Should I get the lifetime warranty on 07?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Should I get the lifetime warranty on 07??

Well after another deal fell through, my dealer found a nice used 07 unlimited rubi. Its the 6 speed, jeep green, hard top with 186xx miles. It has some "mud stains" underneath it and a little in the engine, but no scars on any skids or sliders.
The factory bumper to bumper runs out at the end of March, and they offered me the lifetime powertrain for 2k. Would you guys with 07s recommend it to me? I have heard people say there are a few bugs in the earlier ones, but haven't heard of anything major. The build date for it is February 07, kinda in the middle for a 7, so thats not bad. I'm deciding on it tonight, but I think I'm gonna get the jeep with or without the lifetime warranty.
I posted this on jeepforum also, so sorry if you see it there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
JKowners Vendor

What do you plan to do with the Jeep? If you plan to wheel it, then you can expect some issues with the ESP/BAS, sway bar, and possibly lockers demagnetizing--all expensive things worth the $2K insurance. If you don't plan to wheel it much, don't plan to keep it more than a few years and you feel lucky about the previous 18K miles, then maybe save your money.

Also, all prices are negotiable.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
What do you plan to do with the Jeep? If you plan to wheel it, then you can expect some issues with the ESP/BAS, sway bar, and possibly lockers demagnetizing--all expensive things worth the $2K insurance. If you don't plan to wheel it much, don't plan to keep it more than a few years and you feel lucky about the previous 18K miles, then maybe save your money.

Also, all prices are negotiable.
Well, I am planning on wheelin it, got some good plans for it actually. My dealership is very understanding and supporting of wheeling so thats good. I know that 2k can be eaten up real quick with axle, trans, tcase, or motor problems. Like you said, maybe I can get the warranty on the cheap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

You can replace an entire axle. both drive shafts, transfer case, or an engine and tranny for less than $2k (parts only, labor is easy on the axles) you would need multiple failures to pay for that warranty. If you plan to re-gear, upgrade axle shafts, or upgrade the drive shafts, then you have already replaced many of the likely failure points and still spent less than $2k.

Just my $0.02.

Bryan.

PS. I turned down the warranty myself when it was offered later for my '07.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #5 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 AM
Rock God

The Jeep warranty dealers sell is available through any Chrysler/Jeep dealer. You can do a lot better through Chryslerwarrantys.com. I did.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 10:27 AM
Granite Guru

My opinion would be not to. I think its just luck of the draw if and when things break. If you want a warranty, I would look at a bumper to bumper warranty to get you to 75k miles or so instead of this lifetime PT warranty. Even then, it might not be worth it. Like mentioned above, you can do a lot of replacing/upgrading/repairing for the same price. If you are building in stages, you might have some new parts in the first year, other new parts the 2nd year, and so on... Not to mention, if you build it with a bunch of aftermarket parts, it might be difficult getting a dealer to perform some types of warranty work on it anyway.

In order or my preference, IMHO of course:
1- no warranty at all
2- aftermarket bumper to bumper
3- lastly, the lifetime PT warranty
post #7 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Agreed with RubiJK- an extended B-to-B is much preferred over a PT warranty. $2k is pretty huge to not be PT and B-to-B. They can do MUCH better.
Also, make sure ANY warranty is through Chrysler, not an aftermarket company. That'll save you a TON of hassle down the road- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #8 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would see how much warranties are thru chryslerwarranty.com and then goto dealer with that, I'd get a bumper to bumper though not just the powertrain
post #9 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Rock God

also depends on mods. they may not stand by the powertrain warranty if you do your own lift, or larger tires. the lift changes pinion angles which would wear out seals and bearings faster so they say. larger tires put more wear on the tranny and transfer case, and the wheel bearings. plenty of posts on this forum about dealers not living up to their warranties. i say no to the powertrain warranty. the bumper to bumper? well you could have some of the same issues with that too. put the 2 g's in a repair fund and use it if you break something.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-21-2009, 10:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I wouldn't.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODICON View Post
I wouldn't.
X2 or 3 or 4......

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #12 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Granite Guru

I also, would NOT get the extended warranty. In this months 4wd & SUV magazine the 4word section talks about the big 3 not honoring their warranties. If you still want get it look over the maintenance cycles first. If you are planning on doing the maintenance yourself keep all receipts. If you are planning on having the dealership do it, you may change your mind after you hear the prices. Maybe you could have them throw in lifetime oil changes.

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #13 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well I decided against the warranty, but for those interested, chryslerwarrantys.com had the same stuff for much less. Like $900 less. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Just signed all the papers last night, coolness.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Wheeler

When I bought my used 07 it had 7000 miles on it and I used the lifetime powertrain warrenty as a negotiating item. My friend works for the dealer and threw it in for FREE so I would buy the jeep. At that time he told me his dealership had to actually pay the $1000 to chrysler.... So two things... make them throw it in if they want the deal or offer to pay $500 for it not $2000. Just a thought.
post #15 of 15 Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveqvs View Post
When I bought my used 07 it had 7000 miles on it and I used the lifetime powertrain warrenty as a negotiating item. My friend works for the dealer and threw it in for FREE so I would buy the jeep. At that time he told me his dealership had to actually pay the $1000 to chrysler.... So two things... make them throw it in if they want the deal or offer to pay $500 for it not $2000. Just a thought.
Not to be a jerk or anything, but nothing is EVER free in auto sales- I'm sure Jason will agree. You paid for it somewhere, or it took your deal from a solid deal to a mini, but they had padded the deal SOMEWHERE, and took the $ for that warranty out of their profit. VERY few car dealerships will take a loss, and even fewer on a Wrangler, if any.
Any car dealership is going to fatten a used car deal- it's where more money is usually made these days. You can argue, beg, and plead, but at the end of the day, we're here as a BUSINESS, so expect to pay for what you want. Just remember to get what you want straightBEFORE the deal, or you'll pay more for it later- oops! Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode