How heavy is that 4 door hardtop? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

How heavy is that 4 door hardtop?

I just bought an 07 4 door Rubicon last week and was wanting to take the hardtop off and install the soft top for the remainder of the summer. Does anyone know how heavy that hardtop is? Can two guys handle it by themselves? Any tips would also be appreciated. Thanks ya'll.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Wheeler

My wife and I took ours off without any issues. Just make sure you place it on some wood planks to protect it. They are very expensive to fix.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Some one told me its a whole lot lighter if you unbolt it first, I dont he might be on to something.

My wife and I removed mine when I had it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

95lbs the rear section 15lbs per freedom panel, as others said can do it with two people easy
post #5 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Some one told me its a whole lot lighter if you unbolt it first, I dont he might be on to something.

My wife and I removed mine when I had it.
Nah, bolts don't make a difference.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

4 eye bolts and ratchet straps from the ceiling in my garage makes me have no clue how heavy or light it is...
post #7 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep... about 95lbs.... more awkward than heavy. I can get in and lift it by centering my shoulder blades (looking down) in the middle, a little towards the rear where most of the weight is. You can feel where the center of gravity is after a little practice. I use my arms to balance it, ease it off then squat down to the ground. Like has been said, set it on some wood blocks.

I have done that several times when no one was around to help me. No longer an issue with the trek top....

post #8 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've heard about 145... not sure though, I have a freedom top... use a winch to get mine off.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 AM
Rock God

My wife and I lift ours as well, the hardest thing is getting your fingers and hands under it!! Bulky and awkward is the worst part!!

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #10 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post Wife and I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
I just bought an 07 4 door Rubicon last week and was wanting to take the hardtop off and install the soft top for the remainder of the summer. Does anyone know how heavy that hardtop is? Can two guys handle it by themselves? Any tips would also be appreciated. Thanks ya'll.
My beautiful wife and I take ours on and off. We just lay it upside down on the grass in the yard. But we don't take it off for long periods of time, just a day or so now and then.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM
TrailDuty.com

As already mentioned, two people can handle it easily. Just watch the rear glass door, best to start with it up, as otherwise it may will pop up while moving the hardtop and shift the center of gravity.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks Ya'll. I appreciate the info.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 04:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Come on guys i take mine off by myself,
unbolt, open hatch, climb in lift with my back slide it back over the spare,
get out grab the balance point lift,walk backwards to blocks on ground crouch and crawl out!

After changing the ful length hard top on my cj8 th jk is pretty manageable

But yeah a winch or ratchet strap is much smarter safer for the paint.

got Jeep got stuff, never enough of the right stuff tho

Am I in deep enough yet?
post #14 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nourlmt View Post
get out grab the balance point lift,walk backwards to blocks on ground crouch and crawl out!.
Need a video of that!

post #15 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=nourlmt;161455]Come on guys i take mine off by myself,
get out grab the balance point lift,walk backwards to blocks on ground crouch and crawl out!

I did it by myself too, but was facing out the tailgate and walked it into my garage with it balanced on my shoulders... do not do it this way, get help from anyone you can

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #16 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nourlmt View Post

After changing the ful length hard top on my cj8 th jk is pretty manageable

But yeah a winch or ratchet strap is much smarter safer for the paint.
I've taken mine off several times and always by myself. I can see where this might be an issue for smaller peeps. Love to have had an extra hand but I'm to impatient and just want it done when I make the decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode