LOD bumpers? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17
Feedback: 0 reviews
LOD bumpers?

I am trying to decide which bumper to get but I know I want one with a recessed winch and stock fog lights. So anyways it looks like my only choices are the Lod mid length or the Shrockworks mid length. I like both bumpers but the Lod one is almost half the price of the Shrockworks and money is always an issue.

I am looking for honest, unbiased comments on the Lod bumpers; I have the Shrockworks rails so I am not worried about the quality of their product.

Also if there is any other bumper out there that meet my needs that I might have missed let me know.

Lod - http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_jk/20...-accessory.htm

Shrockworks - http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-F...-pr-16215.html
dougr5150 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 05:21 AM
Rock God
 
nam6869usmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Pa
Age: 70
Posts: 749
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr5150 View Post
I am trying to decide which bumper to get but I know I want one with a recessed winch and stock fog lights. So anyways it looks like my only choices are the Lod mid length or the Shrockworks mid length. I like both bumpers but the Lod one is almost half the price of the Shrockworks and money is always an issue.

I am looking for honest, unbiased comments on the Lod bumpers; I have the Shrockworks rails so I am not worried about the quality of their product.

Also if there is any other bumper out there that meet my needs that I might have missed let me know.

Lod - http://www.lodoffroad.com/jeep_jk/20...-accessory.htm

Shrockworks - http://www.shrockworks.com/Jeep-JK-F...-pr-16215.html
If Skidrow wasn't working on a front Bumper I would go with the Shrockworks with factory Fogs.....I do like both but I like the Shrockworks just a dab better. Looks great with a straight on front view. If either one was left at my doorstep this morning, I would install it.

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
nam6869usmc is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Wheeler
 
JasperK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Westminster, CO
Posts: 23
Feedback: 0 reviews

I vote for the Shrockworks bumper! I do like the midwidth versus the stubbys, and the LoD is a nice looking bumper if you prefer a minimilist appearence, but I prefer the more rugged look of the Shrockworks.
JasperK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Broker by the Minute
 
MichaelW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cartoon City Nirvana
Posts: 3,827
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Doug, I was originally in your same boat trying to save the stock factory fog lamps. I have to say that I so far do not miss them. Adding after market head lamps and some nice wide driving lights made a huge difference in my night visibility. I still have my factory fog lamps sitting in a box but I will more than likely put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm saying is there is an alternative and better solution to the factory fog lamps and I certainly wouldn't force the factory fog lamps to sway or limit my front bumper choices because of them.
MichaelW is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Rock God
 
nam6869usmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central Pa
Age: 70
Posts: 749
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelW View Post
Doug, I was originally in your same boat trying to save the stock factory fog lamps. I have to say that I so far do not miss them. Adding after market head lamps and some nice wide driving lights made a huge difference in my night visibility. I still have my factory fog lamps sitting in a box but I will more than likely put them up for sale.

I guess what I'm saying is there is an alternative and better solution to the factory fog lamps and I certainly wouldn't force the factory fog lamps to sway or limit my front bumper choices because of them.
Agree, there are many choices for better upgrades when it comes to lamps..

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
nam6869usmc is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2007, 07:41 PM
Granite Guru
 
Living Still's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Age: 30
Posts: 265
Feedback: 0 reviews

My vote goes to the shrockworks bumper with some lightforce 170 strikers. A lot of $, but well worth it for both the quality of the bumper and the durability of the lights. Good luck choosing!

-Casey


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Living Still is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 08-20-2007, 12:02 AM
JKO Addict!
 
mikeyfl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: apollo beach, fl
Age: 38
Posts: 2,872
Garage
Feedback: 3 reviews

i like the shrockworks. i thought i was getting stock fogs with my 08 23s package... but apparently they arent part of the package anymore. so now im on the hunt for another bumper.

but shrockworks middy was what i had my mind set on.
mikeyfl is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5
Feedback: 0 reviews

votes shrockworks
caojiong is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyfl View Post
i like the shrockworks. i thought i was getting stock fogs with my 08 23s package... but apparently they arent part of the package anymore. so now im on the hunt for another bumper.

but shrockworks middy was what i had my mind set on.
You can mount either stock lights or aftermarket 4" lights (i.e. PIAA 510's ...driving or fog) in the holes of the Mid Width....there are mounting set ups for both.

Nick
ToyFamily is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 08-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 20
Feedback: 0 reviews

Shrockworks are really built well the best bumpers I've seen.
mbar741028 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Wheeler
 
POTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N. Lanc. PA
Posts: 71
Feedback: 2 reviews

Those two were my first choices also until I found a 3rd choice. Have you seen the M.O.R.E.http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm
The winch doesn't sit as low as the other 2, but it still keeps the factory fogs and adds a winch hoop. And if you priced out the Shockworks with the hoop it's close in price. Plus I'm not a big fan on the Shockworks fairlead being off-center. Here's a pic of the M.O.R.E.

"Come on guys admit it, when that first one went off, didn't a little bit of pee leak out?"---Spc. Frye after Rt. Duster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
POTO is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 09-04-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17
Feedback: 0 reviews

That is a nice looking bumper as well, but incase you did not notice the fairlead is off centered in the picture you posted. The one thing that none of the bumper companies really mention is that the Warn Powerplant winch is so big that you need to have the fairlead off set or else it will not line up with the cable drum. It would be nice if they have an option for different winches that way you could have it centered or offset depending on which one you want and not try to build one that fits all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by POTO View Post
Plus I'm not a big fan on the Shockworks fairlead being off-center. Here's a pic of the M.O.R.E.
dougr5150 is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Feedback: 0 reviews
Wink

Shrockworks ...
Duende is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 09-05-2007, 01:22 PM
Wheeler
 
POTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: N. Lanc. PA
Posts: 71
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougr5150 View Post
That is a nice looking bumper as well, but incase you did not notice the fairlead is off centered in the picture you posted. The one thing that none of the bumper companies really mention is that the Warn Powerplant winch is so big that you need to have the fairlead off set or else it will not line up with the cable drum. It would be nice if they have an option for different winches that way you could have it centered or offset depending on which one you want and not try to build one that fits all.
Wow, now that you mention it... I never noticed it. I just thought it was the angle of the pic. Looks like I'm going to be stuck with an offset fairlead. That damn Warn Powerplant screws up everything for the rest of us with a regular old Warn 9.0RC.

"Come on guys admit it, when that first one went off, didn't a little bit of pee leak out?"---Spc. Frye after Rt. Duster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
POTO is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 52
Feedback: 0 reviews

*Almost*All winches are the same in the fact that the motor is longer than the gear side. Weather it is a Warn 6000-9500lb, Ramsey 6000-9500lb winch they are all between 7.55-7.95 from mounting hole to end of motor (even the 9.0RC). The mounting to edge of first interference is about 8.5" , that is if you are far enough back to miss the front frame horns (those give even less room).*IF* you want a winch sunk low and inside the frame rails and not have to cut your grill out around it, it is going to be off centered, unless you want to hack things out of the way. Butted up against the frame a 9500lb winch will still be over 3/8" off center, that is touching Frame and close to the grill. We tried to accommodate as many winches as possible, and gave room for installation by going about an inch over that.


Nick

Last edited by ToyFamily; 09-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.
ToyFamily is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome