Portable GPS unit - which one? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Portable GPS unit - which one?

I have $200 in Best Buy gift cards and want to pick up a portable GPS unit for the Jeep. I had a tomtom One and liked it but am willing to try a different model if it has better features.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&type=category

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Established April 1, 1983-
No dues, No rules, No President
ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 03:02 PM
JKO Addict!

It depends on what you are planning on using it for really. If you only plan to use it for street use, there are lots that will treat you fine. If you plan on for trail use, there are lots that will treat you fine. If you want it for both, expect it to not do either all that well.

I have a Magellan Crossover that does offroad, road, and marine because I was trying to do it all. It does the road nav real nice, but it lacks in offroad. I have since bought a Garmin Oregon 400T for offroad and love it. It does everying I could imagine very well. There is some routing software for road, but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how well it does. It's about $100 bucks for the software though so for that price you could just about buy a cheap road gps for that.

Either way, $200 doesn't get you all that far for good offroad unit, but should get you lots of options for road units.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

This will be mainly for street use, all the trails in CA are fairly heavily traveled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ALL FUN!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Go for a Garmin. We have a Nuvi 260 (recently discontinued) but you can get similar ones for a fairly good price.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
post #5 of 12 Old 07-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Granite Guru

I recently had to buy a new GPS as my cheap MIO died. I ordered a Garmin Nuvi 760 and it arrived just yesterday.

I gotta say, I am impressed so far with the unit and the little doo-dads that come on it.

Blue-tooth for hands free, free download of the latest map pack, good support it seems. It does all the regular stuff (Pictures, music etc) and has modes for pedestrian as well as bicycle if you are in to that.

Garmin also has a downloadable set of geocaching spots you can get, scenic routes, historic racing routes etc etc.

I'll get a chance to check out how accurate the maps are this weekend, and also see how well it tracks off the beaten path.

--------------------
Preacher
REDRUM
2009 Wrangler 'X'
post #6 of 12 Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

I've got a Garmin Colorado 300 and love it, found it a lot cheaper on ebay but I've seen the price coming down to your range.

Just a big heads up for everyone, do a search on the net and you'll find huge blogs on the horrors of Magellan customer service. I found out myself. Magellan has their customer service center in India, you have to have the receipt and it be under warranty to get it fixed, for free obviously but it takes forever to get through, the stories are pretty bad. No service if its out of the warranty period, mine was out of warranty and it was a gift so I didn't have the receipt so I was screwed doubly...obviously I was willing to pay but they wouldn't even offer it. You end up finding you have to go through a 3rd party company in Texas to get Magellans fixed.
Garmin actually answered the phone when I called the first time (I've started checking customer service before I buy big items), and they advertise to fix out of warranty products....you just have to obviously pay but at least they answer the phones and offer the support of their own products.

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Long Arm Rancho, 37"MT Baja M/T's, SRC Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, XRC Front Bumper, Mile Marker 9.5, Viper Alarm, PureJeep Rockers...PM to ask my opinions

Wife: 99 TJ, 3" Lift, 32's
Had: 99TJ, 5" 35's....
post #7 of 12 Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM
Rock God

X2 true story about Magellan, they suck donkey balls. I had one and customer service calls are a nightmare.

JKOutcast Member
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Rock God

I have two Magellan's and one Tom Tom - and all work flawlessly. I take one of the Magellans with me when I travel and the Tom Tom is strictly off-road/hiking/climbing. I would take your money to the store and see which one you like best. All will be very much the same and slightly different.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 PM
Wheeler

The Garmin Nuvi 265wt is the one I've been looking at, but I purchased a Garmin Oregon 400t instead. This one comes preloaded with all the topo maps for the country. My favorite feature, may not apply to you, is that it interfaces with ARC GIS.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-19-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Just picked up the Garmin Nuvi 255W. So far so good and you can select your own vehicle icon - I picked the monster truck

ALL FUN!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-19-2009, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

New vehicle icon, just downloaded it!
Attached Images

ALL FUN!
post #12 of 12 Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUN LS1 View Post
New vehicle icon, just downloaded it!
Cool! I think some Nuvis allow SD cards to work in them so you can run topo maps from garmen.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode