Northern Jeeps -- Soft Top or Hard Top? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Northern Jeeps -- Soft Top or Hard Top?

I have been running a dual top set-up now for the past year...My wife just bought a TJ that is lifted with a soft top (could use a new one) only...I have never really been a hard top person but she made me get one last year...It was nice to have for the winter but I think I could have made out okay with just a soft top too...

Here is the question, should I sell my hard top (4 Door) and buy a trek top for my JK and buy a trek top for her TJ?...I could use my pressent soft top for the winter and then the trek top for the spring/summer/fall...I am looking at from the point of no money out of my pocket to get her a new top...I am figuring I could get $1500-$1800 for my hard top...I would need $1300 for both trek tops and I should be able to get a little extra $$$ to put back into my JK...

What should I do?...Thanks for your opinions!!!

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Wheeler

Location: Sitting on top of the world with my legs hanging free

I did my first year in Boston with a soft top, it wasn't bad at all temp wise, the heat in the JK could cook a friggen hot dog, I don't even think I ever ran it on high, unless the doors were off...
I love the looks of the Trek Tops, I would say go for it
post #3 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 06:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

If you can, keep the hardtop. The rear defroster is really nice in bad weather, and it won't get as roughed-up as a softtop will by going through freezing/thawing cycles.

Also, check Craigslist- I'm certain you'll find a top or 3 on there for the TJ for not much $- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Granite Guru

I drove with a soft top only on my TJ for 5 years up here in Northwestern Ontario, just let it warm up for 10 mins before driving, the heaters kick ass in those things and the winters here average -30 Celcius

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #5 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM
JKO Addict!

I can't speak on the cold (haven't seen snow in like 12 years)

i heard a lot of problems with the trektop - get an OEM soft top
post #6 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 07:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^ I'd have to agree about the Trektop. They're cool for lighter duty, but a Replace-A-Top or factory take-off top is considerably thicker, and are build to be winter-ready. The Trek-tops are considered a summer top.
Again, check on Craigslist and save yourself $$$- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #7 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

I have the Trektop.

It's ok for the milder weather. I don't think I could trust it through a New England winter. The door frames are not as rigid as I'd like them to be for holding any kind of snow/ice weight. (No bows, just velcro).
I have to adjust the front door frames occasionally to keep the rain out.

Great for what it is... a quick 'n easy light top. If you run an OEM top in winter and use the Trektop for summer you should be fine.

Cheers,
Duffy
post #8 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, I was considering running the trek top on my JK for the spring/summer/fall months and then my OEM soft top for the winter...We don't really get much snow anymore here, maybe 1 or 2 storms that maybe over 3" or 4"...I had a '99 TJ with a soft top that I ran for 2 years without problems...I guess I should see if I can see a trek top on a JK before I actually go buy one...If there are issues with the trek tops then I don't want to mess with them...Yes they look cool but if there are more cons then pros then I think we will just look for another top for her and I will hold on the hard top...Thanks.

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #9 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Rock God

I have a Bestop on my TJ and it stays warm enough for Colorado winters.
the only PITA is the back window being dirty with slush.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Being in PA tank I'm not sure you get as slammed with the cold winds as we do. I like the trek top also but the hardtop is staying on mine. I would consider the purchase of a takeoff for the TJ if you get one and I'm not sure you'll get the coin on the hardtop as you thought but I'm sure a little over 1K is about right. 1300 ish...
post #11 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kickerman View Post
I have a Bestop on my TJ and it stays warm enough for Colorado winters.
the only PITA is the back window being dirty with slush.
This is why I like the hardtop for winter in Minnesota. The soft top would be adequate for warmth even on the coldest winter days, however, the hard top with wiper and defrost is much better for dealing with the snow, slush, and road salt.

Steve
post #12 of 12 Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Well, when we get a JK (may be sooner than I thought ) It will have a hard top for winter. Will probably be the only top for it too.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode