death wobble pt 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-18-2009, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

death wobble pt 2

Can't read posts off my phone so pm me with advice please tuffy said I need dual stablizer which didn't come with my kit:/

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs down dual stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp View Post
Can't read posts off my phone so pm me with advice please tuffy said I need dual stablizer which didn't come with my kit:/
The stabilizer is a band-aid. It just masks the real problem, it does not solve it! Start checking for all of the causes, alignment, loose steering or suspension components, tire wear. Fix the problem, don't cover it up.

You may need to look into adjustable control arms if you have a lift. That could have changed the caster angle to much.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2009, 11:16 PM
Rock God

Drag link.

I took my unlimited in just before warrenty ran out at 60,000km for a new front driveshaft and steering shock. The dealership also changed out the draglink end attatched to wheel end. It had some movement. I was just starting to get a little vibration in the front end and had the death wobble twice the week before off a couple of bumps around town. I had retorqued everything underneath two weeks prior after installing a full set of TF control arms so nothing was loose. The regular mechanic thats done warrenty work on my Jeep new what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
The stabilizer is a band-aid. It just masks the real problem, it does not solve it! Start checking for all of the causes, alignment, loose steering or suspension components, tire wear. Fix the problem, don't cover it up.
X2 It may take some work, but something is wrong, and it needs to be fixed.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 09:02 AM
TrailDuty.com

Don't know if you've done this already, but If you can borrow some wheels off another JK you'll at least be able to rule them out as a cause.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Granite Guru

I agree with Phil and jacktuttle... Something is wrong, or it could be a combination of a few little things. Once lifted, all the settings/conditions are just a little more critical. There is essentially less margin for error.

IE, your toe-in is 1/8" too far in, and you have one bolt on your upper control arm 2 revolutions too loose. Strange SLIGHT combinations like this can compound the forces and throw the axle into a DW.

But 9 times out of 10, ok maybe 8 out of 10, it is related to the track bar. I would retork, check for sloppy TRE's/balls, balance wheels, dial in your toe, caster...

Like mentioned above, caster is one of those things that compounds other variables easily. If your axle is too upright, it can make another slight problem bigger. You really are going to need to go through each individual spec, torque, alignment, setting, etc and make sure they are right on the money.

Another thing that further "dials in" your rig is the steering. If you are lifted, you already have steeper angles for you TB and DL... This in itself can be "one strike" against you that can be a mulitplier to another slight problem. Basically, dont necessarily look for ONE thing to be wrong, but make sure EVERY thing is perfect.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM
JKowners Vendor

Scottyp

We will follow up with you on the following thread.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11760

But, it would help to get your JK aligned!

Rock Krawler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode