Fake or knockoff bumpers - Why? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Fake or knockoff bumpers - Why?

Ok, so there seem to be about 3 different companies selling replica Smittbilt XRC bumpers. But they are selling for less than $100 difference from the real ones.

So what's the draw to these? I could understand if there was a big price difference, but for so small amount, having a company behind it might make sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Rock God

chinese crap in a different chinese crappy box. most things with smittybilt name on it is also made with other names on them for different price points. at least go with smittybilt so you can call 4WP and tell them how much it sucks when you have any fitment issues or quality issues

'12 JKU, 3.5", D44 front swap w/ OX & 5.13s. CMM & Rimz One Built.
Sponsored by Rigid Industries & Method Race Wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Granite Guru

I have never seen a knock off smittybuilt bumper in person. Seems strange they would replicate a part like that though. It is probably the same thing. It would be like replicating a JC Penny suit instead of a Gucci suit.

I don't know. That is pretty much what I see around here in Dallas. Procomp lifted Jeeps wrapped in Smittybuilt. Seems to make them happy. Maybe they have gotten better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Granite Guru

have heard those are products that failed Smittybilt QC....think about that one for a minute
post #5 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
have heard those are products that failed Smittybilt QC....think about that one for a minute
That makes perfect sense.

post #6 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 01:49 AM
Granite Guru

I would not get replica accessories for my rig beacuse I'm not sure about the quality of those and probably they have poor warranty.
post #7 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 AM
Rock God

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/65...r_snorkel.html

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #8 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH9JK View Post
So, does that mean the bolt holes line-up the first time?

I'm a JKO Reject
post #9 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 11:28 AM
Rock God

Probably saw it on extreme 4x4. Those guys just wrapped a Jeep in all things shitty bilt.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2010 2 door manual sport
post #10 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Keep hatin' on Smitty if you want, but my bumpers/tire carrier, winch and compressor all work great. Everything lined up and bolted on fine. I did it all myself with a floor jack and no help. No rust after wheeling on the beach in the woods and DD'ing for almost a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #11 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 01:18 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwaveaz View Post
I don't know. That is pretty much what I see around here in Dallas. Procomp lifted Jeeps wrapped in Smittybuilt. Seems to make them happy. Maybe they have gotten better.

Probably dudes who havnt been around the Jeep community long enough to know whats good for them.

2008 JKUR- 3 Inch Synergy Stage III Lift, PR44, 1310 Shafts, RROR Skids, 37" MTR's, Warn 9.5Ti, Bumpers, Sliders, OBA, Lights... bla bla bla
post #12 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 01:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post
I haven't looked at alibaba.com in years, but quick search pullsup a ton of jeep accessory stuff. I was pretty suprised how large the this outlet has become.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #13 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 02:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Funny. My XRC rear lined up fine, too, when I put it on with the help of my (then) 8 year old. Then, 4 years later when I removed it to sell to a forum member it lined up just fine on his, too.

I realize Smittybilt ain't the top of the line stuff, but for the price, it ain't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #14 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Naw they just ship smaller hardware

post #15 of 60 Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 PM

Wow my first post, I can tell u most companies make their stuff overseas, if its an affordable price for us who are on a small budget, chances are its made in china, example body armor, smittybilt, and some random other brands all buy the same roof rack from china, they all just slap their name on it, I know I bought it. And so far a year later its still in pretty good shape on my jku. The real issue iis that American made products are just too expensive. Wether its production overhead too high or just greed, I'd buy all my stuff American made if i could, it would mean i would be better off financially, lol
post #16 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 03:16 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Seconds View Post
Ok, so there seem to be about 3 different companies selling replica Smittbilt XRC bumpers. But they are selling for less than $100 difference from the real ones.

So what's the draw to these? I could understand if there was a big price difference, but for so small amount, having a company behind it might make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppSt59Dave View Post
chinese crap in a different chinese crappy box. most things with smittybilt name on it is also made with other names on them for different price points. at least go with smittybilt so you can call 4WP and tell them how much it sucks when you have any fitment issues or quality issues
^ This right here. You couldn't pay me to put a Shittybilt bumper on my Jeep. I'd trust the factory bumper over a Shittybilt bumper.

The only thing I like about Shittybilt products is that some of them look good, but I know under that "disguise" lies a typical, made in China, piece of shit.

- Dan

1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #17 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM
Rock God

If your going to buy a shoddy slave labor built product, you may as well purchase the cheapest one you can find. I try to look for used American or I make my own. I do have the Smitty winch plate (Lots of reaming and prying to get it to work) but that will be replaced once I build a front bumper.
post #18 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
If your going to buy a shoddy slave labor built product, you may as well purchase the cheapest one you can find. I try to look for used American or I make my own. I do have the Smitty winch plate (Lots of reaming and prying to get it to work) but that will be replaced once I build a front bumper.
Post of the day.

- Dan

post #19 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Wheeler

I have a Westin front bumper and Smitty winch plate and tire carrier. I've had absolutely ZERO issues with any of them. Some people just have more money than brains. IMO unless you have real-world experience with a company or product STFU about it. Nobody wants to hear your damned theories.
post #20 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 08:50 AM
Rock God

Garage

Not defending smitty. I don't own any, but everyone here, where was your phone made?
Unless its a blackberry, that'll be china.
Pot, kettle, black.

sent from my difference engine.

Unspoilt by progress.

Last edited by gnarlyswine; 09-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.
post #21 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy O'Shea View Post
I have a Westin front bumper and Smitty winch plate and tire carrier. I've had absolutely ZERO issues with any of them. Some people just have more money than brains. IMO unless you have real-world experience with a company or product STFU about it. Nobody wants to hear your damned theories.
Same goes for you. If you have not owned a quality Jeep Jk bumper STFU. You have nothing to base your opinion on. I started with smittybuilt, and it sucks.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3
post #22 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

I currently have an lod rear and an orfab front. Both US made.
My phone is currently Chinese though so I dont preach what I dont practice.

sent from my difference engine.

Unspoilt by progress.
post #23 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Thanks for illustrating my point so well shochwaveaz. Slagging of chinese made products on your chinese made phone. Practice what you preach dude, or are you saying "do as I say, not as I do", or gonna trot out non-excuse about limited choice.

Sorry for singling your post out but like I said, this thread and others like it reak of hypocrisy.

Unspoilt by progress.
post #24 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlyswine View Post
Thanks for illustrating my point so well shochwaveaz. Slagging of chinese made products on your chinese made phone. Practice what you preach dude, or are you saying "do as I say, not as I do", or gonna trot out non-excuse about limited choice.

Sorry for singling your post out but like I said, this thread and others like it reak of hypocrisy.
My bumper is made in the United States with steel from the United States, and hardware from the United States.

My phone was assembled in Chine with a processor from the United States, glass from the Unites States, and several other components from the United States. Even in the phone and electronics markets you can look at where the components come from and still support the United States.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #25 of 60 Old 09-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy O'Shea View Post
Talk back when you actually own a QUALITY bumper and winch plate. That's great you've had good luck with your Westin and SHITTYbilt products, you must be the only guy who's bought them and had ZERO issues with them. No worries, though, you'll be back here with a sore vajayjay crying about what shit you spent your money on within the next six months.

Quote:
Same goes for you. If you have not owned a quality Jeep Jk bumper STFU. You have nothing to base your opinion on. I started with smittybuilt, and it sucks.

Exactly. You get what you pay for. I'd rather spend $1,000 on ONE bumper that's QUALITY MADE in the USA than $1,000 on THREE shit bumpers made in China. I guess he doesn't realize products made in the USA have to meet HIGHER standards than his "quality" Shittybilt parts. The ONLY positive thing I can say about Shittybilt parts is that some of them LOOK pretty nice, but that's really no different than saying some chick looks hot, but has crabs.

As for phones and computers made in China, we have no other options, save for Blackberry, who have just lost $956m within this last quarter. Blackberry have never sold anything that grabs my attention, so I'm unfamiliar with their offerings. For most, that seems to be the case.

Those of us who haven't gone the "Blackberry route" are stuck with China-made products, but I'd be very surprised if given the opportunity or available resources to purchase a phone made in America, they would. I'd love to find a phone made in the USA, as well as a computer, and within the next year or so, that's going to be possible, as Apple's next two computers will be manufactured IN THE USA.

Well, until these things happen, I'll be stuck with shitty, made in China, MacBook Pro. The day Apple drops that MADE IN USA computer on the market, the MacBook will be in the garbage.

- Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode