Help me plan my JK build.... :confused: - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews
Help me plan my JK build.... :confused:

I hope to get a 4-door Rubi soon and would like to plan the buildup before I start...
The JK: (Hopefully)
4-Door Rubi.
Hard Top.
White.
Tow pack.
Nav.

To give you an idea of what it will look like when done I plan on having the top painted white and some sort of black coating on fenders, bumpers, rocker guards, a net for when the top is off and black wheels.

Front Bumper: ???
Rear Bumper: Red Rock Fab?
F/R Winches: WARN?
Rock Sliders: Red Rock Fab?
Skid System: ???
Full Cage: KMA FAB?
Diff Covers: River Raider?
Snorkel: River Raider
Lift: ???
CB: ???
Wheels: 17's???
Tires: 37"-38"?
HI-LIFT: X-TREME 48" or 60"
Synthetic Winch Line: ???
Tube Doors: ???
Rock Lights: ???
Driving Lights: ???
Backup Lights: ???
Dual Battery Kit: ???
Air Intake: ???
Tube Fenders: River Raider? Xenon?
Axle Sleves/Gussets: Offroad Evolution?
Seat Covers: Covercraft
Nets: Safari Straps/Raingler/COP4x4???


My list of what I want/like compiled so far.
Any suggestions, criticism, etc. is welcome.

Thanks!
NateK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Rock God
 
Proud Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Louisiana
Age: 56
Posts: 1,009
Feedback: 0 reviews

Man, what a list, guess what... you're addicted and you know it!
I'd say take your list and do what I did. Search every vendor and compare prices and your current needs and monies you want to spend. I'd do alot of searches on this forum for info, it has alot of it believe me!!! Good hunting and good luck with the build. As far as a front bumper goes I like the Smittybilt XRC, cause it has a lower stinger to protect the front grill and my winch and a spot to mount lights as large as 9" round.

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Proud Rebel; 07-11-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Proud Rebel is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru
 
Nanook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Richlands, NC
Posts: 163
Feedback: 0 reviews

Nate,
you have developed quite an impressive list. How long is the build-up going to take? Weeks? Months? Years? The reason I ask, is so that you build your vehicle methodically. For instance you usually wouldn't want to purchase 37" tires before your lift. I would say that generally most would get some protection or tires first depending on the type of terrain you intend to tackle. But the Rubi already has some protection, aggressive tires, and extraction points. So if it was my money I would start with a lift and then tires. Keep searching the forum and you will find plenty of opinions about different companies and their products. Good luck and have fun!

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
Nanook is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Nate,
you have developed quite an impressive list. How long is the build-up going to take? Weeks? Months? Years? The reason I ask, is so that you build your vehicle methodically. For instance you usually wouldn't want to purchase 37" tires before your lift. I would say that generally most would get some protection or tires first depending on the type of terrain you intend to tackle. But the Rubi already has some protection, aggressive tires, and extraction points. So if it was my money I would start with a lift and then tires. Keep searching the forum and you will find plenty of opinions about different companies and their products. Good luck and have fun!
I think I'm going to build most of my armor which will cut down on the costs a lot!.
I want to run the smallest lift possible with 37's I'm looking for minimum uptravel 3-4" and maximum droop up to 16" (I know it sounds crazy but it can be done)
I'm even considering building up my own triangulated 4-link front and rear...
In that case All I'd need would be some springs if I go that route. (most likely coilovers though)
I figure I can do bumpers and sliders for under $1K if I do them myself instead of $2.5-$3K if I buy them.
I doubt I'll be able to make skids, but you never know I'm determined to have a unique rig. I could do them for maybe $300 instead of the $1K most people want...
Winches is what's gonna get me... I figure at least $4K for winches F/R and recovery gear (maybe even synthetic line to keep it light. )
Exhaust will be a few hundred (I have a really trick idea that would most likely make it cheaper , programer a few hundred (If I go that route(Plan on a powerplant swap many years down the road)), snorkel 500...
It won't be cheap but It'll be worth it.

My original list:
Front Bumper. ??? $1K
Rear Bumper. Red Rock Fab $1.2K?
F/R Winches. WARN? $4K
Rock Sliders. Red Rock Fab $650
Skid System. ??? $1K
Full Cage. KMA FAB $2K
Diff Covers. RROR $350
Snorkel. RROR $500
6" Long Arm Lift. ??? $3K?
CB. ???
Wheels. ??? $800?
Tires. 37"-38"? $1.5K?
HI-LIFT Jack. X-TREME 48"-60" $110
Synthetic Winch Line. ???
Tube Doors. ??? $300?
Rock Lights. ???
Driving Lights. ???
Backup Lights. ???
Dual Battery Kit. ??? $550
Air Intake. ???
Tube Fenders. RROR? $1K
Axle Sleves/Gussets. Offroad Evo $250
Seat Covers. MustMotoring $180
Nets. Safari Straps/Raingler/COP4x4??? $350?
Switch Pannel. $350?

TOTAL: $19.1K+++

Ouch, I'm wishing I didn't do that....
But that's if I purchase all major components and I can save $$$$ building myself plus if I skip tube fenders and mod the stockers, etc.

I just need to get the Jeep so I can start planning all of this.

Build time will vary depending on available funds and time..

Last edited by NateK; 07-15-2009 at 02:07 AM.
NateK is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Granite Guru
 
NorthGAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Buford, GA
Age: 43
Posts: 472
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

That is a nice list. My build direction is somewhat determined it is just a matter of gathering the costs together. Since my Jeep was my first 4x4 I also have to include air and various tools that other people might already have.

My only feedback could be on the winches. $4K seems high to me for two winches with synthetic line. (A Mile Marker V10 is only $800 plus $300 for new line)

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NorthGAX is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAX View Post
That is a nice list. My build direction is somewhat determined it is just a matter of gathering the costs together. Since my Jeep was my first 4x4 I also have to include air and various tools that other people might already have.

My only feedback could be on the winches. $4K seems high to me for two winches with synthetic line. (A Mile Marker V10 is only $800 plus $300 for new line)
I'll only buy a Warn winch... (past family experience...)
I'm thinking this: http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/9.0Rc.shtml
But not sure.... It's light, fast and will provide the pulling power that I'll need.
Mostly I'm going for light. that there is by far Warns lightest winch, and unlike most I'm wanting my Jeep not to exceed it's rated payload capacity empty... lol
And I'm including all recovery gear in that, snatch blocks, tow straps, shackles, etc. (except the Hi-Lift)
But several of my guestimates are a bit high... I'd rather be surprised by a lower cost than higher than I previously thought...
Front bumper for example, I think I put at $1K, when you could get one for $400...

Last edited by NateK; 07-15-2009 at 10:15 AM.
NateK is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Granite Guru
 
skeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 232
Feedback: 0 reviews

You've left off gears drive shafts. And you'll want a programmer after your lift and tires and gears. And you'll want c-gussets after your tires too. There's tons of expense that goes into getting 37's. I waited about 9 months before I did anything to my jeep. My TJ I jumped into some mods quickly and regretted them later. This time around I was a little older and a lot wealthier and able to buy what I deemed the best. I am now EXTREMELY happy. Good luck
skeptic is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
You've left off gears drive shafts. And you'll want a programmer after your lift and tires and gears. And you'll want c-gussets after your tires too. There's tons of expense that goes into getting 37's. I waited about 9 months before I did anything to my jeep. My TJ I jumped into some mods quickly and regretted them later. This time around I was a little older and a lot wealthier and able to buy what I deemed the best. I am now EXTREMELY happy. Good luck
I have C gussets on the list (along with sleeves)
But I did forget driveshafts...
And regear... (about $2K?.. F/R)
How much do top-of-the-line driveshafts run? Who's good? Tom Woods? who else?

Thanks!

This is why I put up my list, so people could let me know where I'm wrong/forgot things.
And to give me suggestions on what to use.


Keep in mind the guestimated prices above are me doing the install (except full cage).
NateK is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Granite Guru
 
skeptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 232
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateK View Post
I have C gussets on the list (along with sleeves)
But I did forget driveshafts...
And regear... (about $2K?.. F/R)
How much do top-of-the-line driveshafts run? Who's good? Tom Woods? who else?

Thanks!

This is why I put up my list, so people could let me know where I'm wrong/forgot things.
And to give me suggestions on what to use.


Keep in mind the guestimated prices above are me doing the install (except full cage).
gears aren't that expensive if you do them yourself. But unless you've done it before, might be better off just spending the money. You should be able to do front and rear for 1500 bucks or less.

Not sure who has the "best" shafts. I just used a local company to spin me a set.
skeptic is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Ya know Nate,it's all well and fine doing up a wish list,asking everyone what would be best etc.You might just want to get the jeep first,drive it for a short while then you'll be better able to prioritize your purchases/mods.Just a thought.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
Ya know Nate,it's all well and fine doing up a wish list,asking everyone what would be best etc.You might just want to get the jeep first,drive it for a short while then you'll be better able to prioritize your purchases/mods.Just a thought.
That's all this is for now...
A wishlist.
As soon as the Jeep is in my hands it will become the future mod list.
Heck, I might build a tube buggy like my brother instead...
If that happens I'll go with 35's on the Jeep an a pre-built lift.
That way I'll be able to use it as a camping wheeler. as well as a DD.
On the off chance that I never do get a Jeep (unlikely because I've considered my options several times and every time a Jeep has been one of them) It'll have been fun to daydream.
NateK is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 07-15-2009, 06:39 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 68
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateK View Post
That's all this is for now...
A wishlist.
As soon as the Jeep is in my hands it will become the future mod list.
Heck, I might build a tube buggy like my brother instead...
If that happens I'll go with 35's on the Jeep an a pre-built lift.
That way I'll be able to use it as a camping wheeler. as well as a DD.
On the off chance that I never do get a Jeep (unlikely because I've considered my options several times and every time a Jeep has been one of them) It'll have been fun to daydream.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome