

If I was going to do heavy mods for extreme trails, then I'd be looking for the cheapest jeep available. Btw, Lately I've been looking for a salvage jeep and even those are relatively expensive.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #8 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Do you guys think there are any deals on left over 2012s or 2013s at dealerships?
I built a base jeep with an auto and hard top and it priced it at like $28k. Do you guys think I dealer would come off that price much?
post #9 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 08:05 PM
Rock God

You won't find any 12's unless you look for used. There aren't many changes this year from the 13 to 14 model year so I don't expect there to be too much of a price difference. It all depends on the dealer. Some will blow out old models and some don't.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
post #10 of 10 Old 09-29-2013, 08:10 PM
Rock God

Also, use www.truecar.com to see what others are paying and what a realistic deal is.

Mike
'07 2 door soft top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode