Never scared of the rain again! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Never scared of the rain again!

After a full day of rain on the jeep with no doors and no top up, everything seems fine!

I always heard it was ok, but I remained skeptical. Everyday I've raced out and put the trail cover on since I've had the doors off, but today I didn't know about the rain until it was too late.

I don't think I'll ever have a vehicle as versatile as this, and I think it will take a special occasion to put the doors back on!

Very happy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Banned

Good luck w/ the electronics behind the dash. That's the only stuff I worry about. I've had mine get rained on quite a few times - but I try to avoid it.

post #3 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

That's exactly what I was worried about. I wonder how "water proof" that stuff is back there. I didn't expect the mygig to work to be honest with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

a bikini top will cure your worries. Unless it's raining sideways, it should keep water off the electronics.
post #5 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Has anyone ever experienced problems from the rain in their JK?
post #6 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Yes. After a pretty good rain with both doors off, I had the ETC (electronic throttle control) light come on. Couldn't drive it until I dried out the steering column/ dash with a hair dryer.

Happened again on the highway, after driving through some hard rain with the top off. Had to pull over and wait a while, before the light went off.

Wouldn't have been a big deal, except that the throttle was acting very erratically. (6 speed manual transmission)

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I actually spray my dash off at the car wash. I might not recommend it though lol..probably tempting fate with that one.
post #8 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Rock God

This is my third year (April to September) I have ran my JK without doors or top. And it is the first year I have been cautious about getting the JK completely wet for too long. In the past two years I have had the following problems:
Horn shorted out and blast till the circuits dry out 30/ 40 times
Engine would not turn off 4 times
Mygig screen blacked out 20 times
Shorted my heated seat 1
I still run without doors and top but it is now garage kept and stays dry when not driven. I have been caught in rain several times this year on the road but I have been moving and most of the rain doesnt hit my dash.
I have seen the connections behind my dash and all of it is rusted, so Im going to expect some issues down the road. I assume Ill have to address this issue later on like I did with my boat few rears back.
post #9 of 20 Old 07-15-2009, 11:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Once I just had my back windows out... got caught in a vertical rain storm... my Jeep was parked at a buddies house, got back to the Jeep, everything seemed ok. Inside the Jeep on the ride home noticed the humidity seemed a little high.... realized when I got home, the Jeep was full of water... back seat wells, fronts, my tools in the storage area... pulled the carpets and the plugs, dropped about 3 gallons of water.....

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
a bikini top will cure your worries. Unless it's raining sideways, it should keep water off the electronics.
You MUST not be from Florida How do the seats hold up with getting soaked? im in FL and taking the top and doors off during summer seems to be a HORRIBLE idea but when spring rolls around I wouldnt mind it but even in spring itll prob get rained on once or twice(hope not with my $600 pioneer HU) so just wondering, same thing with the carpet(hope to have the tub lined by then

07 Sahara Unlimited STEEL BLUE
Current Mods:3.5 Rock Krawler Mid Arm,
Teraflex drag linkflip kit(thanks Rooster),
18" XD Addict's on 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Granite Guru

buddy of mine thought he'd spend the entire summer without top or doors back in the spring of 08. needless to say, most of Indiana (along with Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio) flooded and he ended up with standing water to the door sills. Spent 2 days driving around like that, hoping for evaporation, before someone in his office asked about drain plugs.....

But his electronics were fine.

2008 Wrangler X
--Jeep Green w/soft-top

2013 Unlimited Sport
--Gecko
post #12 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 09:24 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_rubi View Post
I have seen the connections behind my dash and all of it is rusted, so Im going to expect some issues down the road.
That's the issue. Rain water behind the dash will dry out after each soaking and everything will work fine, but the rust and corrosion will start to build and one day may well become a nightmare to track down weird electrical faults.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Alec W

We got caught out big time last weekend. The spray on the highway was so bad that I couldnt see out the windshield because of the water on the inside of the glass (had to keep wiping it with a rag). On top of that we drove a few miles on a muddy dirt road so I have fine dirt splatters all over the interior. This is one of the few times Im going to use my power washer (gently) on the interior.

Actually, Im about to go do that now after I pull the carpet. Later Ill paint the tub with that stuff you used Phil.

In general I rarely take the bikini top off because my bald spot gets burnt
post #14 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Rock God

We don't have to worry about anything getting wet here in south Texas, it hasn't rained in about 10 months!!

HANG ON TIGHT...I SAW THIS IN A CARTOON ONCE...I THINK I CAN DO IT!!
08 4 DOOR, FLAME RED, 3" SKYJACKER LIFT, 325/70-17 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, MOTO METAL 951 WHEELS, RANCHO REAR BUMPER/TIRE CARRIER,DAYSTAR HOOD WRANGLERS, RAINGLER GRIPS, MOPAR SLUSH MATS
post #15 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddandshari'sjk View Post
We don't have to worry about anything getting wet here in south Texas, it hasn't rained in about 10 months!!
Yeah, we've had 3-1/2" of rain year to date compared to the usual 16" YTD. In fact the usual average rainfall for June is higher than what we've had for the whole year.
post #16 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Yeah, we've had 3-1/2" of rain year to date compared to the usual 16" YTD. In fact the usual average rainfall for June is higher than what we've had for the whole year.
holy hell that = no puddles to play in YIKES!! my avatar pic was from Ocala FL the week they got 14+inches of rain, and I believe Daytona got 24+inches that week

if I know its going to rain or 30%+ chance overnight I'll throw my top up but I dont bother putting the windows in, I hose my jeep interior out after wheelin doorless oh hell even after wheelin with the doors on I have to haha but dont spray the dash of course
post #17 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to jnr0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddandshari'sjk View Post
That's no S***! I have to wash the back window twice a day so I can see through the dust. No way I can run here on the ranch without a top,cause I'd have an inch of dirt on everything.

"Right Wing Extremist" as defined by DHS (dept homeland security)
post #18 of 20 Old 07-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr0104 View Post
That's no S***! I have to wash the back window twice a day so I can see through the dust. No way I can run here on the ranch without a top,cause I'd have an inch of dirt on everything.
Even washed I cant see through the back window (soft top)
I got caught with my roof down, when I got to work and pulled the carpet out I found more than an inch of water in the foot wells. when I pulled the plugs I made a hell of a mess on the shop floor. Nothing a few fans and some warm weather cant fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
post #19 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 05:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

biggest thing about getting the dash wet is you might not see any problems right away but it might come to bite you in the ass in a few years. i dont care about the floor or seats but i try to keep the dash dry

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #20 of 20 Old 07-17-2009, 12:55 PM
Rock God

Any chance of rain I put the top up... I hate sitting on a wet seat

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode