New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

New Poison Spyder Tire Carrier

For those of you that don't follow them on facebook...

"Here's a sneak peek at an upcoming new product: the JK Spare Tire Carrier. As it is body-mounted, it can be used with the stock bumper, or any of ours or other aftermarket bumpers that don't have an integrated tire carrier. From afar it may look kind of similar to other products that are on the market, but when you get a chance to see it up close there are some pretty cool and unique engineered features to it, both at the hinge and latch side. We'll talk more about it soon, but you can check it out in person on the CA4WDC Sweepstakes Jeep, which will be in our booth at the Off-Road Expo."

"What a great response and a lot of questions asked about the JK Spare Tire Carrier we posted a sneak peak of this morning. Many of you wanted to see the latch side, so here's a look at it. Note the body-side of the latch is contoured to fit the curvature of the JK's body or the Crusher Corners. The carrier-side of the latch closes against a pair of CNC machined steel alignment pins to support the load of the tire, while the single latch only has to keep it shut tight to the body-side piece. To answer a few more of the questions that have been asked: It is designed to fit up to a 40" tire. The tire shown in the photos is a 37". We hope to have it in production and available for purchase in about a month, however as with any of our new product releases, that guesstimate isn't written in stone. Yes we are working on Rotopax mounts for it, although they may not be ready when the product launches. Target price is in the ~$850 range, without options such as Rotopax mounts. At this point there are no plans to produce a version of this for the TJ. Any other questions, feel free to post 'em!"

"Here's another shot of the forthcoming JK Spare Tire Carrier, plus answers to a few more questions that have been asked about it:
1. No, it does not require Crusher Corners. In fact it is designed to work either with or without them. If you DO use our Crusher Corners, you will need to trim away some material around the hinge cut-outs on the passenger side Crusher Corner, to clearance for the tire carrier hinges.
2. Yes you will have to drill holes in the body, on the driver's side, to bolt the latch housing on.
3. You should be able to trim and re-install the stock plastic hinge covers--we haven't done that yet but will try to do it soon and get a pic.
4. There are no plans for an aluminum version, nor do we have plans to add a stinger hoop to the top of it.
5. The price is simply a reflection of the costs involved plus a standard markup. We never strive to be the "cheap" alternative in any product category. It may look simple to some, but there is a lot of engineering and specialized parts that go into this, at both the hinge and latch sides.
6. Our lack of a TJ version does not signify our "forgetting about the TJ" or lack of love for it. Check out our New Products page and you'll see that 7 of the last ten new products we've introduced were for the TJ.
Any more questions, keep them coming! If you're seeing this post for the first time and have a question about this that you don't see answered here, please check our previous posts about this item over the last couple of days. Lots of Q & A's in both the captions and comments there"

"Here's a closer look at the hinge assembly on the JK Tire Carrier we will be releasing soon. Note the offset "cam" mechanism on the hinge bolt. This allows fine-adjustment of the tire carrier alignment so that its both easy to install and easy to adjust for any size/weight of tire. This style of tire carrier from other manufacturers has been notoriously difficult to install and get aligned properly. Typically, once you have them installed, the weight of the tire may sag the carrier enough to throw everything back out of alignment. With these upper and lower adjustable hinges, fine-tuning the carrier's latch alignment--regardless of the weight of the tire--is as simple as turning the cams until its perfect, then tightening them down. Also notice the stop-block to keep carrier from swinging all the way around once its fully open. In case you missed it, see our previous photos posted yesterday and today for more info about this product!"

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 06:24 PM
Rock God

posted to annoy genright? lol
post #3 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Rock God

I'm sure it'll be a nice product, but I don't like how the bars are angled upwards so much. Hopefully we can see more pictures of it soon at different angles though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 06:41 PM
JKO Addict!

i like it but i think i remember seeing the price on Facebook somewhere around $895

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #5 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguyhasadd42 View Post
i like it but i think i remember seeing the price on Facebook somewhere around $895
$850.

I really don't get why people are complaining about the price(on facebook). A lot of bumper/tire carriers are between $900-$1,400. It simply comes down to if you don't want to spend that kind of money, Then don't. It's not like Poison Spyder is trying to pull a fast one on it's customers and overcharge them. The price is the price.

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson
post #6 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 07:23 PM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
I'm sure it'll be a nice product, but I don't like how the bars are angled upwards so much. Hopefully we can see more pictures of it soon at different angles though.
my first thought as well. hoping it'll grow on me though because i'm wanting to get rid of my smitty and get something less bulky

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Silver JKU
post #7 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavallini03 View Post
Im gonna guess its to clear various rear bumpers for those running a big ass spare. Wouldn't look right with a 33 on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #8 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM
Granite Guru

Any side views?

2009 Red Rock Rubi-MetalCloak Gamechanger + armor-37"MTR/K on 17" Birddogs-Teraflex gusset+sleeve-Yukon 5.38-LineX tub-ORH top-Igees-Shrockworks stubby-Warn Powerplant w/Viking synth
Tuffy-Genright rear-River Raider full skid-Tattons-AEV slider-Advance adapters-Poly stuff everywhere-ZERO rockrawler!!!!!! shiiite
post #9 of 48 Old 09-25-2013, 10:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The idea is great but the execution is pretty bad. It just doesn't have the style that the rest of the PSC line has.

Info:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #10 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 03:18 AM
Rock God

not bad.. just looks alittle basic... still prefer the EVO carrier

post #11 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 03:42 AM
Rock God

ill echo what a couple have said. its not bad at all, but in the looks dept its def not as "cool" as other offerings. it seems that it would be A LOT more lite weight than some of the other stuff so thats always a plus.
post #12 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

"Engineered features" on the tire carrier eh?...Shame that wasn't applied to their cage.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon.l View Post
ill echo what a couple have said. its not bad at all, but in the looks dept its def not as "cool" as other offerings. it seems that it would be A LOT more lite weight than some of the other stuff so thats always a plus.
I wonder how the weight will compare to GenRights aluminum carrier?

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #14 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM
JKowners Vendor

This is still a month or so out so we will have to see what happens.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #15 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

They can't sell that. There is no web gussets or spyders anywhere.

River City Offroad
Metal Cloak
post #16 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
It is odd there aren't any typical PSC identifiers on it....
post #17 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Lol. Nailed it.
post #18 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 AM
JKO Addict!

It's just a prototype. They'll add the spiders/webs before they bring it to market.

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #19 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cod View Post
It is odd there aren't any typical PSC identifiers on it....
Maybe they are covered by the Redlands tag? A few things of note:
-- The carrier does not appear to allow the use of the stock license plate
-- I am guessing the tag will go on the back where we see the Redlands plate
-- Angling the bars up keeps the tire high. I and many others have had issues on STEEP rocks with dragging the rear tire on a carrier.
-- landing block pressure is all on the quarter panel. My OR Fab carrier has caused the sheet metal to split on the rear tailgate where is contacts it on the bottom.
-- The pair of tapered indexing taps will help keep the carrier at the right height and also keep it from moving around.
-- I would like to see how they brace the swing brackets. Often a weak point.
Overall I really like it. If I were in the market for a tire carrier this would move above the OR Fab on my list. I still like the Genright swing DOWN carrier as a 40 on a beadlock weighs a LOT.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #20 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like it. I like the lack of gratuitous webs on the prototype. I like that it holds the tire nice an high so it won't get hung as easily dropping off a ledge. I like the cam bolts to adjust the fitment.

As someone who runs runs he ORFab carrier i know what a pain adjusting the thing can be and i usually have to do it after everywheeling trip.

I like the alignment pins on the latch side so the wirght doesn't rest on latch assembly. I like that there is enough room on the sides to add holders for rotopax or jerry cans or add a high lift jack holder to the rear.

As a consumer, i think the price seems high, but i'll be the first to admit that i don't have any idea how much money goes into building one (Including labor costs). But i do know that it is nice to have options out there.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #21 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 06:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

that price is ridiculously high for what you get. the fact that poison spyder feels the need to justify the high price by explaining why it is at that price point speaks for itself. I don't really believe there's enough engineering in this carrier to charge twice what it should be selling for.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #22 of 48 Old 09-26-2013, 07:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
that price is ridiculously high for what you get. the fact that poison spyder feels the need to justify the high price by explaining why it is at that price point speaks for itself. I don't really believe there's enough engineering in this carrier to charge twice what it should be selling for.
Hasn't stopped genright

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #23 of 48 Old 09-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Hasn't stopped genright
ya, but genright is a premium name brand.
post #24 of 48 Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 PM

this should be interesting
post #25 of 48 Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 AM
Wheeler

Yeah, getting one. The notion of the integrated tire carrier/bumper is great, but between wheelin' and, shall we say, energetic recoveries of others, my rear bumper/carrier combo relies on the bumper's alignment to the frame to keep from moving around. After my last outing ended up a winch and strap-fest, my setup is so far out of alignment, it just makes sense to divorce the carrier from the bumper. The only question for me, is will this PS setup work with my River Raider corner armor. I think it should, but I can't see the backside of the PS bracket on the drivers side to see if the mounting hole locations can be altered if necessitated by the way the armor is mounted.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode