My ESP tried to kill me this morning... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

My ESP tried to kill me this morning...

Let me start with yes I did search the forum and have been reading all day on various forums and this sounds like it has happened to many...

So I was driving down a straight, dry, road about a mile from the house and all of a sudden my traction control light started to blink rapidly and the Jeep was braking by itself and tried to force me into on coming traffic. Scared me because I had no control. I oulled off the road as soon as I could, turned the Jeep back on and no problem since. Now after reading all day it sounds like this will happen again. Nothing changed from driving yesterday to today. Didn't hit anything. Steering wheel is straight.

My question is when I take it to the stealership this weekend what should I have them check or repair to keep this from happening again?

Should I just pull the fuse J6 until I take it in Saturday so it doesn't happen again???

2007 Black JK - Stocker, Smittybuilt front bumper, XRC Winch, Smittybuilt Rock Sliders... Build up coming soon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Check to make sure that your wires on the sensors are not shorting out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM
It never ends...

Like gunny said.

Also check the sensor to make sure it is tight and clean.

If you are still having trouble, check the alignment. That has happened multiple times when I am on the edge of out of alignment.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adventures of Rex Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Rock God

dumb question - what sensor? the ABS sensor reading wheel speed vai the tone ring?
post #5 of 34 Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

yes that sensor there are 4 of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I will get under and check the sensors. For now I just pulled the fuse that controls the ESP.

2007 Black JK - Stocker, Smittybuilt front bumper, XRC Winch, Smittybuilt Rock Sliders... Build up coming soon...
post #7 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Disable it, ESP is for retards that can't handle a vehicle anyway. I'm roughly 10" over stock and ~6" wider...the factory calibrations for "saving my life" are far from accurate as it is. I've had mine off since I had 1000miles on it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
Rock God

I've turned mine permanently off after installing my the Detroit Locker in the rear.

Made a hug difference in Rear Brake pad wear. I had to replace my rear brake pads twice in the first 30K miles. I am now at 50K with no ESP and there is still another 20K of pad left.

2009 JK - 2DR - 6SPD - 1/2 Doors
4.88 G2 Gears / Warn XD9000i / Custom bumpers & Swing Gate
XRC Rock Rails / 35" Kumho's on Black Rock Vipers
2.5" Mutt Lift / Rubicon T-Case / E-DISCO / VIAIR OBA
Rear CV Driveshaft / Rear Detroit Locker / Front Aussie
Teraflex Sleeves / Gussets / Nitro Chromoly Axles
post #9 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

OP has a 2007. He may be one of the unfortunate ones like myself that cannot disable it with the steering wheel dance unless we go to the dealer for a computer flash (which they will charge you for).

-Mike
2007 2dr X, 6sp, 35's on D44's, 2" lift, cage, hydro, etc.
post #10 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKred07 View Post
OP has a 2007. He may be one of the unfortunate ones like myself that cannot disable it with the steering wheel dance unless we go to the dealer for a computer flash (which they will charge you for).
Definitely worth the switch/cut wire disable.

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #11 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

I wonder......

My ESP only fires in corners, really.... usually when I think it picks up too much body roll.

Isn't there an accelerometer in the center consol? Has anyone removed it and measured its steady state internal resistance? Add an equivalent resistor and now the wheel slip function is still present, but body roll removed?

-Mike
post #12 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 10:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I wonder......

My ESP only fires in corners, really.... usually when I think it picks up too much body roll.

Isn't there an accelerometer in the center consol? Has anyone removed it and measured its steady state internal resistance? Add an equivalent resistor and now the wheel slip function is still present, but body roll removed?
I haven't bothered with it or seen anything to that nature, but I would imagine you could. Some adequate testing and analysis would need to be done if you're going to rely on it after that. I don't care for the wheel slip function either though. I've dropped the clutch crossing traffic that I misjudged...to go..NOW, the wheels spun; Jeep tried to save my life by cutting throttle as I coasted across 70mph traffic. Soccer moms can keep that feature.

..No thanks.

post #13 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 10:15 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I haven't bothered with it or seen anything to that nature, but I would imagine you could. Some adequate testing and analysis would need to be done if you're going to rely on it after that. I don't care for the wheel slip function either though. I've dropped the clutch crossing traffic that I misjudged...to go..NOW, the wheels spun; Jeep tried to save my life by cutting throttle as I coasted across 70mph traffic.

..No thanks.
Valid point. I just wish the damn steering wheel trick would work without going to the dealer. I hate unnescesarily cutting wires.

-Mike
post #14 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Correct I have a 2007. And he is a She btw... I have an appointment for Saturday at the stealership and I will have the computer re flashed at that time. There is a TSB out there for my model that covers the Re Flashing.

I will say I sure miss my YJ. It was much simpler and none of these stupid computer problems that my JK has had.

post #15 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnerwin View Post
Correct I have a 2007. And he is a She btw....
My apologies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnerwin View Post
I have an appointment for Saturday at the stealership and I will have the computer re flashed at that time. There is a TSB out there for my model that covers the Re Flashing.

I will say I sure miss my YJ. It was much simpler and none of these stupid computer problems that my JK has had.
You make a good point. I did look and there is a TWB. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to screw me.... wouldn't be surprised. Let me know how it turns out.

-Mike
post #16 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Definitely worth the switch/cut wire disable.
This ^^^^^

I shut it off on my '09 a couple years ago using the steering wheel hokey-pokey and have never missed it.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
post #17 of 34 Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
This ^^^^^

I shut it off on my '09 a couple years ago using the steering wheel hokey-pokey and have never missed it.
Just a quick question...when you did this, does the esp/bas light stay on then?
post #18 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 AM
Rock God

I've rarely had the ESC/ESP go off, but the last time I was on a partially covered snow road, the ESC triggered and kicked the rear end of the vehicle around. I was going slow so nothing happened, but if I had some speed, it probably would've put me into the tree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #19 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 03:50 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
My apologies!

You make a good point. I did look and there is a TWB. I wonder if the dealer is just trying to screw me.... wouldn't be surprised. Let me know how it turns out.
Understand that a TSB is a possible solution, not a covered service unless the vehicle still has warranty coverage. The dealer can charge for flashing if you do not have coverage. It amazes me to hear people say the dealer is ripping them off. The service tech needs to get paid for what they do. How many of you go to work for free?
post #20 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Jeepineer

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tjsport View Post
Understand that a TSB is a possible solution, not a covered service unless the vehicle still has warranty coverage. The dealer can charge for flashing if you do not have coverage. It amazes me to hear people say the dealer is ripping them off. The service tech needs to get paid for what they do. How many of you go to work for free?
Understood. I did not know TSB's were not covered if out of warranty. I normally don't feel dealer's rip me off, at least the one I use to go to. Chrysler recently closed that dealer, leaving me with only one local option that have been known to overcharge (when compared to the dealer I normally went to) and do shotty work. Which is why I havne't been there in years....

-Mike
post #21 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 07:42 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03tjsport View Post
As a previous BMW technician I agree completely. I got $28/hr flat rate and the dealer got $140/hr...hmm who's ripping who off?

x2 on the TSB not outside of warranty. Recalls are the only things that cross that line.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #22 of 34 Old 09-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Wheeler

Does this ESP feature cause the brake pedal to go "loose" sometimes? I've noticed if I'm turning into a parking space hard and brake it feels like the brake pedal wants to drop to the floor. It feels like it loses its resistance.
post #23 of 34 Old 09-20-2013, 03:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auckland View Post
Does this ESP feature cause the brake pedal to go "loose" sometimes? I've noticed if I'm turning into a parking space hard and brake it feels like the brake pedal wants to drop to the floor. It feels like it loses its resistance.
No, not at all. Do you have aftermarket brake lines or have inspected your brake lines recently?

post #24 of 34 Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 AM
Wheeler

Jeep is a stock 13 JKU with less than 8,000 miles and 7 months old. I have not done anything to it but wash it. I'll check the lines and fluid today.
post #25 of 34 Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 AM
Rock God

You should have hood stickers made for it that say Christine.

2007 Sahara Unlimited - Dana 60/14 Bolt - 5.38's with ARBs - 40x13.50x17 Goodyear MTRs - 3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor Plus - Rubi Rock Rails - XRC 10,000lb Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode