Skid Plates - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Skid Plates

Finally got around to removing the gas tank skid so I could repair it. Man this thing is fuc*ed up. I am going to reinforce it with some plate before I put it back in. If anyone else's skid looks like this I would advise you to do the same. The problem is when the skid is pushed up it put higher loads in smaller areas of the tank and could eventually wear through the plastic tank, plus you will be able to actually fill the tank back to original capacity.

I had a colony of small ants living in the skid

I am also going to repair my t-case and engine skids. When I first bought these rock hard skids I thought they would hold up better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:59 AM
Rock God

It looks like is time for some new and stronger skids.

JKOutcast Member
post #3 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I thought the RH skids would have held up better? Maybe after you straighten them out weld some 3/8 angle in the pan.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Rock God

Wow, those things are trashed! I had the same luck with my warn engine skid on my TJ, they just bowed like crazy until I added some extra ribs, then they held up decently.

'08 Unlimited Sahara - Hemi -
Long Arm CoilOver - RockJock 60 Front - Tera CRD60 Rear - Hutchinsons & 37" Kevlar MT/R's -
Fenders & Rockers -
Bumpers - Ramsey 9500UT - WTOR Hydro Assist - Etc.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I thought the RH skids would have held up better? Maybe after you straighten them out weld some 3/8 angle in the pan.
Yeah I was thinking I need to do something while I have them off. I wish I could move the gas tank up and then build a flat skid from one side to the other with some dom for reinforcing.

|
|
post #6 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

just cut a couple inches horizontal out the middle of the tank and duct tape it back togther. The trick is, to make sure the tape is really flat to get a good seal
post #7 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Banned

so, is the skid the only thing holding up the tank?

is there any straps or bolts that keep it from moving around in the side to side fashion??
post #8 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Rock God

My gas tank skid is wasted too... Looks about the same, and I'm short close to 2 gals at fill up. Anymore details on dropping this thing? I havent even looked, but I'm guessing a couple of hoses to unclamp and a few bolts/hangers on each side of the skid? Thanks!

Dave Dorsen [847-410-3750]

*Dealer inquiries welcome*
post #9 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The skid holds the tank up, no straps on the tank it just rest in the skid. Remove the filler hose, 5 plastic lines, the one wire connector, remove the transfer case skid, put a jack under the skid and remove the 8 18mm bolts holding it up.

|
|

Last edited by bodyguy; 07-09-2009 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF_LOL View Post
just cut a couple inches horizontal out the middle of the tank and duct tape it back togther. The trick is, to make sure the tape is really flat to get a good seal
Don't get me wrong I like duct tape but the last time I did that the gas turned the tapes adhesive to gel and I had an icky mess all over my hands

|
|
post #11 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
Don't get me wrong I like duct tape but the last time I did that the gas turned the tapes adhesive to gel and I had an icky mess all over my hands
did you use silver or black tape?

I am surprised there is nothing to keep the tank from moving. I would think even the slightest movement of the tank back and forth, sitting on metal with grit would eat it away like sandpaper. I would be tempted to put some sort of rubber pad under it
post #12 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
did you use silver or black tape?

I used the black so it would match, guess I should have used the silver huh

Quote:
I am surprised there is nothing to keep the tank from moving. I would think even the slightest movement of the tank back and forth, sitting on metal with grit would eat it away like sandpaper. I would be tempted to put some sort of rubber pad under it
That's the other reason I wanted to pull it. I was cleaning and painting the frame after the beach trip and I kept getting sand out of it, you wouldn't believe how much crap was between the tank and skid. Another thing I found was the flange for my rear drive-shaft has almost cut through the skid. I have Tom Woods shafts with 1350 u-joint and the flange is a little larger than the stock one so when the rear axle is articulating it hits the skid.

|
|
post #13 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 PM
Banned

if it were to cut through the skid are you thinking it will contact the tank itself?
post #14 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
if it were to cut through the skid are you thinking it will contact the tank itself?
The area that was pushed in from the flange was touching the tank, so if it was to come through it would have cut the tank.

|
|
post #15 of 18 Old 07-09-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Here are all the connections that need to be disconnected
Rear

Front

Middle

Damage from a rock that was wedged between the tank and skid plate

|
|
post #16 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 07:29 AM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW I welded some 1x1/4" fins on to the inside of my RockHard t-case skid and it improves the strength of it substantially.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyguy View Post
I have Tom Woods shafts with 1350 u-joint and the flange is a little larger than the stock one so when the rear axle is articulating it hits the skid.
The 1310 and stock ones do the same. I trimmed the skid in that area, but it still makes contact a little.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Rock God

Garage
Wink Glue

Quote:
I don't think I'd use duct tape alone for this. Maybe some of that Gorilla Glue...

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode