Rock God

Currie...
post #3 of 31 Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I did the search thing but didn't find much

Of course, Gunny's front bumper looks exactly like what I had in mind, so my wallet just ran out of the room screaming...
post #5 of 31 Old 05-29-2009, 06:40 AM

I just bought my JK in March. Had a Rockhard bumper put on. So, I had to have a welding shop modify the brackets on a Blue-Ox tow bar so that they use the Rockhard's d-ring holders. Haven't towed it much yet, but so far it works fine. I liked that I didn't have to have a bunch of extra brackets and stuff on the Jeep.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

I tow mine with my trusty old Roadmaster Eagle 5000 tow bar and their brackets for the Mopar and Warn rock bumpers. They do mount under the bumper but they fit pretty tight up against the bumper.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #7 of 31 Old 05-30-2009, 02:19 AM
Granite Guru

Harbor freight $50.00 tow bar 10X down to San Felipe and back. Oh Yeah I use Harbor freights light kit too! Works great. No Probs>>>>>>>>>>>>

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-30-2009, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

Well, I may get flack for this, but I do not do hf or wally world...
post #9 of 31 Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Wheeler

I bought a Durrango 4x4 grizzly front bumper and use the front clevis mounts to attach a Roadmaster "sterling" tow bar. George @ Durrango made custom addaptors to connect to my tow bar. Very slick. No extra brackets etc. I've probably got 2000 miles of towing with zero issues. Love it.
post #10 of 31 Old 05-30-2009, 04:53 PM
Rock God

Currie is good-to-go
Attached Images

post #11 of 31 Old 05-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

I use the Currie base plate and adapted the ends on a roadmaster tow bar to fit. The hook up process is a bit quicker and the tow bar stays on the MoHo when we camp.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Wheeler

I use the Mopar tow bracket.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
post #13 of 31 Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Not my arena I drive mine daily.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #14 of 31 Old 06-01-2009, 01:33 PM
Rock God

We make a nice setup for those who have D-Rings on their bumper faces.

#860 collapsing class 3 towbar
#865 or #867 d-ring towbar adapters (865 uses a 3/4" pin and 867 uses a 7/8" pin)

Works good with any of our JK bumpers, even the 597 stubby. (Our bumpers as of a few months ago are all manufactured with the 7/8" D-Ring holes)

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 31 Old 06-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverkid View Post
Currie is good-to-go
do they list any speed limits on that setup? One of the reasons that I didn't consider it was that someone told me the speed limit was 55 mph...that won't fly for me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
We make a nice setup for those who have D-Rings on their bumper faces.

#860 collapsing class 3 towbar
#865 or #867 d-ring towbar adapters (865 uses a 3/4" pin and 867 uses a 7/8" pin)

Works good with any of our JK bumpers, even the 597 stubby. (Our bumpers as of a few months ago are all manufactured with the 7/8" D-Ring holes)
you guys have a speed limit on your setup?

I have the roadmaster receivers like jrodgers, only for the stock bumper and the roadmaster towbar...I love it, but it is pretty limiting if you go with an aftermarket bumper...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #16 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda13 View Post
you guys have a speed limit on your setup?

I have the roadmaster receivers like jrodgers, only for the stock bumper and the roadmaster towbar...I love it, but it is pretty limiting if you go with an aftermarket bumper...
I've never heard of a towbar having a speed limit. Any one that might be in place is probably for liability reasons to keep you towing at safe speeds.

WP has placed no "speed limit" on the towbar, but I would say that as long as you're towing at the limit set by the state for vehicles in tow, you're good to go.

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason @ Warrior View Post
I've never heard of a towbar having a speed limit. Any one that might be in place is probably for liability reasons to keep you towing at safe speeds.

WP has placed no "speed limit" on the towbar, but I would say that as long as you're towing at the limit set by the state for vehicles in tow, you're good to go.
Awesome...I don't want to sound like a speed freak or anything, I always obey traffic laws and speed limits when I tow...but I don't like being the one slowing the traffic down and being dangerous that way either...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #18 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Granite Guru

I believe the Mopar tow bar had a limit of 55 MPH (but I could be wrong). I originally had one since nothing else was available when I got my JK in October 2006.

I really didn't like how the Mopar tow bar attached the cross bar to the two brackets that are attached to the frame. It only used to 5/8" diameter pins held in with snap pins. This resulted in a very weak link in my opinion so I replaced them with bolts, washers, and nuts. You can see the overall Mopar setup in the first picture. The second pictures shows where I replaced those pins with grade 8 bolts and snap pins.

I am also pretty sure that Mopar not longer sells that tow bar. I wouldn't be surprised it they were recalled since I have seen several people complain that those pins came apart while towing.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #19 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Wheeler

This might seen dumb, But can you flat tow with a auto transmission? And if so what do I need to do to make this happen safely and without damage?
post #20 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Yes, flat towing with an automatic is just fine (as long as you do NOT have a 2WD JK). My JK is an automatic.

You put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. Leave the key in the first "accessory" position. Not in the lock position where you can remove the key and not in the "run" position that lights all of the idiot lights.

2007 Stone White Rubicon
post #21 of 31 Old 06-15-2009, 10:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

What's the cheapest (and still safe) way to flat tow a JK? I'm contemplating getting a WK (w/ 5.7) and my JK while I'm on leave and towing my JK from Charleston, WV to VA Beach, then up to NJ.

Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

post #22 of 31 Old 06-16-2009, 06:14 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrogers View Post
Yes, flat towing with an automatic is just fine (as long as you do NOT have a 2WD JK). My JK is an automatic.

You put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park. Leave the key in the first "accessory" position. Not in the lock position where you can remove the key and not in the "run" position that lights all of the idiot lights.
Thanks for the info
post #23 of 31 Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
What's the cheapest (and still safe) way to flat tow a JK? I'm contemplating getting a WK (w/ 5.7) and my JK while I'm on leave and towing my JK from Charleston, WV to VA Beach, then up to NJ.

Anyone?

probably the Currie setup mentioned above...but you will also need brakes...I use a portable brake buddy....

post #24 of 31 Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

cheapest

Looks to me like the warrior is the cheapest. If you buy it off Tellico4x4.com you get the tow bar for 199 and the universal d-ring adapters for 48. Then you need the wiring harness which it looks like the best option is the one for sale at cooltech.com. Then as the last post mentions, you are supposed to have a brake buddy or something similar to be legal in many states...remember that you have close to 5000 pounds pushing you down the hill...
post #25 of 31 Old 06-16-2009, 07:30 PM
Rock God

The CoolTech setup is a nice piece. Plugs right in behind the drivers taillight to the factory plugs. Ran it through the frame and put a regular switch connector in the Currie plate...
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode