Two People Who Have No Business Owning A JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Two People Who Have No Business Owning A JK

So yesterday I'm coming out of a store and I had a large item in my cart so this man in front of me holds the door on the way. Here in the south we just have good manners like that. Anyway, he heads out across the parking lot and low and behold he stops at a brand new red JK 2 door. I asked him if it was an 08 or an 09. He told me that it was an 09, his wife's Jeep and that he hated it; didn't like how it rode and so forth. He just had it for the day from his wife because he had to take it and have the oil changed. He said "I want my big SUV back." I **** you not.

I'm thinking "Wow, both of you are losers." Mister fancy pants that can't wait to get back in his big soft sprung Tahoe or whatever that probably couldn't make it across his front lawn without getting stuck and his wife who is supposed to be a Jeep owner but neither she nor her sissyfied husband will change the oil themselves. LOL I bet the little stick on the left side of her center console never drops below 2WD. What a waste of a perfectly good Jeep.

Last edited by OneCav; 07-18-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Rock God

What is going on here.....First I see a JK in wall paper in the scrapbook forum and now this story about lame stupid people. Should have told him to go wheeling with you, that will change his mind.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #3 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Rock God

I've replaced the front axle, drive shafts, transfer case, bumpers, springs and on and on by myself, but I've never changed the oil myself either. Hate having to deal with old oil I've changed out.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

Oil change by (now closed) dealer = every 3k miles.

Oil change by my lazy a s s = 1500 miles OVERDUE !!!

But I do lube and change my diff fluids myself... but for <$25 they can change oil everytime.

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 06:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will never go back to changing my own oil.I've been doing that starting with my dad's car back in the 50's thru the most of my life.I have lifetime oil changes at my jeep dealer,so I let them do it.No muss,no fuss

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #6 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 06:57 PM
Rock God

I got the oil change package with my JK. 09 JK and 06 Mustang I just let the dealer do it.

71 Maverick and 06 Buell I do it.

I just hAte dealing with the mess.

I've done lots of mods myself on the Mustang including a rear axle and DS swap and I also installed a supercharger myself. I installed my JK lift and will be installing an E-disco next week.

Just not worth it messing with the oil change though.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #7 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneCav View Post
So yesterday I'm coming out of a store and I had a large item in my cart so this man in front of me holds the door on the way. Here in the south we just have good manners like that. Anyway, he heads out across the parking lot and low and behold he stops at a brand new red JK 2 door. I asked him if it was an 08 or an 09. He told me that it was an 09, his wife's Jeep and that he hated it; didn't like how it rode and so forth. He just had it for the day from his wife because he had to take it and have the oil changed. He said "I want my big SUV back." I **** you not.

I'm thinking "Wow, both of you are losers." Mister fancy pants that can't wait to get back in his big soft sprung Tahoe or whatever that probably couldn't make it across his front lawn without getting stuck and his wife who is supposed to be a Jeep owner but neither she nor her sissyfied husband will change the oil themselves. LOL I bet the little stick on the left side of her center console never drops below 2WD. What a waste of a perfectly good Jeep.
what'd you expect of people around here?? I'm surprised it wasn't a Rubicon, all the yuppies buy them because they're the most expensive and thats ALL they know about it.

My jeep is green so you can't see it

"shut the f* up alright? That's the name of my new book, shut the F* up by Dr. Dennis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy. I'm gonna have my patients come in, 'Dr?', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'I don't feel so...', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'He made me feel so much better about myself, you know, he just told me to shut the F* up and nobody had ever told me that before, I feel so much better now!" Dennis Leary
post #8 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Now I see why owners of older Jeeps won't wave to JK owners.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #9 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
Now I see why owners of older Jeeps won't wave to JK owners.
I thought it was because they are upset that they have to spend thousands of $$$ on mods just to get a rig as offroad capable as a base JK straight off the lot ???

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #10 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Rock God

I think I would have cut his tires for that.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #11 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
I've replaced the front axle, drive shafts, transfer case, bumpers, springs and on and on by myself, but I've never changed the oil myself either. Hate having to deal with old oil I've changed out.
no autozone or kragens where you live? Dont know about where you are at but they have to take used oil in Cali .I just use a 5 gallon bucket w/lid and take it in when full... "no muss, no fuss"

I hate taking any of my cars to the stealerships for anything...
post #12 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 09:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdjeep View Post
what'd you expect of people around here?? I'm surprised it wasn't a Rubicon, all the yuppies buy them because they're the most expensive and thats ALL they know about it.
Yes I'm a 21 year old Yuppie that bought my Rubicon 2 months ago and have wheeled it every weekend

Don't hate the Rubi owners

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #13 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yes I'm a 21 year old Yuppie that bought my Rubicon 2 months ago and have wheeled it every weekend

Don't hate the Rubi owners
You don't get it. You actually wheel your Rubicon. People round here we refer to as "yuppies" are the mall crawlers, sippin starbucks, yackin on the cell phone, wondering why their Jeep's tires are so loud...

I ain't hatin on any Jeep owner that uses it for its intent. Four Wheel Drive!

What do you call a yuppie?

My jeep is green so you can't see it

"shut the f* up alright? That's the name of my new book, shut the F* up by Dr. Dennis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy. I'm gonna have my patients come in, 'Dr?', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'I don't feel so...', SHUT THE F* UP, NEXT. 'He made me feel so much better about myself, you know, he just told me to shut the F* up and nobody had ever told me that before, I feel so much better now!" Dennis Leary
post #14 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 09:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Just givin ya a hard time! No worries!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #15 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

I went back to changing my own oil after finding MANY problems even with service providers I thought I could trust. Yes it's messy, but I love what it does for my hair and manicure.

There are LOTS of Jeeps around here, and I have gotten lazy to the point of only waving at pre-JK's or JK's with obvious mods or dirt. By the nature of our location, mall crawlers don't exist.

I do get a lot of Jeep School clients who say "I had no idea this car could do that!" Well, duh, that's because it's not a car. My reaction to that guy would be to hand him my card and tell him "Yeah, they suck on pavement--let me show you what it's supposed to be used for."

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #16 of 89 Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdjeep View Post
We have the same around here. I was in a store parking lot and was talking to a guy with a Rubicon, he said he would never take it off road. I asked him why he bought it, why not get the X or Sahara... he said he always buys the high end of what ever he buys

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #17 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM
Rock God

dont be hatein. The one good thing about the yuppies buying the jk's, rubi or otherwise is that if a few of them ever do take it off road and experience the joy we have in ours, well then we have a convert. Once we have a convert then we have another voice out there in the fight to keep open offroad parks and stuff like that. And for the people who have bought them and never learn the joys of offroading, they will eventually sell it to someone who wants a rubi but couldnt afford a new one and blamo, good deal right. Always look for the good side of everything.
post #18 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to jnr0104

I think it's great they buy the top end.Cause when they get tired of em in a few months ,I can buy it used and save lots of bucks.

"Right Wing Extremist" as defined by DHS (dept homeland security)
post #19 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 10:31 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
I think it's great they buy the top end.Cause when they get tired of em in a few months ,I can buy it used and save lots of bucks.
x2!

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #20 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Rock God

Quote:
good point!

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #21 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 11:58 AM

Ooh! Where do I start?

When I was in high school, I think I worried way too much about what others thought about how to dress, where to go, who to hang out with. I paid far too much attention to what others said was "cool". Now 54, I have learned over the years that what matters is what YOU do and care about, not what the other guy does or cares about. I care about my image for the sake of my own reputation, my family, and my job. Peer pressure is everywhere and doesn't seem to stop with any age or group, but you don't have to be part of it. You don't have to take it, and you don't have to be the one dishing it out.

Owning a jeep wrangler, to me, means following whatever path I choose. I don't see it as a yuppie car, and maybe those who do are the ones most unhappy with it, probably because they had no prior experience driving jeeps. Maybe the husband who hates the jeep he's driving bought it for the wife who loves them. Hurray for him and her! He bought her a jeep? I love him for it! My husband did. And don't start judging whether she put any income into it. Most do--even when it's the guy's jeep--and all those mods to come later.

I LOVE my jeep. I respect other jeepers--on road, off road, mods, no mods, square lights, LJs, soft top, hard top, and okay, even those into chrome. I will say it again, I don't owe anyone any excuses for why I should be "allowed" to have it. It's mine, and I work hard for it. Merit badges are for scouts. I don't see any mud slinging or rock climbing badges on anyone else's jeep. Guess what, I don't drive around checking to see what other jeepers eat, drink, wear, or where they are headed. Anyone who does should have a pair of JK stickers from that other forum on their jeep. (And yes, I'll wave at them, too. We both love jeeps, just not the same forum, right?)

Do I wave? Yes, even if they look young enough for mommy or daddy to have bought their jeep. Lucky them. Do they all wave back? No, but not my problem. I think if I worried about what others thought I should do with a jeep, I'd be driving a BMW instead.

This is the JK Owner's forum, right? I may need to check my bookmark, again. I could get banned here if I'm not careful about what I say. Or where I drive or don't drive.

Respect the jeep. Respect the driver. For the most part, we do have something in common--we love jeeps. Maybe you just wished you had a shot at that jeep and thought of all the stuff you would have done with it. Some people are tired of jeep owners who whine about what they don't like about jeeps. I'm really tired of hearing people whine about who deserves their jeep. Kiss my bumper. Stock, by the way.

My current jeep/4th jeep/final jeep: '09 JK 4 door automatic hard top black Rubicon

Last edited by ssbeagle; 07-19-2009 at 12:06 PM.
post #22 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbeagle View Post
Ooh! Where do I start?

When I was in high school, I think I worried way too much about what others thought about how to dress, where to go, who to hang out with. I paid far too much attention to what others said was "cool". Now 54, I have learned over the years that what matters is what YOU do and care about, not what the other guy does or cares about. I care about my image for the sake of my own reputation, my family, and my job. Peer pressure is everywhere and doesn't seem to stop with any age or group, but you don't have to be part of it. You don't have to take it, and you don't have to be the one dishing it out.

Owning a jeep wrangler, to me, means following whatever path I choose. I don't see it as a yuppie car, and maybe those who do are the ones most unhappy with it, probably because they had no prior experience driving jeeps. Maybe the husband who hates the jeep he's driving bought it for the wife who loves them. Hurray for him and her! He bought her a jeep? I love him for it! My husband did. And don't start judging whether she put any income into it. Most do--even when it's the guy's jeep--and all those mods to come later.

I LOVE my jeep. I respect other jeepers--on road, off road, mods, no mods, square lights, LJs, soft top, hard top, and okay, even those into chrome. I will say it again, I don't owe anyone any excuses for why I should be "allowed" to have it. It's mine, and I work hard for it. Merit badges are for scouts. I don't see any mud slinging or rock climbing badges on anyone else's jeep. Guess what, I don't drive around checking to see what other jeepers eat, drink, wear, or where they are headed. Anyone who does should have a pair of JK stickers from that other forum on their jeep. (And yes, I'll wave at them, too. We both love jeeps, just not the same forum, right?)

Do I wave? Yes, even if they look young enough for mommy or daddy to have bought their jeep. Lucky them. Do they all wave back? No, but not my problem. I think if I worried about what others thought I should do with a jeep, I'd be driving a BMW instead.

This is the JK Owner's forum, right? I may need to check my bookmark, again. I could get banned here if I'm not careful about what I say. Or where I drive or don't drive.

Respect the jeep. Respect the driver. For the most part, we do have something in common--we love jeeps. Maybe you just wished you had a shot at that jeep and thought of all the stuff you would have done with it. Some people are tired of jeep owners who whine about what they don't like about jeeps. I'm really tired of hearing people whine about who deserves their jeep. Kiss my bumper. Stock, by the way.

My current jeep/4th jeep/final jeep: '09 JK 4 door automatic hard top black Rubicon
VERY WELL SAID
post #23 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Indeed, folks who don't wheel are the ones who keep clean used Jeeps coming to market, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm in north FL where nearly everybody has a pickup in the driveway and only big roads feature asphalt. Even here I think there are three "on-road only" Jeeps for every one that gets to play in the dirt. I expect in metro areas the ratio of truly driven Jeeps is even smaller. What I'm getting at is that if THEY didn't buy them, neither could WE. We need their $'s to keep the JK's moving off the lot and keep the product line active. Let 'em buy Rubi's and more power to them! The more that sell, the better chance that Fiat will invest R&D in further improving an already incredible product. Just my 2 cents, I'll shut up now.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #24 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
dont be hatein. The one good thing about the yuppies buying the jk's, rubi or otherwise is that if a few of them ever do take it off road and experience the joy we have in ours, well then we have a convert. Once we have a convert then we have another voice out there in the fight to keep open offroad parks and stuff like that. And for the people who have bought them and never learn the joys of offroading, they will eventually sell it to someone who wants a rubi but couldnt afford a new one and blamo, good deal right. Always look for the good side of everything.
I like this optimism...
post #25 of 89 Old 07-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. Just because someone doesnt change their own oil does not make them someone who shouldn't own a Jeep. I love my Jeep. I made it my own by adding steps, canoe rack, and light guards. In the future I plan on adding an off road bumper, winch, and better off road tires. I love the bumpy and lumpy ride of the jeep. I dont ever plan on changing the oil. Those who have never taken their Jeep off road may be the ones who shouldn't own a Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode