Paging GenRight or Nemesis.....we need an aluminum bolt-in roll cage.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Paging GenRight or Nemesis.....we need an aluminum bolt-in roll cage....

In planning my new 2-dr build - a LCG, light-as-possible, long travel beast....a gaping hole in JK product options became apparent.

Roll cage = good. Weight = bad. GenRight and Nemesis = good with that aluminum stuff.

When contemplating a roll cage, the first thing that came to mind was the weight of welding a bunch of DOM into my factory cage. Then came the though that all of that weight was also at the highest point on the Jeep. I've seen people create ridiculous roll cages on JKs that must weigh a ton.

So what a lightweight JK build needs is a simple, solid, bolt-on (obviously) sport roll cage made from aluminum. No one else that dabbles in aluminum for JKs to the extent GenRight and Nemesis do. So get after it and build that already, would ya? We're waitin' over here.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 06:38 AM
JKO Addict!

How well would the aluminum hold up in the result of a rollover?

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #3 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

7075 T6 aluminum has higher tensile and yield strength than steel. The strength-to-weight ratio is also four times higher. Even 6061 is no slouch. The factory cage would be the weak link in an aluminum sport cage setup.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
7075 T6 aluminum has higher tensile and yield strength than steel. The strength-to-weight ratio is also four times higher. Even 6061 is no slouch. The factory cage would be the weak link in an aluminum sport cage setup.
Well that's good to know. Thanks for the info!

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Rock God

Would be pretty sweet but way expensive.

Most race cars use chromoly or DOM tubing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #6 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Why not a chromoly tubed cage like they use in racecars and drag cars?

Sure my rig has seen the trail, but I wheel it like a soccer mom looking for a parking spot at Nordstroms.
post #7 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Couple of points...

Cost -
I really don't think it would cost that much more. GenRight and Nemesis already make aluminum fenders that will cost you about the same as steel fenders from other vendors. With GenRight the increase in cost for aluminum over steel is modest. The real difference is in materials cost and production velocity (MIG vs TIG, etc).

Why not Cr-Mo -
Racing vehicles, drag cars etc are built around a tube frame to begin with, so the cage is a fully supported structural element. There is no inherent weak link in these designs and they are designed to provide protection in incredibly nasty high-speed wrecks.

JKs are very different. The cage doesn't tie into the frame (become structural) unless you do some serious cutting and fab. So when you add to the factory cage, you're strengthening it but also really just moving the weakest point somewhere else in the cage. It's never going to be a fully integrated structural component. Also, you're likely to roll slowly, and a few rotations at best, when wheeling. What you need is more protection, not the ultimate protection like race cars. What I'm saying is that a full CrMo cage attached to the JK factory cage is overkill for our needs....and weighs too much.

-Milton Friedman
post #8 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Granite Guru

7075 is generally considered to be unweldable, so I don't know if there'd be any practical way to make a roll cage out of it unless it was bolted together.
post #9 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lank View Post
7075 is generally considered to be unweldable, so I don't know if there'd be any practical way to make a roll cage out of it unless it was bolted together.
x2 And even then any flanges would have to be machined into/out which would be $$$$$$.

Also, aluminum is more likely to fracture when it fails. Not what you want in a cage.
post #10 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Wheeler

Badger, received and relayed!
post #11 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Granite Guru

There's no way to bend 7075 in roll cage radius..besides weld it together..also you would need a very very expensive die to do this with 6061....
post #12 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Chromoly would be a much more practical material.

I can't think of any motorsport that uses aluminum driver cell structures. To me, that 7075 can probably take a hit...but the 2nd...3rd...4th, may be a different story.

Sorry, but I think you'll be very alone on this debate. CrMo is what you actually want.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Might be true that the logistics are too much. Really, 6061 would be plenty. But I still think it's a great idea. I don't care about fracturing, as the goal is not to roll in the first place, and if the cage does its job only once the cost to replace it is cheap insurance to me. And I don't think the race care comparisons are relevant, since spilling while crawling a ledge is nothing like bouncing off of asphalt or a wall at a buck-twenty. They are just very different applications. I may be hare-brained about it, but apparently also hare-brained enough to stubbornly think it's a great idea.

-Milton Friedman
post #14 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenRight Tom View Post
Badger, received and relayed!
Schweet

-Milton Friedman
post #15 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Rock God

Technically you can't bend aluminum and keep the same strength characteristics it had before hand especially 7075. Like others have said it is also very difficult to weld. The best case scenario with an aluminum cage would be to use straight pieces and machine all the junctions.

Your best bet would be Cr-Mo.

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #16 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Might be true that the logistics are too much. Really, 6061 would be plenty. But I still think it's a great idea. I don't care about fracturing, as the goal is not to roll in the first place, and if the cage does its job only once the cost to replace it is cheap insurance...
To me fracture equals impailment. I think I'd rather be crushed...

Seriously how much does a steel cage weigh? We have either a cloth or plastic roof, there should a little room there for lcog without making it top heavy.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #17 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Wheeler

Here is the President of GR's input on pursuing an aluminum cage (from Tony Pellegrino directly). Bottom line is that an aluminum cage wouldn't be an option from GR.

Although aluminum has been made for dune buggy frames, from a GenRight perspective this is not the area to sacrifice strength for weight. With this in mind, the new 2" roll cage going into the "Terremoto" build is steel and only weighs 260lbs.

Additional feedback for the aluminum cage is that the 6061 grade would require a lot of special handling for fabrication in order to maintain the strength characteristics which would make the cost significantly higher than a steel cage. As far as the 7075 aluminum, it can't be bent or welded and still maintain the integrity of the material.
post #18 of 50 Old 09-22-2013, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Yeah as cool as the aluminum cage sounds, it just doesn't make any sense from any standpoint other than weight. Utilizing the cage as a disposable item also seems sort of pointless too so why bother.

Hopefully the new GR cage going into the "Terremoto" build will prove to be another alternative and maybe even a better option than some of the others out there since it's going into a custom one off build. One thing I have been personally struggling with in most of the designs is the encroachment into the driver and passenger space when going with a bolt-in type sport cage. I'm sure many have the same feeling that I do but you simply don't have a lot of options unless you really want to tear into the dash and custom fit everything which I keep leaning toward...

With any luck GR will have something very nice for us to look at real soon!

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #19 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Damn, you guys have crushed my dreams. Oh well. I suppose just a few strategically placed steel reinforcements to the factory cage are probably good enough though not ideal. I have to admit the bit about the Terremoto cage being 'only' 260 lbs made me chuckle a bit. The 3.6 is definitely more motor than the 3.8, but I once removed 320 lbs of Hard Rock bumpers from my old 3.8 2-dr.....that alone made it feel like an entirely different vehicle and transformed the personality of the rig on and off road. That's why I'm such a bitch about weight.

At any rate I appreciate the feedback from everyone, and thanks for playing.

-Milton Friedman
post #20 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Here Lies Badger
He's dead
but his rig was light
Godspeed Badger

08 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon: lift, wheels/tires, bumpers, skids, sliders, winch, lights, cb. All the normal stuff, plus some.......
Build thread:

post #21 of 50 Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM
JKO Addict!

RIPP

Originally Posted by van7559
I can bury my pinky in the rear, and just barley feel it, the front is a little easier, but still seems low to me!

I fist fuck life with a nuclear powered pneumatic fuck hammer for 60, 70 hrs a week...
post #22 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Tough crowd....of course, that's why I'm here.

-Milton Friedman
post #23 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I don't care about fracturing, as the goal is not to roll in the first place

Windows aren't meant to be broke either, but safety glass was invented for a reason.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #24 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 06:17 AM
JKO Addict!

CARBON FIBER ROLL CAGE.
Haha. Silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #25 of 50 Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
CARBON FIBER ROLL CAGE.
Haha. Silly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode