Warn Powerplant HP Winch Cover - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Warn Powerplant HP Winch Cover

So I talked to Warn a bit today, I guess the neoprene cover they originally offered ended up getting discontinued.

I can't imagine why they made it out of neoprene, that's basically wet suit material. I'd hope they'd make it out of something that would actually be water resistant. They only told me it was discontinued to find a material that was more UV resistant. No kidding, I bet the sun ate right through those neoprene covers!

So - my question is, has anyone seen any other Warn Powerplant covers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

personally, Why would you cover the winch? I like the looks of it and would not want to hide it.

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #3 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I run a neoprene cover on my winch
seems to be holding up pretty good
personally I want mine covered to help keep some of the weather off of it and most of all to keep the UV off of the synth rope on the spool

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Rock God

mines been sitting in the open for 2 years and no problems

covers are ugly
post #5 of 9 Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I run a neoprene cover on my winch
seems to be holding up pretty good
personally I want mine covered to help keep some of the weather off of it and most of all to keep the UV off of the synth rope on the spool
Exactly. Being in the car care industry I know all to well that the UV damage caused by the sun is the quickest way to ruin something I spent a ton of money on. I'd like it covered when it's not in use.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
post #6 of 9 Old 07-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Granite Guru

You could have a cover made of Sunbrella at an upholstry shop. That is the stuff boat covers are made from.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #7 of 9 Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Rock God

Garage
Cover

I'm to lazy to put a cover on and off!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
personally, Why would you cover the winch? I like the looks of it and would not want to hide it.
It really needs protection from the elements. Water does find its way into the motor and causes a build up of a white powdery type corrosion in there.
I got one of the first powerplants and a few weeks ago it stopped working so I took it apart to investigate. The inside of the motor was almost packed with that white powder. When I talked to Augie at Warn repair about what I should do about it, the first thing he said was it should be covered when not in use. The other thing I discovered when I took it all apart was how bad the drum had rusted to the point that the first few layers of rope around the drum had taken on the rust color and seemed to have rust embedded in the rope itself now. I cleaned all the white powder out of the motor and put it back together now and its working fine now. I also cleaned the drum up as well as I could and painted that with POR15 (love that stuff).

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 07-25-2009 at 08:58 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Granite Guru

neoprene cover

I have the neoprene cover for less then a year, and either the Sun or the car wash faded it, to the point were it's almost gray. Still looks OK, and it defiantly protects the winch from the sand and salt. I have been thinking of going down the road and having a custom cover made but to many other things to do first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode