dropping gas tank? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
dropping gas tank?

anybody drop the tank to get the skid off? i need to beat mine straight again and after messing with it a bit today i realize i need to remove it completly but dont want to get in over my head with the tank.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11628

This should help

Scroll down in the thread I listed what needs to be removed and posted pictures in the last post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11628

This should help

Scroll down in the thread I listed what needs to be removed and posted pictures in the last post
LOL, listen to him, he should know....dju ever get another skid or just go back with the original?

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

thanks. was there enough slack on all those to drop it a little to get them un hooked/re hooked?

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
thanks. was there enough slack on all those to drop it a little to get them un hooked/re hooked?
You can disconnect everything before you even remove a single bolt.

|
|
post #6 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryp View Post
LOL, listen to him, he should know....dju ever get another skid or just go back with the original?
I put the old one back on after I straightened it, I'm not sure what I am going to.

|
|
post #7 of 13 Old 07-23-2009, 09:00 PM
Rock God

not to hi-jack the thread here but would it possible to unbolt, leave everything connected and just slide the skid out without disconnecting the tank. I know you would have to have something to support the tank but Im thinkin a pair of jack stands with a little peice of plywood over hem could hold that tank up and save a lot of time.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i dont think you could. the way the skid is you wouldnt be able to get it out of thw way to get jackstands in there

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 13 Old 07-24-2009, 04:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepersheart View Post
not to hi-jack the thread here but would it possible to unbolt, leave everything connected and just slide the skid out without disconnecting the tank. I know you would have to have something to support the tank but Im thinkin a pair of jack stands with a little peice of plywood over hem could hold that tank up and save a lot of time.
You would waste more time trying to separate the two while in the jeep. The gas tank does not fit loosely in the skid you have to force it out and back in. I wouldn't consider that a hijack that's a good question.

|
|
post #10 of 13 Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Rock God

cool thanx for the info, I guess I will be waiting till I am ready to replace it then I have a tendency to make even small jobs a big ordeal.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Granite Guru

Having taken a gas tank out in my Mustang once I will suggest that you drain it as much as possible. The tank and skid will be heavy enough without the extra weight of the gas.
post #12 of 13 Old 07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Rock God

Let's just say I could tell a funny story about dropping the fuel tank skid to clean out the rocks and other debris that had accumulated. There is a reason why the first three letters in the word assume are there, and why you should never “assume” the fuel tank is mounted separately from the skid plate… I highly recommend that you do not have a full tank of fuel when decide to quickly drop the skid plate to clean out the said debris; don’t ask how I know this!

I must say, I am thankful I had my 17yr old son outside at the time, or I might still be lying underneath the Jeep, with a stunned stupid look on my face… I never imagined the only thing holding the tank in place was the skid, wrong!

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it." -Ronald Reagan-
post #13 of 13 Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Rock God

HEY!....make sure it's mostly empty ....don't ask

Like us on

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode