hmm what to buy what to buy - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

hmm what to buy what to buy

hey guys, I hate to say it but iv got the jeep bug, it has taken me over. I have started to part out my other toy in order to buy jeep parts I will most likely have roughly 7,000$ to spend give or take a little. I have a stock 10 2 door jk sport. so my question to you guys is what would you buy?! I have an idea of what I want but figured some ideas from some other jeep owners couldn't hurt! thanks a lot guys much appreciated any insight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Lift, Tires/Wheels, Bumpers, Armor, Winch, Lights.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #3 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Rk 2.5 long arm. 2800$
35s (unless u come accross.another.2-3k for 37s and extra cost) 1600$
Wheel spacers -100$
Poison spyder brawler lite -550ish$
ace pro rear- 885$
Gears w/ install $1000.

Any extra id use for sliders, and shocks

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:39 PM
JKO Addict!

20" rockstar wheels with 35" tires replace everything you can with billet and put lots of led off road lights on it. Don't forget the colored rock lights.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #5 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
20" rockstar wheels with 35" tires replace everything you can with billet and put lots of led off road lights on it. Don't forget the colored rock lights.

Dats funny

post #6 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 02:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj13kings View Post
hey guys, I hate to say it but iv got the jeep bug, it has taken me over. I have started to part out my other toy in order to buy jeep parts I will most likely have roughly 7,000$ to spend give or take a little. I have a stock 10 2 door jk sport. so my question to you guys is what would you buy?! I have an idea of what I want but figured some ideas from some other jeep owners couldn't hurt! thanks a lot guys much appreciated any insight
What's your end game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #7 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 04:03 PM
Granite Guru

What kind of wheeling do you do in N.J.? That will determine what to install . If you like to haul ass across dirt roads , the build will be different then crawling rocks.Without knowing what you do , no one can tell you what to install.Maybe you just drive on the street , that would warrant doing nothing .
post #8 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Very funny ahah
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
What's your end game?
And I'm looking for a street/wheeler. I would have to drive it to work and so on but still want a very capable off-road jeep. Not really concerned with gas milage but still needs to have some street manors since I will be driving it a lot. I was thinking along the lines of rk 2.5 max travel with fox shocks, 35 mtz's (really would like 37s haha) with a regear of course. Not sure should I replace drive shafts or not some people say yes and some say no for that lift size. I basically want a well put together jeep that's done the right way I'm not one to cut corners.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 04:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj13kings View Post
Very funny ahah

And I'm looking for a street/wheeler. I would have to drive it to work and so on but still want a very capable off-road jeep. Not really concerned with gas milage but still needs to have some street manors since I will be driving it a lot. I was thinking along the lines of rk 2.5 max travel with fox shocks, 35 mtz's (really would like 37s haha) with a regear of course. Not sure should I replace drive shafts or not some people say yes and some say no for that lift size. I basically want a well put together jeep that's done the right way I'm not one to cut corners.
If I were starting with a bone stock rig, the first thing I'd do is Metal Cloak fenders. The removable ones, not the one piece. Next, I'd decide what tire size I was gonna run, then get the appropriate lift to make it work.

I'm kinda wondering what it'd look like with Metal Cloaks and a 2.5" lift with 37's. Probably like a roller skate. Maybe 2.5", Cloaks, and 40's... ?

Quote:

post #10 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Not a damn thing.

Go wheeling.

Wheel it some more.

Drive it... drive the SHIT out of it.

Watch others while wheeling. What impresses you about their rigs? ( cosmetic or performance wise). Read, ask questions, learn about your rig. Research the HELL out of what's out there... what works/ what doesn't?

After going off road and driving it a while on-road, start to determine what you would like to do with your rig. Don't try to determine all of that right now. What do you think of it's capabilities at that point? What does you rig NEED at that point?

Don't put the cart before the horse. Good luck.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 24 Old 09-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Granite Guru

Still didn't answer the question as to what kind of wheeling you intend to do .
post #12 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Granite Guru

You can't really go wrong with skids as a first round of mods. Engine/t-case/gas tank, lower control arm bracket skids, rear lower shock mount relocate/skids, diff covers. And a set of quick disconnects.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Wheeler

Skids and Rocker protection. It's very expensive to fix crushed rockers and doors that won't open/close.
post #14 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I agree with the rockers, but I would just use the stock skids until you need something better based on your budget, or wheeling style.

My stock skids and crossmember are beat to shit, but they have help up fine. Glad I spent that grand elsewhere... Like on a winch and locker !

Although I did do the LCA Weld on skids right away !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #15 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 09:45 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
If I were starting with a bone stock rig, the first thing I'd do is Metal Cloak fenders. The removable ones, not the one piece.
Next, front and rear diff armor, front skid. 35x12.5x17 Goodyear MT/R Kevlar with XD Enduro rims. Finally when available(under development now) Metalcloak 2.5 Ground Breaker suspension.

This is my wish list.

And the advice to wheel it and then research ask questions and observe other rigs is RIGHT ON.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants

Last edited by ratchettt; 09-23-2013 at 09:48 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 09:58 AM
JKowners Vendor

We know someone mentioned our 2.5" Long Arm, but how about a Long Arm with 3" of rear stretch???? Hmmmmm... Those builds are pretty sick!

No matter what you do, good luck with your build!

RK
post #17 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 10:09 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Not a damn thing.

Go wheeling.

Wheel it some more.

Watch others while wheeling. What impresses you about their rigs? ( cosmetic or performance wise). Read, ask questions, learn about your rig. Research the HELL out of what's out there... what works/ what doesn't?

After going off road and driving it a while on-road, start to determine what you would like to do with your rig. Don't try to determine all of that right now. What do you think of it's capabilities at that point? What does you rig NEED at that point?

Stub

This is great advice. For those of us that are old in Jeepin, alot of us remember when a 31" was a tall tire. Then 33's, then 35's, now 37's are the norm... Understanding you, your vehicle, and your needs are important...
post #18 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Krawler Suspension View Post
We know someone mentioned our 2.5" Long Arm, but how about a Long Arm with 3" of rear stretch???? Hmmmmm... Those builds are pretty sick!

No matter what you do, good luck with your build!

RK
That was myself, i didn't suggest a stretch because he is on such a tight budget. I figured the LA you can push the front axle forward an inch and still be good to go

post #19 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Not a damn thing.

Go wheeling.

Wheel it some more.

^^^^Thats what I did. I hung out with the wrong crowd though--buggies, built TJ's. Then I got addicted....

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #20 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If you lift it high enough you won't need the skids and sliders. I'm still running stock skids with the addition of an oil pan skid and stock Rubi sliders. Just lift it high enough that the rocks can't reach!

Quote:

post #21 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Easy:
RK 2.5” Max Travel
Flat Fenders
JCR Offroad Dagger bumper
JCR Offroad Rear bumper w/ tire carrier
VKS Fab rock sliders
Engo 10K LB winch
37” Tires
ATX Slab’s
Artec Truss/C-gussets/LCA skids
Evap skid or relocation
5.13 gears
Front Locker
Sport cage
Adams 1310 Driveshafts

It's fun shopping with other people's money.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #22 of 24 Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 PM
Granite Guru

What STUB said. What STUB said. What STUB said.

I chased the guys I ride with all over NJ with a bone stock 2010 Sahara. The only thing I couldn't/wouldn't/still wont do in NJ is deep water. I even ran Rausch bone stock and had a blast.

See what you can do stock on the trails with recovery gear and some experienced Jeepers. Then decide what you need/want. Keep in mind that lift, big tires and additional weight will kill your already marginal MPG.

Running Rausch changes things. Because of Rausch I have since added 2.5'' of lift 33's and Rubi rails. I do not see the need to replace the stock skids. One thing to consider is the transmission skid/bar(not plate) on later models is subject to crushing into the trans pan. The beefier 2010 tans skids were recalled and replaced with the bar. I kept my beefier skid. Protecting the oil pan is something I'm currently looking at.

Enjoy your stock Jeep. They grow up so fast.

Last edited by nj jk; 09-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj jk View Post
Enjoy your stock Jeep. They grow up so fast.
A great quote. I may have to repeat this one.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #24 of 24 Old 09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
Wheeler

If your 2010 is an auto, I highly recommend 5.13 gears. My first mod, and it was at only 1100 miles. Woke the 3.8 up nicely. As for the other goodies, I will follow suit and suggest that you wheel it and let that determine what you need. That philosophy has worked for me thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode