Advise on replacing Dana 30 needed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Advise on replacing Dana 30 needed

As the title suggests I am looking for advise on upgrading / replacing my Dana 30 axle assembly. I plan to drop about $14,000 into this monster in about nine months but would like to have everything squared away long before then. My goal is run 37" tires locked front and rear to the standard transfer case (if that matters). The only performance upgrades this Jeep may see is a programmer and highly unlikely Supercharger many years down the road. By all means I do not have a heavy foot off road. I try the line three times and move onto something else if I cannot get traction or make the obstacle.

I was looking at purchasing G2 Axle and Gear Dana 60 assemblies until I saw that the front axle is twice the price of the rear assembly. That immediately killed the plan... Then came along Teraflex's TF44 front axle for only $2,146.99, a very reasonable price.

Let's say I pick up this Teraflex Dana 44 axle housing, what parts are needed to complete it? I don't mind re-using parts from my Dana 30 as long as it doesn't create a weak point.

Brakes - Can I use my Dana 30 setup? I don't see any reason I can't.

Gears - Will purchasing a standard gear set with master installation kit work or will I need to add in other various parts?

Axle Shafts - Will be using Ten Factory 30 spline Chromoly shafts.

Drive Shaft Connection - Does the assembly include the connection for the drive shaft? If not, what do I need?

Reinforcements - I will be using the Artec Industries Dana 44 truss and Inner C Gussets.

Lockers - I plan to use the OX electronic locker. I assume nothing extra has to be done except drilling a hole for the wire in the differential?

And that is all I know about axle assemblies. If I missed anything it must be escaping me at the moment or I just don't know it exists.

My second thought was to use a Rubicon Dana 44 up front instead of building up the Teraflex. I believe a factory Dana 44 should run between $2,000 and $2,500 while the Teraflex with locker will run closer to $4,000. Heck, I might not even put a locker in it right away as the extra $1,000 saved could be better invested into other parts of the Jeep.

Thanks for any assistance

2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demlockian View Post
As the title suggests I am looking for advise on upgrading / replacing my Dana 30 axle assembly. I plan to drop about $14,000 into this monster in about nine months but would like to have everything squared away long before then. My goal is run 37" tires locked front and rear to the standard transfer case (if that matters). The only performance upgrades this Jeep may see is a programmer and highly unlikely Supercharger many years down the road. By all means I do not have a heavy foot off road. I try the line three times and move onto something else if I cannot get traction or make the obstacle.

I was looking at purchasing G2 Axle and Gear Dana 60 assemblies until I saw that the front axle is twice the price of the rear assembly. That immediately killed the plan... Then came along Teraflex's TF44 front axle for only $2,146.99, a very reasonable price.

Let's say I pick up this Teraflex Dana 44 axle housing, what parts are needed to complete it? I don't mind re-using parts from my Dana 30 as long as it doesn't create a weak point.

Brakes - Can I use my Dana 30 setup? I don't see any reason I can't. Yes

Gears - Will purchasing a standard gear set with master installation kit work or will I need to add in other various parts? You will need an open carrier or a locker (which replaces the carrier

Axle Shafts - Will be using Ten Factory 30 spline Chromoly shafts.

Drive Shaft Connection - Does the assembly include the connection for the drive shaft? If not, what do I need? Your stock shaft will bolt up

Reinforcements - I will be using the Artec Industries Dana 44 truss and Inner C Gussets.

Lockers - I plan to use the OX electronic locker. I assume nothing extra has to be done except drilling a hole for the wire in the differential?

And that is all I know about axle assemblies. If I missed anything it must be escaping me at the moment or I just don't know it exists.

My second thought was to use a Rubicon Dana 44 up front instead of building up the Teraflex. I believe a factory Dana 44 should run between $2,000 and $2,500 while the Teraflex with locker will run closer to $4,000. Heck, I might not even put a locker in it right away as the extra $1,000 saved could be better invested into other parts of the Jeep.

Thanks for any assistance
Sounds like a solid plan. I would go with a stock unit if you can get it for the right price (in good condition) since you plan to add a truss and sleeves regardless. The Teraflex unit is great, but you can make the stock unit plenty strong with the addition of a truss and gussets (maybe sleeves too - just to be extra safe).

I would definitely add a locker right away if you plan on going with the Teraflex housing. You'll need to source an open carrier when doing the initial gear setup and then do another gear setup down the road if you upgrade to a locker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hopefully I am following this right...

If I do not use a locker right away I will have to get a Dana 44 open carrier to hold my gears and everything. When I upgrade to a locker I can use the same gears already installed but have to reinstall everything. At this point the locker (ARB / OX) would become my carrier. How much is a Dana 44 carrier?

If I opt for a locker right away (ARB / OX) I will not need a carrier as the locker takes its place.

What should I expect to pay a competent mechanic to install the ARB locker and gears? I have always been under the belief its about $500 an axle in labor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demlockian View Post
Hopefully I am following this right...

If I do not use a locker right away I will have to get a Dana 44 open carrier to hold my gears and everything. When I upgrade to a locker I can use the same gears already installed but have to reinstall everything. At this point the locker (ARB / OX) would become my carrier. How much is a Dana 44 carrier?

If I opt for a locker right away (ARB / OX) I will not need a carrier as the locker takes its place.

What should I expect to pay a competent mechanic to install the ARB locker and gears? I have always been under the belief its about $500 an axle in labor.

Yep you got it.

I am not sure what an open carrier cost. I think I read somewhere that you can use a stock TJ carrier. So it might not be expensive if you can get a used one.

Gear setup ranges from 150-500 per axle depending on where you are and who you go through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Rock God

You can order it from Teraflex setup with gears and locker. They have a LOT of options on how you get the housing setup. Call Teraflex or your dealer of choice.

I have jeeps. I do shit to them.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yea... Teraflex wanted over $7,500 for the in house Dana 60 with ARB locker and 5.13 gearing. I don't think the Dana 44 will be much lower. Before I spend that kind of money on a Teraflex axle I would go with a better known brand such as Dynatrek.

post #7 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Granite Guru

I am literally going through this right now.

I went with a Dynatrac Prorock 44 with ARB, RCV, and pro steer joints. Costs exactly 5k. Reusing brakes off of my D30. You could probably save a grand by going with alloy axles and a Detroit Locker.

I also went with the G2 60 rear for $3500. With ARB, alloys, and pro steer.

Like you I am planning 37s.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

IIRC, if you start out with a 30-spline carrier and axle shafts and later want to upgrade to a selectable locker, you also will need new axle shafts. I believe all the JK selectable lockers are 35-spline.

I would not do a Detroit on the front axle, only a selectable.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #9 of 15 Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Wheeler

Anyone want to sell there stock Dana 30 front to me cheap?
post #10 of 15 Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellwell View Post
Anyone want to sell there stock Dana 30 front to me cheap?
Where you at? My Jeep is in Salt Lake City, and is getting the stock Dana 30 (3.21 gears) pulled this week, in favor of a Dynatrac 60. The Jeep is brand brand new, and the axle only has 260 street miles on it.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K
post #11 of 15 Old 05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
Wheeler

I am in NY. If you would strap it to a pallet, I could see about shipping it.
How much would you wand for it?
post #12 of 15 Old 05-29-2014, 11:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellwell View Post
I am in NY. If you would strap it to a pallet, I could see about shipping it.
How much would you wand for it?
I will sell the Dana 30 front axle with 3.21 gears and 260 miles worth of use (all street driving) for $300.

We could strap it to the pallet the Dynatrac axle came on. Shouldn't be a big deal to get it ready for shipping, but I have no idea what shipping cost would be.

I sent you a PM with contact information.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon; 35s - no lift, Warn 9.5 XP-S, ARB Twin Air, SPOD
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (wife's Jeep)
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4; 6.7 CTD, Aisen, AEV Prospector conversion; 37s, 4.10s, Warn 16.5K

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 05-29-2014 at 12:14 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Wheeler

Called John but keep getting voice mail?
post #14 of 15 Old 05-30-2014, 03:55 PM
Granite Guru

I went with the dynatrac when I upgraded the front axle. It's much more fun wheeling knowing I don't have the d30 under there to worry about. I don't think they are as weak as some think but the piece of mind is welcome.

If your having someone else do the work wait and do the locker with it all at once.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-31-2014, 04:00 AM

Front JK Rubicon lockers are 30 Spline, Rears Are 32 spline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode