Love my Jeep but... Disapointment setting in - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Love my Jeep but... Disapointment setting in

I am not trying to be hateful to ourbeloved Jeeps, but I am definitely a bit disillusioned with the performance of my JK. So far I have modified my Jeep with the standard stuff: 37's, 5.13 gears, axel sleeves, gussets, e-lockers, etcetera.

I love how it looks, but the more I drive it the more I'm frustrated with its lack of performance. Once the new starts to wear off and you can remove the rose colored glasses, the lack of motive power really starts slappping you in the face. Heck, I don't know how people daily drive one of these that actually have to be on a freeway in merge with moving traffic. And yes, I will admit it, my biggest frustrations are on road, not off. So far, I have been pleased with what it can do offroad - but then again, I'm not trying to make it to 30 mph off road either.

I never thought that I would be considering a engine swap in this new of a vehicle in this short of amount of time of ownership. I just don't see being able to enjoy it long term otherwise. All of those LS motor theards are starting to make a lot more sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Rock God

37s, 5:13s, sleeves and gussets aren't going to give u more performance. Have u tried a programmer? Have u looked into superchargers?

What did u drive before the jk?

I haven't owned very many "powerful" vehicles, but i like to drive my jk on the street. It isn't the power, or lack of, its more the presence it has. My jk is stock under the hood, buy i love to drive it on and off road. Maybe add exhaust? Give yourself a little more sound so u feel better about it?

I have a 08 jk , 205 hp beast and i love every one of them

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

CRAWLIN PERFORMANCE 602-552-6793
post #3 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 08:29 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

They def are not built for speed or performance, but thats what you get with the Wrangler ! and always have -

remember - You cant go fast..... but you can go anywhere !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Your screen name suggests you may have a history of drag racing. If so, there's your trouble.

Having said that, my JKU is set up much like yours -- 37s, 5.13s -- but I have no complaint about merging into traffic, etc. I didn't catch whether you have the 3.8 or the 3.6 though and I know that makes some difference, as does the tranny. My 3.6 auto is no speed demon, and my old 304 CJ7 would run circles around it, but again, I have no complaints with the performance. Maybe adjust your expectations?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Granite Guru

I know what you mean , they are dogs on road . and I have the old 3.8.That being said , I hardly drive mine on road . I have a company truck so I don't drive back and forth to work .I probably drive it mostly to go off road .But I do have a 1961 Willys wagon with a 550 h/p 383 stroker so that makes up for the lack of power in the JK !
post #6 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

??

I dunno I sold my sentra specv. No racecar but plenty fast. And cbr900rr. Racebike, damned plenty fast, and im not disappointed. I knew I wasnt buying a drag racer but I certainly dont get embarrassed at the lights. In fact id hoped a jeep would cure my lead foot but nope. Still cant keep the numbers low enough. Now im only 35s which is a little less handicap but im also still on stock 4.10s, which I have to say felt a bit short on the stock rubber. Even my wifes auto on 3.21 isnt too shabby.
Im guessing you are in an auto which may be part of the dissapointment, but the six speed hasnt bothered me. Man I even towed a trailer from ontario Canada to california and no problems on highway, passing merging etc.

Are you doin it wrong?are you in low range?

Unspoilt by progress.

Last edited by gnarlyswine; 09-17-2013 at 11:02 PM.
post #7 of 65 Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 PM
Granite Guru

Mine has the 3.8 and I love it. I live in mountain terrain and take regular trips from Whistler to Vancouver, an elevation difference of around 2000ft with a couple big climbs and lots of long steady uphills. I have also explored BC quite a bit, and have driven it down to California. When available, I generally travel in the left lane and have no issues over taking traffic. Sure, there are some passing situations where I could use a bit more power, but those are few and far between. There is also the odd real steep climb where it's a bit of a dog, but even on those I have no issues keeping up with traffic.
Besides, when it does turn into a dog and people pass me, they get to see how awesome my jeep is.

2011 JKU Rubi
2.5" RK Max Travel
35/12.5/17 Pro Comp MT
35/12.5 /17 Duratracs
Poison Spyder Evap Skid
Paramount front and rear bumpers
VKS Rocksliders
Fox 2.0 shocks
Recon 10,000lb Winch
Vision X Rock lights
Cobra 75
post #8 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 02:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Did you expect a heavy brick to go fast when you bought it in the first place?

'09 JKUR. Metal Cloak overlines, TF 3" LA, 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Home built winch bumper, custom built sliders, RK Drag Link and HD Pro Tie rod, Adams front shaft, TF Big Brakes, Speed Bumps, Warn M8000
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
post #9 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 03:42 AM
JKO Addict!

I don't think anyone expects them to be "fast" from the factory, but they are just marginally adequate for the application. 3.8L, 3.6L, whatever..neither have usable torque to me at low rpm.

I'm pretty much right where the OP is with my rig, I almost hate it because it's just so damn slow. Always has been, but for like he said, it's just became really apparent to me in the last 6mo or so.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #10 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 04:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I will just say a Jeep is not for everyone.....maby you are one of the "not for everyone"..
also not sure what about the Jeep made you think hey I bet that thing will smoke the tires.. after I put 37"s on it of corse
that is all

How I LEARNED TO STOP GIVING A SHIT AND LOVE MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE

Its time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Lets get it together, America.

Last edited by Blackout; 09-18-2013 at 04:14 AM.
post #11 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Rock God

RIPP supercharger and 5:38 gears.. gives it a nice kick

post #12 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 04:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
RIPP supercharger and 5:38 gears.. gives it a nice kick
I've considered it, not the powerband I'm looking for. Need low rpm, V8, torque!

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #13 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 05:02 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Seconds View Post
I am not trying to be hateful to ourbeloved Jeeps, but I am definitely a bit disillusioned with the performance of my JK. So far I have modified my Jeep with the standard stuff: 37's, 5.13 gears, axel sleeves, gussets, e-lockers, etcetera.

I love how it looks, but the more I drive it the more I'm frustrated with its lack of performance. Once the new starts to wear off and you can remove the rose colored glasses, the lack of motive power really starts slappping you in the face. Heck, I don't know how people daily drive one of these that actually have to be on a freeway in merge with moving traffic. And yes, I will admit it, my biggest frustrations are on road, not off. So far, I have been pleased with what it can do offroad - but then again, I'm not trying to make it to 30 mph off road either.

I never thought that I would be considering a engine swap in this new of a vehicle in this short of amount of time of ownership. I just don't see being able to enjoy it long term otherwise. All of those LS motor theards are starting to make a lot more sense.
I find it amusing how there are people out there talking about how quick their 3.6 Pentastar Wranglers are. I have a '12 Rubicon Unlimited with the manual transmission, so it even has the 4.10 gearing. This vehicle is dog SLOW. It has trouble passing a Toyota Prius, and in most cases, it's playing "catch-up" with that Prius.

What further amazes me is how I constantly read about how his/her JK (mainly two-door) is "nimble" and fast. That's some funny shit right there, because I drove a two-door, and yes, while the handling and maneuverability is superior to that of my Unlimited, they are nothing of the sort. The ride is bouncy, the handling is "floppy" and unresponsive, and they drive like the Titanic on roller-skates. Clearly, these people have never truly driven a quick vehicle or one that actually does handle.

Yep, I'm gonna say it. Jeep Wranglers SUCK, they really do, however, it's one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned, and I've owned some pretty fun vehicles. They suck to drive down tight, back roads, they suck to drive on bumpy pavement, they suck to drive at speeds over 55 mph, they suck to parallel park, and they suck to have to see behind you to back out of a parking space...

...but how many vehicles out there make you feel like you're going on an epic adventure every time you get behind the wheel, whether it's to the grocery store or to the beach...

This damned Jeep has no redeeming qualities from a driving perspective, but the Jeeping experience is a unique one. We deal with all this shit just for those few redeeming traits; the feeling of adventure, popping the lids or dropping the top for a drive under the stars, whether it's to get ice cream or to an off-road destination, driving through deep water, snow, mud, grass, what have you...

No regrets about owning my Jeep. It's the worst driving vehicle I've ever owned, yet it's also one of the most fun. It can be slow, handle like shit, and follow every rut in the pavement, because everything else about it is fucking fun.

- Dan

1994 Chevrolet B4C Camaro
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
post #14 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

You guys do have me there, drag racing is another hobby of mine. I didn't expect the Jeep to be a 10 second car or even a 17 second car but the guy who compared it to not being able to catch a Prius is dead on.

I am used to driving trucks as my daily ride and my Ford Super Duty, lifted with 38's while weighing much more can easily smoke a Prius.

I really do enjoy the Jeep and love crusing with the top off. I am used to lifted vehicles so the ride quality doesn't bother me a bit. But when I have the pedal to the floor and can barely keep up with electric scooters, that's a problem.

I don't plan on getting rid of it, but its going to have to get a v8 much quicker than I would have ever expected.

I have the 6-speed for those who asked.

Last edited by 10Seconds; 09-18-2013 at 05:30 AM.
post #15 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 05:29 AM
Granite Guru

I daily drive my 2011 JKUR back and forth to work. Freeway, mild hills, headwind, etc.
you know what? it SUCKS!
This thing is the original ball-less wonder. It's so heavy and slow (and big) that my wife cristened it "the tank", hence it's name: Stryker.

but I won't trade it for anything. It is THE most comfortable vehicle I've owned, and running at 70MPH without a top or doors makes up for all the aggravation it's lack of power causes. Plus, being able to go through just about anything weather-wise is also a lot of fun.

And I knew when I bought it that I will eventually be dropping an LS into it....once I can afford to. So I put up with the lack of power. When I get the urge to have neck-snapping accelleration, I ride my motorcycle.
If I REALLY need an accelleration 'fix', I'll have my friend scare the heck outta me with his STi.
post #16 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 06:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I've considered it, not the powerband I'm looking for. Need low rpm, V8, torque!
Roots blower

post #17 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 06:56 AM
It never ends...

Supercharger and don't go bigger than 37's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #18 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Roots blower
waiting to go for a ride in a local one to see how it is, but yes, that'd be the option. I really wish there was a inexpensive swap for a Magnum V8 somewhere...plenty of power, cheap, easy to setup [TBI] and probably the same mileage. I've got a 360 shortblock sitting here.

post #19 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Seconds View Post
You guys do have me there, drag racing is another hobby of mine. I didn't expect the Jeep to be a 10 second car or even a 17 second car but the guy who compared it to not being able to catch a Prius is dead on.

I am used to driving trucks as my daily ride and my Ford Super Duty, lifted with 38's while weighing much more can easily smoke a Prius.

I really do enjoy the Jeep and love crusing with the top off. I am used to lifted vehicles so the ride quality doesn't bother me a bit. But when I have the pedal to the floor and can barely keep up with electric scooters, that's a problem.

I don't plan on getting rid of it, but its going to have to get a v8 much quicker than I would have ever expected.

I have the 6-speed for those who asked.
I had someone tell me their '12 Unlimited Rubicon would do 0-60 in less than seven seconds and my engine was bad. I lol'd at that. There's no way in hell a '12 Unlimited is gonna do 0-60 in anywhere near seven seconds.

It doesn't matter how hard I mash the gas, how quick I shift, or how low I shift on hills, get a prolonged hill on a highway and it won't hold a speed. If I'm in sixth, shift diwn to fourth, and stomp it, I'm met with...nothing. It's almost like the transmission is slipping; the growl is there, but the revs climb very slowly. The only positive I can say about the acceleration, or lack of, is that it's taught me to be a very patient driver.

- Dan

post #20 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con Artist View Post
I had someone tell me their '12 Unlimited Rubicon would do 0-60 in less than seven seconds and my engine was bad. I lol'd at that. There's no way in hell a '12 Unlimited is gonna do 0-60 in anywhere near seven seconds.

It doesn't matter how hard I mash the gas, how quick I shift, or how low I shift on hills, get a prolonged hill on a highway and it won't hold a speed. If I'm in sixth, shift diwn to fourth, and stomp it, I'm met with...nothing. It's almost like the transmission is slipping; the growl is there, but the revs climb very slowly. The only positive I can say about the acceleration, or lack of, is that it's taught me to be a very patient driver.

You don't have one that does it? You must have bought one of the bad ones.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #21 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
You don't have one that does it? You must have bought one of the bad ones.
Maybe it was you...

- Dan

post #22 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 09:13 AM
Rock God

I think the answer is getting a second vehicle so you can have the best of both worlds.

post #23 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Rock God

I have 40's, 5.38's, and a bunch of extra weight and I really don't have a huge issue with how fast it gets up and moves. I do have an issue with not being able to hold overdrive at 70mph though. But then I remember it's a 6000 pound brick with 40" tires.

One thing that does help me when slowly merging onto the highway is remembering that the entire perimeter of my Jeep is either rubber, bumper, or armor.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
post #24 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Rock God

I have a Mustang for going Fast and a Jeep for Jeeping. I would never expect my Jeep to go fast or my Mustang to rock climb.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #25 of 65 Old 09-18-2013, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Must be the 37's??? I'm a JK 4.10 with stock 32's. Frankly it's peppy as hell. Climbs with torque and horses to spare. My perspective.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode