largest tires for stock? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
14ers

largest tires for stock?

Can a Rubi run 33's without issues?

Also, anyone take thier stock Rubi on the Rubicon and live to tell about it? I'm thinking of going with some buddies and KNOW I will not have it lifted by then.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 AM
JKowners Vendor

Stock 4-door with a 6-spd on the Rubicon. Ouch. 33's only give you another 1/2-inch of clearance.

Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done without undercarriage abuse? Not likely. Your longer wheelbase will make it a pretty grueling trip, with plenty of opportunities for your buddies to drag you off of stuff. And I wouldn't count on keeping the stock bumpers intact. JMO.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #3 of 26 Old 07-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Garage

That may be the catalyst to get the build done for the next trip It worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.I.I.K View Post
Ok We need to organize a "Strippers and Blow Trail Run" It can raise money for college scholarships
Raleigh Meet and Greet,
Check the thread ------------->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-11-2009, 07:36 PM
Rock God

Sure you can run the 33's.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
14ers

Thanks for the input. I realize the potential for damage and also know a lift will go a long way. Right now I am trying to balance the passion for the outdors with the grocery bill

post #6 of 26 Old 07-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Wheeler

Top Ramen 10 for $1.00
post #7 of 26 Old 07-13-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
14ers

That'll work for my 3 teenagers. Turns out my wife and I are the choosey ones. I like stouts and black ales with my tri-tip.

Inexpensive mods are the order of the day... I'll be welding on some protection. Looking for a good oil pan/exhaust/tranny skid plate. I'll paint it myself. And thinking of picking up some used OS tires (33-35?) on beater rims to swap out for trail runs. I know 35's won't clear. What if I cut away some of my flenders? They'll have to be replaced someday anyway...

post #8 of 26 Old 07-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadontheroad View Post
That'll work for my 3 teenagers. Turns out my wife and I are the choosey ones. I like stouts and black ales with my tri-tip.

Inexpensive mods are the order of the day... I'll be welding on some protection. Looking for a good oil pan/exhaust/tranny skid plate. I'll paint it myself. And thinking of picking up some used OS tires (33-35?) on beater rims to swap out for trail runs. I know 35's won't clear. What if I cut away some of my flenders? They'll have to be replaced someday anyway...
A BB wouldn't set you back much, and would allow 35s to clear. You could also just run it like it is and fix what breaks (or breaks off). That may or may not be cheaper.
post #9 of 26 Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Can a Rubi run 33's without issues?

I ran 33's on a stock X, with no issues before my BB lift!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #10 of 26 Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to justrok

I followed and wheeled (and saved) with the engineers through the Rubicon right before the JK release. Watching the engineers "drive them like they stole em" is really what led me to buy a JK. The skids on all of the mules were upgraded, at least the ones that ran the whole trail, not just down Cadillac and back like the ones that were there for the media. With the skids, the only real damage was the bumpers and an occasional lost fender. They also did NOT air down and very seldomly did anyone need a tug. With front and rear lockers, traction didn't seem to be much of an issue and the added height from the aired up tires seemed like a better trade off.

IF I were to run it without a lift...I would skid the bottom, pull the plastic bumpers and the fenders( if you don't they will get ripped off). Then you could run bigger tires and you should make it through ok if you take the easy lines.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited (Retired from Mall Crawling on 8/21/09 to spend more time on the rocks with the family)
1997 TJ 3-linked front anchored by a very heavy JK44
post #11 of 26 Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

2007 stock RUBICON ON 32'S
Before they closed the by pass to ellis creek My daughter drove and I and a friend guided.
We went from ellis creek down to Wentworth Springs, about 1 1/2 miles. WE went very slow picking the lines very carfully. The only damage was a dented oil Pan.
I wish you luck.

2007 Jk Rubicon
1952 M38A1
post #12 of 26 Old 07-16-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
14ers

Yeah! Thanks for the pointers. I really appreciate the input.
I have argued the point of not airing down on the tough bouldered trails. My buddy says you HAVE to, but he's running 35x16's, plenty o' sidewall.

My current plan is to add a oil/tranny skid, cut the flenders to be just flares and maybe get some used 33's (35's if they'll fit, but I doubt it) on 16" wheels.

post #13 of 26 Old 07-16-2009, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_wes View Post
A BB wouldn't set you back much, and would allow 35s to clear. You could also just run it like it is and fix what breaks (or breaks off). That may or may not be cheaper.
But aren't most BB just spacers in the springs, limiting your ability to get good traction? I always thought it was better to leave it loose and low than tight and high. I could be wrong.

post #14 of 26 Old 07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to justrok

Quote:
Yeah! Thanks for the pointers. I really appreciate the input.
I have argued the point of not airing down on the tough bouldered trails. My buddy says you HAVE to, but he's running 35x16's, plenty o' sidewall.

My current plan is to add a oil/tranny skid, cut the flenders to be just flares and maybe get some used 33's (35's if they'll fit, but I doubt it) on 16" wheels.
Don't air down if you are running stock.....I ran the Ladder at Slick Rock which is a granite face and I walked right up it stock without touching the valve stems. My TJ with 35" MT/Rs aired down to 7lbs, had a harder time on that section then the JK (added wheelbase). Like I said, I watched the Jeep people run 25 JKs on the Rubicon and they didn't air down.

I would guess if you totally removed the fenders, trim a bit, and ran some 2 inch wheel spacers you could get some 35's under that thing. IF the lower40 could do it with raised fenders, you could do 35's with none.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited (Retired from Mall Crawling on 8/21/09 to spend more time on the rocks with the family)
1997 TJ 3-linked front anchored by a very heavy JK44
post #15 of 26 Old 07-20-2009, 03:41 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

Quote:
But aren't most BB just spacers in the springs, limiting your ability to get good traction? I always thought it was better to leave it loose and low than tight and high. I could be wrong.
a b/b has little to do with traction. for a simple low lift that has a minimal impact on the ride and handling, a b/b is the way to go. all you are really "limiting" yourself to is the factory coils. with some carefull measuring, you can fit a long travel shock on it, extended brake lines, appropriate swaybar discos or links... and the suspension will flex nicely. i currently have 12" travel shocks on the front and Poly Perf rear shock brackets.... havent had the money to get the new rear shocks yet.. or the brake lines.

i have run a b/b on a 98 ZJ (later with lift coils, b/b and LAs) and on this JK with no trouble in handling, traction or performance in general.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
post #16 of 26 Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

If you plan on running a stock front bumper, I'd recommend the Skid Row front skid plate to help you drag your nose a bit instead of bashing on rocks.
Also, a front diff cover would be a wise choice- Mark W.
Edit- as for the OP, 285/70/17's will fit, BUT, you'll want wheel spacers on OEM wheels, or you'll rub at full lock. Also, at full stuff, you MAY rub depending on the tire- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...

Last edited by thaduke2003; 07-20-2009 at 09:22 AM.
post #17 of 26 Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb Cheep lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep School View Post
Stock 4-door with a 6-spd on the Rubicon. Ouch. 33's only give you another 1/2-inch of clearance.

Can it be done? Yes. Can it be done without undercarriage abuse? Not likely. Your longer wheelbase will make it a pretty grueling trip, with plenty of opportunities for your buddies to drag you off of stuff. And I wouldn't count on keeping the stock bumpers intact. JMO.
I have a nice set of stock bumpers you can have, but I live 4 miles from Mickey and that is a long drive from Livermore. On the other hand you can pick up a TeraFlex 2.5" BB lift for under $300. Even with the Stock 32's that is still more lift. I got mine for $226.00. The Wife and I installed it in our driveway on a Saturday. We ran Cleghorn the next day to test it out. It's been that way for about 1-1/2 years now with no problems. I'm guessing that is less then you would pay for the 33 Inch tires.

Pick up the lift kit, come down to Fullerton for the weekend. I'll help you install it. You can take my stock bumpers back with you as spares.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.

Last edited by jacktuttle; 07-20-2009 at 03:15 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 07-20-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
14ers

That there is one nice offer. Don't see that kind of neighborly kindness much these days. Thanks very much and I 'll let you know. I didn't really consider a bb maybe because of the way my brothers and I did them... I'll look further. $226 isn't much, but a good set of skids is proving to be quite a bit more.
I've been thinking I might be able to make some of my own. I have not measured much, and the arms look to be a challenge. But I wonder if I can just weld some blocks on some plate so the bolts are recessed and bolt it on a few places..? I'll have to measure.

post #19 of 26 Old 07-20-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
14ers

[QUOTE=jacktuttle;159604]I have a nice set of stock bumpers you can have, ...QUOTE]

I have already cut the corners off the stock soda bottles. I was looking earlier to replace them, but then thought, Nah. I'll just end up crushing them again. I need to save up for a good set of stubbies. Thanks

post #20 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
... you can pick up a TeraFlex 2.5" BB lift for under $300. Even with the Stock 32's that is still more lift. I got mine for $226.00. The Wife and I installed it in our driveway on a Saturday. We ran Cleghorn the next day to test it out. It's been that way for about 1-1/2 years now with no problems. I'm guessing that is less then you would pay for the 33 Inch tires. ..
I see online there's 3 choices - Basic.. With shock adaptors.. With new shocks.
Did you get longer shocks? Stick with the OEM's? Any potential issues with basic setup and OEM shocks (other than shocks too short). What about cuttting the rear shock mounts and moving those up a bit. They should be replaced with the Poly Perf adjustable shock mounts anyway. Tell me what you think about the TF bb !!

post #21 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Stock Shocks

Quote:
I see online there's 3 choices - Basic.. With shock adaptors.. With new shocks.
Did you get longer shocks? Stick with the OEM's? Any potential issues with basic setup and OEM shocks (other than shocks too short). What about cuttting the rear shock mounts and moving those up a bit. They should be replaced with the Poly Perf adjustable shock mounts anyway. Tell me what you think about the TF bb !!
I still have my factory shocks with extensions on them. I have wheeled a lot this way and no shock problems yet. When the shocks wear out I'll get longer shocks. My total cost for the lift was $226.00 for the lift kit and I think about $17.52 in tax. 4WP drop shipped to my door at no charge. I got the lift at 4 Wheel parts (On-line) in early 2008.

Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #22 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to thaduke2003

^TF is a vendor here- PM Carl (Teraflex), and he'll get you the best deal- Mark W.

Back in a '94 YJ! Well, after I sink $$$$ into it...
post #23 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Garage
No Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaduke2003 View Post
^TF is a vendor here- PM Carl (Teraflex), and he'll get you the best deal- Mark W.
I said on the last post, No Shock Problems" But to tell you the truth, I have not had any lift related problems at all. but then it 's only been 18 months.....

post #24 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock God

buy the 2.5 teraflex BB with shock extenders. Find some used 35's and wheels. You will be able to wheel some really good trails with that setup and depending on the wheels and tires, you could probably come out well under $1000.00 I wheeled mine with that setup for 1.5 years and everyone was amazed at how well I went. If you were closer, I would give my 2.5 bb that i just replaced with an rk 3.5. The only downside i ever had was when i added smittybilt front bumper and winch. It dropped the front a full inch. for $115 I put on 4" springs and my steering went to hell on the road. Still did great offroad. I am still running the 2.5 bb on my wifes unlimited with stock 32s and even that is a huge difference. just my 2 cents
post #25 of 26 Old 07-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Stock Springs and Steel Bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
buy the 2.5 teraflex BB with shock extenders. Find some used 35's and wheels. You will be able to wheel some really good trails with that setup and depending on the wheels and tires, you could probably come out well under $1000.00 I wheeled mine with that setup for 1.5 years and everyone was amazed at how well I went. If you were closer, I would give my 2.5 bb that i just replaced with an rk 3.5. The only downside i ever had was when i added smittybilt front bumper and winch. It dropped the front a full inch. for $115 I put on 4" springs and my steering went to hell on the road. Still did great offroad. I am still running the 2.5 bb on my wifes unlimited with stock 32s and even that is a huge difference. just my 2 cents
Yes I have steel bumpers front and rear. The stock springs do loose some hight with or with out the lift!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode