New Hood Latches - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question New Hood Latches

Hi all, Noob here!
A question for all of you. I just installed new Daystar hood latches on my '08 JK Sahara 4 door. They went on easy, and really do stop the hood from flapping! Now for the question: has anyone had the plastic anchor or latch actually break? There is definatly more tension in those parts, and I'm concerned that they may fail. I am a believer in Murphys Law, and was planning on throwing a spare set in the war bag just in case. Any info would be appreciated!

Last edited by Cortez_conversions; 05-30-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Openly Hostile

Ive had mine since they first came out and no problems.

Jason
post #3 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i just ttok the hood spring out and VIOLA no hood lift and best of all it was free

i now have the aev hood and im still hood lift free

www.jeepasylum.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Mine loosed up a bit with time. Not enough for the hood flutter to come back (over a year now with the hoodwranglers on) but enough to where Im not worried about loosing a finger when latching the hood anymore.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #5 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to VEGASSMAN Send a message via Yahoo to VEGASSMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
Mine loosed up a bit with time. Not enough for the hood flutter to come back (over a year now with the hoodwranglers on) but enough to where Im not worried about loosing a finger when latching the hood anymore.
13 months with my daystars and no problems...and Jeep is out in the desert sun 365 days/year. Just started garaging last month.
post #6 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for th input!
post #7 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

I put mine on last week. I was nervous too about the tightness but the next time I opened the hood, probably three or four days later, they had stretched out a little and were noticeably looser.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
post #8 of 18 Old 05-30-2009, 02:02 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Ive had mine since they first came out and no problems.
X2

They do loosen up a little, but continue to work well.

I'd tried all the other things like removing the spring, adding rubber, etc, and the only thing that actually worked apart from the Daystar latches was zip ties around the factory ones.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 AM
Wheeler

I dont get why you guys would put money into something that you do not need to.

As for the hood flying off...I say let it! Then you can sue the manufacturer....but in all seriousness they are not going to break or loosen with normal use because if they did then Chrysler would have one hell of a lawsuit.

As for removing the spring, I figured the manufacturer designed it this way, should the hood clips fail for some reason I dont want Chrysler saying I voided the warranty by altering the factory configuration.

That is my $.02 and if you dont like it I understand but we all have our own opinions.
post #10 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Openly Hostile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msokol13 View Post

As for the hood flying off...I say let it! Then you can sue the manufacturer....but in all seriousness they are not going to break or loosen with normal use because if they did then Chrysler would have one hell of a lawsuit.

As for removing the spring, I figured the manufacturer designed it this way, should the hood clips fail for some reason I dont want Chrysler saying I voided the warranty by altering the factory configuration.

That is my $.02 and if you dont like it I understand but we all have our own opinions.
Because my hood flopping up and down driving down the road was annoying as hell and its easily fixed for 25 bucks.

<sarcasm>
Have you modified anything on your jeep? Chrysler obviously designed everything the best way possible so why modify anything at all.
</sarcasm>

Jason
post #11 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 10:21 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post
Have you modified anything on your jeep? Chrysler obviously designed everything the best way possible so why modify anything at all.
That's why I kept my stock, apart from the Daystar hood wrangler mod that is
post #12 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A

Maybe i am special, But i never had this flutter everyone gets... Maybe it's because i drive below 65 all the time?

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
post #13 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM
Rock God

Id get it @ 65mph. Next time you're on the freeway, passing a big rig, watch your hood. I got used to it b4 I bought the hood wranglers, but everyone that rode with me was like WTF?!?! is your hood supposed to do that? A few times it would flutter so bad I could hear it BANG BANG on the latch. As far as hoping to get a settlement by waiting for it to fail. . . . Id rather be safe, spend 25 bucks and not deal with a hood flying up, breaking my windshield and blinding me on the highway so I can get hurt or hurt others. Im pretty sure it has happened too, didnt do a search (is lazy today) but I seem to remember someone on here posting about their hood flying up.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #14 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 10:47 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big A View Post
Maybe i am special, But i never had this flutter everyone gets... Maybe it's because i drive below 65 all the time?
Big A, I hope you are special. But next time you happen to drive with a combination of driving into the wind and having semi's heading towards you, you'll see what some of us have experienced. It can scare the crap out of you.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #15 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Rock God

That is my $.02 and if you dont like it I understand but we all have our own opinions.[/QUOTE]

I'm happy you have your opinion but fact is that they can break, it happened to me! I can also inform you that the YES essential seats do stain! Scariest thing that's ever happened to me on or offroad.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

How about some J8 style latches http://www.aev-conversions.com/J8/AEV_J8_Milspec_8.jpg

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, project-jk, jeep JK, JK wrangler, JK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
Maybe we should all post the thing? He prolly won't ban us all. You go first Dave
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 18 Old 05-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

I also removed the spring and no flutter, I couldnt believe that it worked as it was so simple and free to do

Blacked out 07 JKUR, safari straps, Treadwright 35's on stock rims and Spydertrax spacers, stubbied front bumper, trimmed flares, 2" body lift, 2" spacers in front with 1" spacers in rear, Gen Right Tire carrier, more to come!
post #18 of 18 Old 06-01-2009, 10:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

After a trip through NM winds Oct '07, the safety catch had beat the receiver enough to dent it. I removed the hood spring and added a hood lock in the center. No problems since.

It may never be an issue, but I figure over time the plastic is bound to get old and brittle. I've seen billet aluminum replacements somewhere, seems like quadratech sells them but pricey. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msokol13 View Post

Wow, you must have never been in a vehicle when the hood flew up. I was the passenger of a Ford pickup when it happened to a friend of mine. Besides the sudden shock of it and the cracked windshield, it also instantly blinds you. Luckily we were only going 35 or 40mph and he was able to react and pull off the road with his head out the window as fast as possible.

That was about 20 years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday. I say no thanks to round two.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode