Please Help!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Please Help!!

I had the dreaded death wobble on a stock 2007 sahara with the factory 18" wheels. It happened about once a month, slight turn, bridge to road junction. I bought an after market steering damper - problem solved. I installed a Zone 3" lift and the DW occurs on any bump over 50 mph. I retorqued all the bolts and torqued the track bars to 125. No change. I took it to a shop and had an alignment with cam bolts installed on the lower control arms and the wheels balanced. No change. I called the offroad shop, they said its a Dodge-designed four link and they will all do this eventially. They suggested a dual steering damper! What do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 07:23 AM
Banned

I dont know what to do - but I do know that the powers that be will soon be posting that another steering stabilizer will only mask the problem. Someone'll be posting up here in a minute. Hang in there.

post #3 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thats why I am asking. I want to actually fix the problem. I refuse to take the lift off. It took me two years to get my wife on board with the lift. BTW, the lift came with new shocks. I only say that because I have seen where guys said bad shocks contribute to the DW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

It sounds like the tires. rotate and balance, and it will most likely go away.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 08:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Are you running the same stock tires? I had 3 tires separate in the same month, found out that was my problem. Good luck!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Granite Guru

Check your steering components (tie rod ends), switch the tires and drive it. What tires are you running ???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 JK Sahara 4" of lift, 2" BL, 37" M16's , rancho rear bumper, EVO C gussets and skids, PSC Evap Skid, SB Bumper w/stinger, 10000LB SB Winch, Aussie locker on front and a lot of spare axle shafts lol
CONFIDENCE is the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I am running the stock tires, they at near the end of thier lifetime. The boss says I need to wear them out before I can purchase the Dick Cepek 35"s I want. I did have them balanced yesterday. I will try the tie rod ends, does anyone know the torque? I will also rotate the tires. Its been awhile since I rotated myself and not that this matters but, rears come straight foward and the fronts go to the rear diagonally right? I am learning with this vehicle little things like this may make a difference.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hall View Post
I am running the stock tires, they at near the end of thier lifetime. The boss says I need to wear them out before I can purchase the Dick Cepek 35"s I want. I did have them balanced yesterday. I will try the tie rod ends, does anyone know the torque? I will also rotate the tires. Its been awhile since I rotated myself and not that this matters but, rears come straight foward and the fronts go to the rear diagonally right? I am learning with this vehicle little things like this may make a difference.
To check the TRE's:

Turn on the truck and have someone move the wheel quickly from left to right about 1". Move the wheel just enough to get the power steering to push on the components and then the other way quickly cycling back and forth. Watch all the joints for movement/slop. You will even see slop in the track-bar if there is any. Make sure the e-brake is on and/or your in PARK. you can also try this with the wheel turned to the right and left stops, sometime if the TRE is on the edge this will show signs of wear.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Rock God

first make sure your 100% on center with the alignment of the steering. So if the steering wheel is not 100% centered then it is possible for this to occur. Mine did this when going on a offramp and after continuing to adjust it finally went away.

Also make sure you are good with your camber adjustments. It plays into to the geometery as if it is to low you can get slight bumpsteer and a loose feeling to the steering which starts the problem. I got adjustable arms and brought mine back to 5degree and it helped.

Next check the toe in/out. Should be right around 1/8" or 0 to run smoother.

Also check that the axle is not shifted out to the drivers side after installing the lift. it's common for a 2.5" lift to shift it out 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Center the axle before adjusting the steering.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Wheeler

Track Bar, Track Bar, Track Bar

Like said above have someone turn the wheel, rock it back and forth. Look at the track bar bushings any movement will cause DW I have a 3' Terraflex lift and after many hard trail and road miles I developed a DW. I rebused everything and replaced balljoints and ballanced and rotated wheels. Turns out that the early Terraflex lifts had too weak of a trackbar and it would flex. Replaced with a heavy duty terraflex trackbar and problem solved. Still have the same tires. can I say it enough DW is most allways caused by a problem in the TRACKBAR!
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Hall View Post
I was running near the end of the stock tires.... after I had an alignment, new shocks, wheels balanced, new steering stabilizer.... turned out to be the tires. Hope you find out what's wrong, this is probably the most annoying thing that happens on a Jeep.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode