Hot Oil Warning - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-18-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Hot Oil Warning

Purchased 2009 4 door Jk. On several ocassions while driving on the beach in 4 wheel drive "hot oil " would display. Brough jeep to service center. Mechanic says he ran diagnostic test and everything looks fine. Has this happened to any of you guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefel22 View Post
Purchased 2009 4 door Jk. On several ocassions while driving on the beach in 4 wheel drive "hot oil " would display. Brough jeep to service center. Mechanic says he ran diagnostic test and everything looks fine. Has this happened to any of you guys
that hot oil light is for your auto trans fluid, were you in 4hi? you could try 4 low it will run cooler, a lot of us with auto trans have added another transmission cooler.

edit: in 4low your esp is automatically off, in 4hi unless you shut it off you were causing even more slippage heating the trans up more

Last edited by tkob1060; 07-18-2009 at 08:28 PM.
post #3 of 20 Old 07-18-2009, 08:25 PM
JKO Addict!

You should not be using 4-high in the sand or most shifty surfaces. If you are using 4-high, that's your problem. Use 4-low. This is a pretty common thing on the boards, many people cook their autos up for leaving it in 4-high. Just my 2cents!

It's hard for you to walk in the sand, the 4500lb Jeep would much rather use the gear reduction to it's advantage.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-18-2009, 09:04 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
You should not be using 4-high in the sand or most shifty surfaces. If you are using 4-high, that's your problem. Use 4-low. This is a pretty common thing on the boards, many people cook their autos up for leaving it in 4-high. Just my 2cents!

It's hard for you to walk in the sand, the 4500lb Jeep would much rather use the gear reduction to it's advantage.
Amen, brother!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #5 of 20 Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 PM
Wheeler

So what's the deal when you get the hot oil warning and you're not in 4wd?

I wish my grass was EMO, then it would cut itself.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-19-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks Guys i was in 4 Wheel high, but will not be any longer , from now on its 4 wheel low for me , You would think that the service guys at jeep would have known this Oh well Glad I found this site
post #7 of 20 Old 07-19-2009, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockindoc View Post
So what's the deal when you get the hot oil warning and you're not in 4wd?
Then you're probably hauling something, steep grades, extremely hot out, too tall of tires for the gearing in the axles, etc. Possible regear, or add a aux trans cooler.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-19-2009, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Not hauling anything except a few friends , Gonna try 4 wheel low in an hour. Hopefully thats the ticket. Can anyone advice the cost of an aux tranny cooler installed
post #9 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 12:41 PM

hot oil warning

I was on the beach and also got this warning, I called the dealership, who was no help, however he did tell me is was probably the transmission not getting enough air to cool it off. After a lengthy discussion all he could tell me was to drive faster.....I have owned jeeps for 13 years and driven all of them (4) on the sand in 4 wheel drive high (packed sand) and never had any problems. I will try the 4 wheel low (seems silly) I don't think I even needed 4 wd at all it was that packed, but this is to small a motor for this vehicle which is probably most of the problem. I was wondering if the dealership installed the coolers at no charge (seems it should be there problem not mine)?
post #10 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Moroney View Post
but this is to small a motor for this vehicle which is probably most of the problem. I was wondering if the dealership installed the coolers at no charge (seems it should be there problem not mine)?
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck. The problem should be theirs but they'll never install a cooler for free, no one I've ever seen has gotten one. There are some write ups on here for an install. It greatly helps the tranny run cooler, mine runs about 40-50degrees cooler now. I've also tried it in 4hi vs 4low and it runs anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler in 4low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #11 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck. The problem should be theirs but they'll never install a cooler for free, no one I've ever seen has gotten one. There are some write ups on here for an install. It greatly helps the tranny run cooler, mine runs about 40-50degrees cooler now. I've also tried it in 4hi vs 4low and it runs anywhere from 10-20 degrees cooler in 4low
Since I had to pay top dollar for my jeep, It took almost a week for them to find a hardtop with a tow package and they couldn't find one with a standard shift at all. No discount other than $1,500 rebate, but I wanted it. I am going to try to get the dealership to install one. I can raise a little bit of a ruckus anyway. Anything we can do for the transmission? I know they are not going to help with that. I bought this vehicle to go on the beach, as with the ones before. I have always enjoyed them and now I feel like I got cheated.
post #12 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Wheeler

Wondering if this is somehow connected to the report of auto trans fires in the JK

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32451785/ns/business-autos/
post #13 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Moroney View Post
Since I had to pay top dollar for my jeep, It took almost a week for them to find a hardtop with a tow package and they couldn't find one with a standard shift at all. No discount other than $1,500 rebate, but I wanted it. I am going to try to get the dealership to install one. I can raise a little bit of a ruckus anyway. Anything we can do for the transmission? I know they are not going to help with that. I bought this vehicle to go on the beach, as with the ones before. I have always enjoyed them and now I feel like I got cheated.
Just so we are clear that Hot "Oil" light is for your transmission fluid not the engine oil. 4low will probably solve your issue but if you add a tranny cooler you will be 100% good even in 4hi. I would try 4low first. you have an X or sahara right? Installing the cooler airs on the side of caution

here are couple write ups on coolers guys have installed, I have the same as Phil D
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2458

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2322

Good luck with getting the dealer to add it though.

Quote:

Last edited by tkob1060; 08-24-2009 at 04:35 PM.
post #14 of 20 Old 08-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Rock God

Well I am shockedÖ I have spent 2 summers in phoenix driving mostly in dry river washes in 4 high and never had this problem. I must have been lucky, but then I do drive too fast after a few beers so maybe Ö just maybe drinking and driving saved my jeep! Yeah thatís my story and I am sticking to it
post #15 of 20 Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefel22 View Post
Thanks Guys i was in 4 Wheel high, but will not be any longer , from now on its 4 wheel low for me , You would think that the service guys at jeep would have known this Oh well Glad I found this site
Most service guys at Jeep don't know their head from a hole in the ground...

post #16 of 20 Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
Well I am shockedÖ I have spent 2 summers in phoenix driving mostly in dry river washes in 4 high and never had this problem. I must have been lucky, but then I do drive too fast after a few beers so maybe Ö just maybe drinking and driving saved my jeep! Yeah thatís my story and I am sticking to it
Yeah, but our AZ sand is not the same as driving for long periods of time in soft beach sand. We usually just have very short stretches of sand.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #17 of 20 Old 08-25-2009, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
actually its just the cooling system for the motor and the trans are just barely adequate for the JK, they both suck.

My JK, running around in the heat in 4-lo across boulders and in stop and go traffic, the electric fan never even turns on. The only time it has ever come on is if I'm running it in hot conditions, shut it off for just a minute, and start it back up (when its all heat-soaked). Then it runs for about 30 seconds and shuts back off for good. Frankly, my JK's cooling system kicks arse!

Then again, it is a 2-dr manual....but even so, loaded up with armor and bumpers and winches and humans....it's pretty dang heavy....
post #18 of 20 Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Just so we are clear that Hot "Oil" light is for your transmission fluid not the engine oil. 4low will probably solve your issue but if you add a tranny cooler you will be 100% good even in 4hi. I would try 4low first. you have an X or sahara right? Installing the cooler airs on the side of caution

here are couple write ups on coolers guys have installed, I have the same as Phil D
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2458

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2322

Good luck with getting the dealer to add it though.
Thanks, I will install it one way or another, I drive out on the beach all of the time and usually it is in soft sand so I am sure that will be worse. I don't want to have to stop and let it cool off every couple of miles, kinda ruins the whole "jeep" experience. Did Chrysler kill the jeep? Like I said I have driven them for years and this is the 1st time I have had any issues? I hate the thought of buying a 4 runner, so I hope this works.
post #19 of 20 Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Granite Guru

Just curious

I know this is a little off the topic but if I install a tranny cooler on my 07 Rubicon is it possible to run the tranny fluid too cold? I live in Michigan and my Jeep is my daily driver. Some mornings last winter we had 10 to 15 degrees below zero. I do have an insulated garage though so I doubt first starting out that things would be all that cold. Any thoughts?

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything that you have." - Thomas Jefferson
post #20 of 20 Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy2x View Post
I know this is a little off the topic but if I install a tranny cooler on my 07 Rubicon is it possible to run the tranny fluid too cold? I live in Michigan and my Jeep is my daily driver. Some mornings last winter we had 10 to 15 degrees below zero. I do have an insulated garage though so I doubt first starting out that things would be all that cold. Any thoughts?
I've seen guys from Canada who installed them and said they had no problems. The torque converter locks up at 88degrees for shifting.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode