How many here are going to run Upper Helldorado for the JK Experience Challenge? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

How many here are going to run Upper Helldorado for the JK Experience Challenge?

I am thinking about it. Tomorrow is the registration deadline.

I'd run it with my 2 dr on 40s. But, without 60s, I keep having 2nd thoughts.

Here is a video and some pics of street legal jeeps running it:

YouTube - TnT Customs Lowrider TJ on Upper Heldorado-First Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaired View Post
It's really just 3-4 obsticals. Built axles and 37's make it a very doable trail. 35's might hang you up in a spot or two or they may help?

Plan on a tap here

I think Shorter WB actually works better through here

No one shot for me on this trip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
JKO Addict!

The whole time I was thinking thats not that bad then I saw that last picture.....yeah I'd need new shorts.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 26 Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC View Post
The whole time I was thinking thats not that bad then I saw that last picture.....yeah I'd need new shorts.
...just a good winch.

Here are some videos of unwinched, successful attempts at the waterfall:

http://www.youtube.com/user/lincolnl.../1/DM0pVsuodUI

And, here are some more:

Skip to the last 15 seconds on the first one:

YouTube - Sam Upper Helldorado Waterfall

YouTube - WATERFALL on HELDORADO trail, (moab)

YouTube - Upper Helldorado Waterfall

YouTube - climbing the waterfall on helldorado

Last edited by planman; 04-11-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep, I would love to do it, but I have to haul ass back through 4 states with a hang-over on Thursday to be back at work Friday morning.

Looks like a built 2-door would own that trail, except for a quick winch up the waterfall. It honestly doesnt look as bad as a lot of the stuff that full-body rigs run in Johnson Valley.

Too bad I have to miss this one
post #5 of 26 Old 04-12-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I guess with the right spotter it wouldn't be overly expensive to do.

Thinking I would rather do it on 37s than 40s.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #6 of 26 Old 04-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

We wil be running it with our 2 door on 40 s...should be a good time.

Thanks!!
Joe Daro
Absolute Offroad

07 JK Rubicon with a "few" Mods....and NO!, My ESP light IS NOT ON!
post #7 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
JKO Addict!

Hell, we are in! What is another windshield in our Victim!

Rock Krawler
post #8 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm in also.

Probably will remove the windshield and roll bar padding first.

post #9 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM
It never ends...

I'm in. At least my jeep is. Might have a substitute driver if I have to get back to Denver.

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #10 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 04:16 PM
It never ends...

Mine will be on 43's. Windshield will be off.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #11 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Well, I drove my Suzuki buggy through it today.

Came to the realization that my JK is too tall and too wide to do the Squeeze with a stock cage. If I pulled my 40s on 3" net backspaced wheels and ran 35s on 4.5" backspaced wheels, I could probably do it. Or, if I had a custom aftermarket cage, I could do it.

It was a blast to run in the buggy. Those with the right JK builds will have a blast as well.

post #12 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
That's a bad ass pic!

Chuck
2009 JK Unlimited X, mostly stock with a K&N filter.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-21-2011, 03:31 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
...... Those with the right JK builds will have a blast as well.....

Good to meet you the other day. Think my rig will make it? I figure the cage will get scratched. So be it. Mike and Bob are taking it through there on Sat. I had to head back to Denver.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #14 of 26 Old 04-21-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
Good to meet you the other day. Think my rig will make it? I figure the cage will get scratched. So be it. Mike and Bob are taking it through there on Sat. I had to head back to Denver.
Gatekeeper, no problem.

Squeeze will take a winch to pull through. The combination of height and width is the issue. My 2 door could probably do it with 35s instead of 40s because I could be 2.5" shorter and 3.5" narrower.

Breakover Rock has 2 different approaches. Your 4 dr could make the right side without a winch. With your ubber cool TnT skids, with some momentum it could probably make the regular way.

The end Waterfall might be able to be driven with the right line, the front suspension sucked down, and everything emptied from the back of the jeep.

The Squeeze will be the interesting part. Your rig is so huge with 43s that the driver may be able to take a non-traditional line and drive it like a V notch instead of hugging the right side.

I plan to run my Suzuki rock buggy through it tomorrow with someone capturing it on video. I'll try to get it posted up tomorrow evening.

post #15 of 26 Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
It never ends...

Planman. Thx. I look forward to seeing the video. I know the TnT guys will tape Rex doing it on Sat. Should be cool.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #16 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 PM
It never ends...

Planman, how'd your zuki do? let's see the vid!

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #17 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Planman, how'd your zuki do? let's see the vid!
The buggy did great. Although, I did have to winch the Waterfall.

Unfortunately, my helper did not get video of the Squeeze--which is the obstacle of most consequence for a tall and wide rig.

I do have some video, but it is taking forever to upload.

Here is a pic of the Waterfall:

post #18 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 09:36 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
The buggy did great......
Thx. That looks like fun. You trying it tomorrow? That waterfall looks hairy. I've got a 121" wheelbase. Hopefully that will help mike, the driver. I've got to get back out there and do it myself!

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #19 of 26 Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

One view of Gatekeeper:

YouTube - Gatekeeper on Upper Helldorado

Breakover Rock:

YouTube - Video 6 (trimmed)

Waterfall:

YouTube - Video 10

post #20 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 01:02 PM
It never ends...

Planman, The TnT guys are chickening out!!!! They are doing a photoshoot or something. Afraid to scratch it without me! If you see them at BFE tell them for me to RUN IT!

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #21 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Granite Guru

Most people won't even let thier family drive thier lifted/modified jeeps much less let them run up that hellish trail. I guess If they will pay for anything that may break then its a good deal.

2011 4DR Rubi
rugged ridge fenders
38" KM2's on Pro Comp wheels
5.38 gears, Frt and Rear Ten Factory Axle shafts
2.5 RK Max Travel w/ Bilsten 5160's & 1.25 in body lift
c gussets, G2 Diff covers, & Poly Ball Joints
Metal Cloak stinger frt bpr w/ warn winch
Road Armor Rr Bpr

Going on soon!!
PSC Rocker Knockers
line-x tub

2005 Power Wagon on 35's
35" KM2's, XD Rockstar wheels, Tiregate, 2" lift, Frt lightbar
post #22 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Planman, The TnT guys are chickening out!!!! They are doing a photoshoot or something. Afraid to scratch it without me! If you see them at BFE tell them for me to RUN IT!
I saw your rig parked there, but I didn't see them.

No non-vendor rigs did it.

I expected more carnage than there was. A D60 u-joint, ARB airline, and of course, busted tail lenses and dented body parts, but not too bad.

Clifton was the best spotter. He guided the Falken 4 door on 37" ATs unscathed through the Squeeze, and with less than expected rock rash through the rest.

I would run mine through it with 35s. My 40s with my wheel spacers just put me too wide and under axle'd with D44s.

post #23 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM
It never ends...

Quote:
I saw your rig parked there, but I didn't see them...

Thx. Oh well. I wish they would have done it. I'll have to go back and do it. Good reason to go to Moab again! I'll see you in June in SD.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
post #24 of 26 Old 04-23-2011, 08:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Hey guys, I just posted a bunch of pics and video's of this run this morning in the other events thread...sorry lefthandrubi..I didn't know that was you in the green 4dr I was taking pics of. I was the one wearing all the PSC hat and hoodie when you were turning around. Kool rig you got there.

Planman...I missed meeting you..I didn't know you were there..plus I have no idea what you look like..But I was on top of the fall's, on the left hand side in all the PSC gear.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #25 of 26 Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
It never ends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
Hey guys, I just posted a bunch of pics and video's of this run this morning in the other events thread...sorry lefthandrubi..I didn't know that was you in the green 4dr I was taking pics of. I was the one wearing all the PSC hat and hoodie when you were turning around. Kool rig you got there..
thx. Any good pics? Post em! Wasn't me in my rig (named Rex). I had to head back to Denver so couldnt make the run. I loaned it to the TnT guys for a few days. I wanted them to run it but they were uncomfortable doing it...so I'm told. I will put Rex through there sometime in the next couple of months.

T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode